Ernest Ka' ai

Peterjens

Reaction score
I attend a weekly 'ukulele group in the Portland, OR metro area. We meet in a senior activity center. I arrived early one day and decided to restring my Martin 0 after having bought new strings on the way to the center. One of the strings was stuck in the bridge slot so I ventured within the center in search of pliers. Kelai, who is a clerk in the gift shop had pliers. She noticed my Martin and said, "My grandfather is Ernest Ka'ai," and proceeded to tell me that he wrote the first 'ukulele method book in the early 1900s. I later googled his name to read more about Mr. Ka'ai. Then while reading Tom Walsh and John King's book - The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Giant Guitar, I learned even more. Yesterday I took the Martin Ukulele book to share with Kelai how in other ways her grandfather had played a part in the history of the 'ukulele. She took delight in every word in the book. Grandfather Ka'ai died before she was born but she did share some stories her father had told her about her grandfather.

Kelai's smile was fuller and brighter as we said goodbye and I swear my Martin sounded fuller and brighter as I played it later in the 'uke group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Kaʻai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-owEOQXR0

Kelai used to come to my ukulele group in Troutdale, the Columbia River Gorge Ukulele Association. She told me about her grandfather also and since then I have learned a number of his wonderful compositions thanks to the work of John King. Please tell Kelai I said hello for me the next time you see her. Thanks!

That's an obscenely gorgeous little soprano in that video Peter. With small fingers and thin nails, I can't quite pull off those kind of rolls. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed all of the post.

I love everything about this post. I love the story, I love Ernest Ka'ai's compositions and I love John King's playing and arranging. It just reminded me how much I love this little instrument and those who play it. Sorry if that's too much love for one post, but I'm feeling it!

That's a great anecdote. I play his arrangements often. I wish he made records with solo uke.

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, every time I see John King play with those big fingers, I think how lame it is for me to want a 1 1/2 inch fretboard on a soprano.

Top Bottom