New Kala Tenor Guitar...uke tuning...?

Tenor guitars are cool. They can be tuned in several ways and have a nice mellow sound.

I just got this Pono nylon string tenor guitar that's tuned DGBE, like a baritone ukulele. I have a Blueridge steel string tenor guitar that's also tuned DGBE. Fred, I'm curious as to how your Blueridge sounds tuned GCEA - I have a Compass Rose octave ukulele tuned GCEA an octave lower than a tenor ukulele, and it sounds nice with "regular" ukuleles.

I just got this Pono nylon string tenor guitar that's tuned DGBE, like a baritone ukulele. I have a Blueridge steel string tenor guitar that's also tuned DGBE. Fred, I'm curious as to how your Blueridge sounds tuned GCEA - I have a Compass Rose octave ukulele tuned GCEA an octave lower than a tenor ukulele, and it sounds nice with "regular" ukuleles.

What's your opinion about the Pono TG versus the Blueridge? Do the nylon strings resonate well enough to compete with the Blueridge? Am really curious as the Pono has really caught my eye. With three nice TG options out there now (Kala, Pono and Blueridge) it makes for interesting choices.

What's your opinion about the Pono TG versus the Blueridge? Do the nylon strings resonate well enough to compete with the Blueridge? Am really curious as the Pono has really caught my eye. With three nice TG options out there now (Kala, Pono and Blueridge) it makes for interesting choices.

So far, my Pono is quieter than my Blueridge. That could be nylon vs. steel strings, or it could be that the Pono hasn't opened up yet. I think the Pono is a great instrument for people who might want a larger-than-baritone experience or who want to be able to play a tenor guitar (which offers tuning options that may be harder to achieve on a baritone ukulele) but don't like steel strings. It seems to be built really well.

Tenor G

Mds...
Bringing it to Burning Uke...you bringing the CR?

Would like to see the Pono...

Ok...........you guys have my head swimming with possiblities. I gave up on the steel string acoustic guitar for the ukulele. I still own a lovely Larrivee that never sees the light of day any more, but would love to play something with a bigger sound and only 4 strings.

Has anyone had success with these tenor type guitars tuned to GCEA, I want to keep it simple, like me. Thanks for sharing this stuff with us, I will be looking at big ones now:cool:

FYI...A friend of mine just sent me this link...

Apparently there's a new Kala tenor. I recently bought a Blueridge tenor and put light strings on it and have it tuned GCEA, same as tenor uke. Adds a nice sound to our uke jam band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrhQ-wqpXio&feature=youtu.be&t=1s

Would be really great to hear how your Blueridge sounds. What I'm most interested to know is how is the resonance?

Also, I heard the Kala will be in stock in approximately 2-3 weeks.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Would be really great to hear how your Blueridge sounds. What I'm most interested to know is how is the resonance?

Also, I heard the Kala will be in stock in approximately 2-3 weeks.

Thanks.

Here's the link to a video comparing a Blueridge tenor guitar and two baritone ukuleles. The tenor guitar is tuned DGBE, not GCEA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iXztZXiPIo

Ok...........you guys have my head swimming with possiblities. I gave up on the steel string acoustic guitar for the ukulele. I still own a lovely Larrivee that never sees the light of day any more, but would love to play something with a bigger sound and only 4 strings.

Has anyone had success with these tenor type guitars tuned to GCEA, I want to keep it simple, like me. Thanks for sharing this stuff with us, I will be looking at big ones now:cool:

I've done the reverse. I spend a lot of time on the Tenor Guitar, Tenor Banjo and Mandolin. The TG and TB alternate back and forth from CGDA to GDAE tuning, but now are on CGDA. I have one M tuned GDAE and the other two CGDA (mandola style). So, to keep the fingers and brain in one "gear pattern" have tried GDAE and CGDA on the ukes, recently settling for CGDA on all. That "keeping it all together" has helped me get better on all these instruments and made jumping from one instrument to another (depending on the song and situation) much easier.

Top Bottom