Misc beginner questions: Buzzing, low G for flea, Bb chord, straps

cunparis

Reaction score
Hi,

I have several questions that have been puzzling me and I hope someone can answer:

My baritone uke has a buzz on the G string 2nd fret. The G string has a little bit of a kink in it (very small) right by this fret and I wonder if that could be causing it. I've had the baritone for a few years but I haven't played it that much in that time (shame on me). Is it possible to take the string off, trim it slightly and restring it so that the kink isn't right near the fret? I don't have a spare set of strings so i'll have to order some if I need to change the string completely. It's a Lanikai.

Next question: I've had an aquila low G string on my flea soprano for a year now (but again I don't play uke very often). I read today that one shouldn't do that, one should use unwound strings on the flea's with a plastic fretboard like mine. I just looked at it and I don't see any wear. Should I take off my low G string right away to avoid damaging it? What good unwound brand would you recommend for low G?

For strumming: I have a hard time going from say (using Baritone names/shapes): C to F and from F to others. I feel like I'm going to drop the uke if I take off all fingers at the same time. Is this normal when learning to change chords? I can change between the other common chords ok. For the F I have been putting the first finger across all 4 frets (like a barre chord?), but in the uke chord charts I see it indicates putting the first finger on the high 2 strings only. Which way is better?

Related question: I think I'd like to have a strap on both my soprano and baritone. Do I need to install a strap button? The baritone is wood so it shouldn't be too hard but on the soprano it's plastic so I'm not sure if it's still possible. Can someone recommend something? Is there a way to put a strap on the soprano without permanently attaching anything? I saw a uke leash but they're pricey.

Buzzing G string ... yes, the kink may be the issue, you may be able to remove the string completely and re-fit it "upside down", the end that was at the bridge to the machine head etc., but you may also have a slightly irregular fret wire ... worth checking with a straight-edge, unless you've got a radiused fretboard, when this obviously won't work.

Wound/unwound strings on plastic fretboards ... I can see the potential for problems, theoretically, but if you're not seeing an issue, maybe it's down to style of playing? However, I can recommend Aquila "reds" with a low G as a good non-wound set of strings ... there may be others ;)

Strumming etc. ... fit a strap, no question! However, straps on a plastic flea is not a scenario I've had experience with so I can't make a specific recommendation, they're a slightly unusual shape. The manufacturers may be able to help, else someone else here may come along with a suggestion. On the baritone, either a single strap-button with the other end tied off at the machine heads (my preferred configuration) or a second button on the "heel" of the neck will take away all the problems of worrying about dropping the silly thing when changing chords and generally make your whole playing experience a lot more comfortable. I would suggest not getting a 2" (5cm) wide "guitar" strap, I find these to be overkill on a lightweight instrument. Straps sold for a mandolin can be very suitable, but do check for length, I use a longer strap on my baritone than I do on my mandolin. A suitable "strap" can be made from an appropriate length of 1/4" (6mm) decorative cord, the sort of thing that is sold for curtain tie-backs and dressing gown ties. The light weight of a ukulele means even something this thin is perfectly comfortable, IMHO.

Hope this all helps :)

Quick and dirty flea/fluke strap.Use a self adhesive 'cable tidy clip' or hook and stick that to the bottom. Get bootlace. Tie one end to head stock, the other to the thing you've stuck on the bottom.

Next question: I've had an aquila low G string on my flea soprano for a year now (but again I don't play uke very often). I read today that one shouldn't do that, one should use unwound strings on the flea's with a plastic fretboard like mine. I just looked at it and I don't see any wear. Should I take off my low G string right away to avoid damaging it? What good unwound brand would you recommend for low G.

Two problems arise when putting an unwound low-G on a Flea with the plastic fretboard (I know. I have one). The unwound low-G has a much wider diameter than the high-G.

Problem 1. The unwound low-G does not fit the nut slot which has been factory-cut for the narrower high-G string. If the string does not fit the nut slot cleanly, it won't properly rest on the Zero-Fret next to the nut. If that happens, buzzing and/or intonation problems arise.

Problem 2. The unwound low-G does not fit in the saddle slot which has been factory cut for the narrower high-G string. If forced into the slot, the unwound low-G will be cut partially through and snap when put under tension. This snapping is quite common when an unwound string is forced into the wrong sized nut or saddle slot.

On my Flea I widened the nut slot and the saddle slot to accommodate the wider diameter low-G. This is a "permanent fix" which should only be considered carefully. Also, doing such a fix requires the right kind of files and some experience in making these modifications, as there really is no second chance.

Pundabaya wrote :
Quick and dirty flea/fluke strap.Use a self adhesive 'cable tidy clip' or hook and stick that to the bottom. Get bootlace. Tie one end to head stock, the other to the thing you've stuck on the bottom.
... nice :cool:

SteveZ wrote :
This is a "permanent fix" which should only be considered carefully. Also, doing such a fix requires the right kind of files and some experience in making these modifications, as there really is no second chance.
Not permanent, inconvenient, maybe, but it's no big deal to superglue a scrap of hard plastic into an oversize slot and start again. Life can certainly be easier with the "right kind of files", but a folded piece of fine abrasive paper can give a narrow-enough cutting edge for the odd nut or saddle modification, for very little expenditure :)

I like Worth unwound Low G strings and Living Water Low G. Ken Middleton makes the Living Water Strings, and you can order directly from him.http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/pages/lws.aspx
For your Flea, I would recommend a Uke Leash, so you don't have to install a button or put on any DIY eyesores on your nice uke. I find a strap, either a Uke Leash (no- button strap), or a Uke Leash Guitar Style Strap solved all my uke slipping problems, and allowed me to concentrate on playing clean notes. I would suggest a full strap for the baritone, and if you don't get my Uke Leash, look for a Mandolin strap. If you have a top heavy uke, and a slippery strap, you might prefer a headstock connection rather than 2 button connection. A top heavy uke will still fall out of position with a two button system unless there is a lot of friction on the strap to keep it from rotating. A sound hole hook style strap will hold the uke up, but won't hold the neck steady, and could mar your uke at it's most delicate surface.
Welcome to UU!
Lori

Top Bottom