Tuning - tuning peg screws

aalan004

Reaction score
Are there tuning benefits to tightening tuning peg screws? Or is it easier to tune a uke when they are looser? What's the appropriate tenseness? Can you go to tight or too loose?

Your tuning peg tension screw pressure should be just enough to cancel-out the string tension, keeping the peg stationary (and keeping the string in tune). If there's too little tension at the peg, the string will unwind. If there's too much tension at the peg, it will be harder to tune to pitch.

There is such a thing as enough. It applies in many areas of life. We might disagree on how much is enough caffeine, or alchohol, or sex, but it is pretty obvious when you've had too much.

It's the same with tightening your tuning pegs.

Ukantor.

ps. Edited to say. It doesn't REALLY apply to sex.

Last edited:
There is fine line between too tight and too loose. I've see a perfect tension change when the temps change (I guess the wood, metal plastice all expand/contract a little, so I carry a small screwdriver around in case. Usually if I can turn the screw real easy it is too loose and the peg moves withthe string tension, once I start getting resistance I tighten in small amounts 1/16 intrements until it wont slip when I bend that string.

Top Bottom