Should I trade in to buy something else

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a Larrivee L01 acoustic guitar that is about 8 years old. I bought it in hopes of really learning how to play guitar. I had a little success but it was a very on off, more off, type of effort. It did lead me to the uke 6 months ago and I am a 10X better uke player than I ever was on guitar, course all the time on the Larrivee helped my jump to the uke.

Here is the dilemma I am feeling like trading it in for credit towards a nice tenor, possibly a Koaloha. I loved that guitar, the look, the feel, the sound and the fact it was made by a Canadian in Canada. Solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides and back and all of it has some beautiful grain and a little flaming on the hog. But I never got to the point of playing proficiently and never will because it is all about the uke for me.

Might be nice to keep it and pass it down to a grandchild, if that ever happens. I am torn so tell me what you would do and or if you have done something like this before.

Trade it. You can always pass one of your 'ukuleles down to a grandchild (if that ever happens).

Dave,
I recently sold my guitar, just because I wanted more room for ukes. I wasn't prgressing well on it, and well, I just like the sound of my ukes so much better. Maybe somone else will play your guitar and get more use out of it!

Yep, trade it for an upgraded uke. You won't regret it. I have the first Breedlove CM guitar built languishing in my closet once I found the uke. I'd like to sell it but not sure where to take it because of it's uniqueness.

I have a no-name brand nylon string guitar that my dad bought with S&H Green Stamps in the late 1960s and gave to me when I went off to college. It has followed me everywhere I've been, and I recently had it cleaned and restrung. It has little monetary value but a lot of sentimental value, so I've been reluctant to get rid of it, even though I never really played it and recently bought a much nicer steel string dreadnaught guitar. Now I'm thinking of donating it to Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto, which has been collecting guitars as part of a local program to teach veterans with PTSD to play the guitar as part of their treatment. I guess my bottom line is that I'd rather see the guitar get played and bring joy to someone who will use it than to have it languish in my apartment because I'm attached to it.

Or hang onto it as the house guitar for guitar players to play if they come over and didn't bring their own.

And why not get a uke made in Canada if that is important to you? There are a lot of really good luthiers up there in the cold north, eh. Too bad Larrivee ukes aren't made in Canada anymore. Not that they're made anymore anyway!

If it's a private party trade, then you can recoup fair value. If it's a deal with a commercial vendor, then whatever the "commercial used retail sale" price is, odds are the trader is only going to get no more than 2/3rds of that price. Under those conditions, a "trade-in" may not be worth it.

Rule of thumb: A retailer isn't going to give you more than the wholesale value of a recent vintage factory instrument. Why should they? They may tie you up in shell game-like number crunching, but in the end they need to make their margins to keep the store alive, and the margins are going to come from selling a used guitar or on selling you a uke or both. The exception may be working with the dealer from which you bought it in the first place IF it's in nearly brand new condition. You might want to check the Bluebook value or Vintage Guitar Magazine's used guitar value pages.

I'm ok with letting things go if they are not being used, but from my personal experience, I have regretted some trade-ups and should have held on to what I had ( I know sometimes you might not be able to afford to). There's an old Fender bass on the list, for sure. My guitar doesn't get played much, except by my son, but it's great to have when the spirit moves me or when a guitar player comes over and we can jam. I'd say keep it, especially since you like it.

My Son kind of "switched from guitar to uke, except that he was somewhat proficient at playing guitar. He does periodically get the urge to play guitar and has a favorite or two that he'll never get rid of. Sounds like your Larrivee is one of those "keepers." In addition, Rick gave you an additional reason to keep it (now you have two)!!! Lots of great tenor ukes just calling your name...............Dave...........oh Dave...........pick me! :music:

Put the vintage guitar on eBay--a fixed price, Buy It Now, recurring listing so you needn't even think about it--for a lofty price so that if some overseas gazillionaire springs for it, you can sleep at night because it sold well.

In the meantime, open a lemonade stand to fund the KoAloha. At twenty-five cents a cup, you only need to sell four thousand cups to get that sweet uke.

Bonus tip: adults, even those not thirsty, are suckers for cute kids with good stories shilling sugary beverages, stirred with wooden spoons, from a roadside stand.

Man your lemonade stand with irresistible tykes, who claim to be saving up to buy their slowly-dying mother the baby grand piano that she's always wanted, and you ought to have that KoAloha in a whip-stitch, Dave.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input so far guys and girls. My reason for getting rid of the guitar is I have not touched it in about a year and I am trying to develop a non-hoarder mind set. At the age of 57 and being a guy with a number of hobby/activities I have a lot of STUFF, I am feeling the need to let go of some of this stuff.

There is a very good point of keeping it around for guitar playing friends and family, I never even thought of that, great idea. I don't need to sell it for the money, I am fortunate to be in a position in life were money is not the issue, although I do like lemonade and cute little kids........too funny CK1. I would take it to the guitar store where I bought it as they also sell Koaloha ukuleles. I am sure I will take a bit of a bath on it but I am in business and I understand and accept that.

So I am still undecided but It is fun and informative to hear other peoples views and experience, helps with the fleshing out process.

Last edited:
You will get hosed on trade in value. The 01 Larrivée's are snatched up quickly when sold on line. Better money in a direct to consumer sale.

Keep the guitar. I like Rick's idea of having it as your "house guitar." That you are asking the opinions of this well-intended bunch of misfit strangers tells me that you still have some attachment to the guitar. You'll regret it the moment you sell it.

Lots of good advice about selling, though.

Well, you can always put a "FT:..." listing in the marketplace forum, identifying a range of stuff you'd be interested in getting for trade. Nothing ventured....and at worse case you get to communicate with some neat folk.

I once had a Larrivee' D10 that was beautiful and sounded even better than it looked. I still regret selling it. However, I replaced it with a guitar that I like even more. Even so, I seldom play guitar anymore. I have considered selling this one (made by luthier Kent Everett), but then I get it out and play it. I just don't think I could part with it.

All that being said, if you don't enjoy playing guitar, sell/trade it. It would be similar to me buying a piano, deciding that I don't like playing it, and then keeping it just because. That doesn't make good sense to me.

Keep the guitar. I like Rick's idea of having it as your "house guitar." That you are asking the opinions of this well-intended bunch of misfit strangers tells me that you still have some attachment to the guitar. You'll regret it the moment you sell it.
My husband inherited an Ibanez acoustic guitar. He didn't play. I was mostly a classical guitar player, but thought it would be nice to have an acoustic around for when his buddies came over to drink and one of them would inevitably want to "see" one of my guitars.

The Ibanez filled the bill a number of times. My husband is gone now, but I can't bring myself to part with the guitar. I know I would regret selling it.

If money and space aren't issues, I would definitely keep it.

Top Bottom