Season 136 The "Nifty Fifties"

50s!

A dreary decade here but it saw the birth of some great music. I remember being wowed by Rock 'n' Roll but I had to into the kitchen to listen on the radio. My Dad hated it.

I'll need to check what I've already recorded. I hosted a Rock 'n' Roll week some time ago.

Noooo This is so much more than R&R Geoff. Its not a R&R week. The genre is open and there was plenty of good Folk music of that time. The Crooners were still big at that time too. Remember the rules. You'll make the playlist if its a new recording of a song you haven't previously done. I really want to hear from you. I hope you take a look around and bring something to 136 :)

Nice one Linda........50's .........Elvis........Sorted !! :cool:

Playlists are up and running. We've gotten off to a fine start here this morning! Thank You:)

Pabrizzer- “Folsom Prison Blues” I really loved the shuffle between the two chords that keep pushing this forward. Cash use the drum to do that. What you've doe really works and gives this a bluesy feel. Love the harp work so much. I recently read about the "Cresent City" and was equally disappointed but its a great song and I love this version. Thanks Brian for kicking this one off so well!

Pabrizzer- “Everything” Wow, This is just beautiful slowed down and pabrizzered like this. Your vocals are among the best on YT. Boy do I remember dancing to this as a child, and sing this and Peggy Sue at the top of our lungs. I remember well doing the "Pony" with my sister. Your probably to young to remember the "Pony" ;-)

Birdseyeview- “Answer Me My Love”- This is GREAT! I do love this Lynda. Its all about making a song your own and you did this just right. I really like it unplugged and the picking breaks were really nice. Thanks for joining in and finding some time for the 136th

Greyghost- Yes, “La Bamba”! I love this song and remember well thinking I was singing it right. Very good job on this Luis. I loved your new 8 string. Is it an OS? She sounded great! Thanks so much for starting the Valen's playlist off right.

Greyghost- “All Shook Up” Who wouldn't love this? This is *a great song. I love what you've done here with the strum imitation of the original. What a great choice of song for you. Nice job on this and once again your the first on the Elvis list. Thanks for kicking it off with a great one.

Greghost- “Dont Be Cruel” Yes, you are on a roll and your bringing the best of Elvis. This is fantastic fun to reminisce with all these songs. Love the strumming on this one too.

Strumsilly- "Love Me Tender" Andy, this is just beautiful. One of Elvis's most beautiful songs too. Love what you've done on the uke and your vocals are always so beautiful. Even the bird joined in.

UkeFoote- "Rawhide" Tsh, Yip, Haw! Move em' out! This is so much fun Brian. Just the perfect song for you to bring this morning. I didn't realize what a mouthful this song is until now. What a fantastic job you've done with this and that uke sounds great. Some fine strum work here. Thanks for joining in.

Here's a Buddy Holly Bonus. "Peggy Sue Got Married" is one of the first rock & roll "sequels," a follow-up, of course, to the monster hit, "Peggy Sue."

Oddly, even though I'm only 22, Elvis is one of, if not my favorite, favorites. Sadly... most of my faves by him (and most of the ones I've done with guitar in the past) are from the early 60s and on... well. I can dig a season where I learn to play something new.

I reckon there'll be some great videos this week as there are so many great songs. There is also my video ;^)
I'm getting in early this week, which means I might manage more than one. I'll be going to a couple of Open mics this week so I might try to get a live recording with an audience.
Anyway here is Dean Martin from 1955 played in the 'Saharan Surf' style.

Grew up on this stuff- and I am going to jump in with both feet, in spite of fighting the crud still (GRRRR).
Oh well, those kids haven't killed me yet. Here's a fifties sing-a-long for y'all. I reckon it is the best one...but that is only because me and my dad do an AMAZING a'cappelle version of it whenever it comes on- have since I was old enough to talk ;)

Howdy Gang and many thanks Linda for hosting a great season and boy so many of my favourite performers started in this decade and some mighty fine music made as well.
Well here is a Elvis number 1 from 1958 "Hard headed Woman"

Some facts according to Wiki : "Hard Headed Woman" is a #1 rock and roll song recorded by Elvis Presley and published by Gladys Music, Presley's publishing company in 1958. It is an American 12-bar blues written by African American songwriter Claude Demetrius. It was most notably recorded as a rock and roll song by Presley as part of the soundtrack for his 1958 motion picture King Creole, and was included on the record album of the same name. The song was also released as a 45rpm single and in 1958 went to No. 1 on the Billboard charts and went to number two for two weeks on the R&B chart.[1] It became the first rock and roll single to earn the RIAA designation of Gold Record.
The song has also been recorded by Wanda Jackson, among others.

Two of my possibles were recorded in 1960. Grrrr.

Great theme though Linda! Got a couple still in mind.

Me again folks and another song by the King i love his early songs so much, my dream is one day to visit Sun Studios as many of my music hero's recorded there.
Here is some song facts from wiki : Elvis Presley & The Blue Moon Boys version of "Milk Cow Blues"

Elvis Presley, accompanied by Scotty Moore on guitar and Bill Black on bass, recorded a rockabilly version retitled "Milkcow Blues Boogie" at Sun Records in November or December 1954. The arrangement was closer to Wills' version than to the Arnold original. The single was released in January 8, 1955 with "You're a Heartbreaker" as the B-side, but would not be released on LP until 1959, when it was included on the RCA LP A Date with Elvis.

This is a great season, Linda. Hey Bartender was written by Floyd Dixon in 1954 and covered by several. I first heard it in 1978 by the Blues Brothers.

SOTU 136 - Only Make Believe

My apologies to TCK - I just got through recording this and realized you had already posted it. Love it clovered up...much better. I agree...a great song!

Last edited:
Top Bottom