NUD Asturias Solo Ukulele

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just picked up this really cool, sweet sounding uke. Solid Rosewood top back and sides, Mahogany neck. Having a hard time putting' it down. Maybe some sound samples this weekend when the typhoon roles in.

I own an Asturias, very similar to the one you own, Uncle Leroy, and it is the best overall instrument that I have ever owned for intonation, build and finish (gloss). It's impeccable. Even the wide bridge is glossed and a jewel of craftsmanship. Not one missed joint. Not one imperfection. Very open sounding (as opposed to Kiwayas, that I've always found tighter, with less resonance). It is so sweetly toned...and I could hear the chime of its unique sound even in HMS's video. Here's the one just like it now. The sound of mine is just like this one that Corey is playing. It's unique and hard to describe. It sounds nothing like my Martins. Is that what yours sounds like, Uncle Leroy? Did you swim over to the island to get yours? lol All Rosewood, interesting.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/asturi...-rosewood.html

Straight from the island of Kyushu, it's one of the highly uncommon small-bodied ukes with a cutaway design. And, yes, it plays and intones well even in the cut. It's also uncommon to find a small-bodied uke, with the sound only a soprano body can provide, that has a wide tie-bridge, and that has topwood that differs from the body wood (mine is spruce, the one at HMS now is cedar). I love mine, particularly for finger-picking as the sound is very delicate, yet not muted; nuanced and clean. I think it best for high G, and best as a solo instrument rather than a group strumfest. It's lightly built and I can't imagine putting a pickup in it. I splurged and Andrew's team upgrade mine to Gotoh UPT tuners as my personal preference is no ears of geared tuners, and it was worthwhile--they did an amazing job on my supersoprano.
http://www.asturias.jp/about/?lang=en

Thanks.

Very nice--I had thought about getting one of these--don't really play sopranos though, but I like it

That is some gorgeous striping in the rosewood. I've been drooling over the one Andrew has at HMS for some time. It has the cedar top which I tend to favor as a sound board.

Thanks DK. I am still trying to learn how to take good pictures. Koolkayaker1, on Okinawa where I live the uke selection is pretty slim. When I saw this in the local mom and pop store I was curious. It is a concert scale on a somewhat smaller body. You are right about the intonation and playability. Right off the shelf it is spot on all the way up the neck. I'm not really good at describing tone but I would say that this uke has a very clear tone with a great amount of sustain. The build quality is absolutely flawless both inside and out. My only complaint is that it didn't come with a case and the store didn't have anything that really fit. I will try and get some sound samples or video up over the weekend.

Top Bottom