Banding/inlay bending advise, please

bariukish

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My woodworking resume doesn't include bending so any advise would be appreciated. I have some flat sawn mahogany that I have milled into banding/ inlay strips, 1/8" thick and 1/4 across the face. I'd like to bend them 180 degrees on a 3/4" radius. I made a little pipe/propane bender gizmo but have't had much luck with it. I don't need a production bender. Is a 3/4" radius just wishful thinking? Suggestions. Thanks.

1/8" is really thick for any kind of bending. That radius would be a challenge even at .080", which is a good general bending thickness.

Maybe use two layers of 1/16"?

1/8" is really thick for any kind of bending. That radius would be a challenge even at .080", which is a good general bending thickness.

Maybe use two layers of 1/16"?

This is probably the way to go. I think I'll chuck up a sanding cylinder in my drill press and shave a section of the 1/8" down to .050-.060. Then try steaming for a while. If that fails, maybe multiple thin saw kerfs along a 2-3" section. If my patience holds out, I'll figure something. Thanks for the input.

Thinner strips will bend more easily, but you can most likely do what you're trying to do as long as you are using a back strap to bend with. That small of a radius will usually break even in thinner pieces if you're not supporting the rear of the bend. Steaming shouldn't be necessary for binding; a quick spritz with a spray bottle should work fine once you get used to the mechanics of bending.

Yep...3/4" is too tight for 1/8" thick wood unless you're really lucky. Most binding is 0.08" thick and even that can be hard to bend into the waist area of a ukulele. Routing the binding rabbet 1/8" x 1/4" would be cutting well into the linings too. If you have small kerfed linings it might make it weak.
I usually keep my bindings about 0.075 - 0.08" and add a shallow strip of purfling to the top if I want a thicker look.

Top Bottom