Advice to you all..

tsudawuda

Reaction score
dont give up on the ukulele. its not limited to what it can and cannot play. the guitar does not completly blow away the uke on any contest. it is compatible with any type of music. and most importantly, even if you think you arent the best singer, who cares? sing from your heart. love your instrument, dont break that bond.

this is my advice to whoever even cares to read this. im sorry but i couldnt handle the nonstop crap that was thrown at me. thus, my uke, my baby, is now locked up. dont be like me.

wha??? you locked your uke away? no way. dude. you cant try to sell something and not use your own product... unless you are a life insurance broker.

bring her back out. satisfy YOUR heart. screw the rest.

i cant tell you how much it hurts to find out someone has lost their taste for the music. please tell me im over reacting to your words and that there is a hidden meaning between the lines that im not seeing.

I feel yah bro...

Crap thrown at you? What do you mean?

like when a snobby guitarist looks at the uke like a childs toy and makes really rude comments about it. at every damn chance they get. and tells everyone about it. that pisses me off.

or like when a guy you dont even know ask to play with your uke and holds on to it for like twenty minutes. and the way they play it sounds like the strings are going to snap. and for some unknown reason they drop it.

i have a limit how much i can take.

im surprised how low my tolerance is.

i do regret it though. Penelo's literally locked up in a case. you might think its weird, but i dont want to put my uke through all the crap again.

the worst part is, two of my best buds lost respect for some reason. *sigh* i cant jam w/ them anymore.

Last edited:
wow... dude u live around some really ignorant people. I don't even think they should be called musicians cuz a real musician wouldn't put u down for playing a ukulele. They might snicker about it, "look at him he's playing a baby guitar." But when u make ur ukulele sing, like really frickin really sing, people will be like man thats frickin beautiful with a tear in their eye. Thats why u need to take ur ukulele out and jus work it till u can change the mind of any ignorant person thats doubted you and snickered at you jus becuz u play sumtin they are not accustomed to. Plus, ukulele brings the ladies. ;)

or like when a guy you dont even know ask to play with your uke and holds on to it for like twenty minutes. and the way they play it sounds like the strings are going to snap. and for some unknown reason they drop it.

Makes me feel sick inside. Even the littlest kids I teach know better than to treat an instrument like that. There's a big difference between playing an instrument and playing around with it. And if that guy didn't get that, then you should have taken it away from him and made him go cry in the corner.

It's true, though, people still think of the ukulele as a toy and not an instrument. We need to show people that it's much more than those similar-shaped plastic souvenirs you can get for five bucks in the hotel gift shop.

Penelo isn't changing anybody's mind, hidden away in a case.

That's tough. If you're really giving up - that's weak. Then you've been defeated. If you stop playing the the uke things will only get worse; just trust me. Do not quit. They might never let you live it down if you make it end like this.

Honesty, I used to think the uke was just a cheap guitar knock-off; then I heard a few of you sing and play songs on your ukes; I was amazed. I coundn't believe the talent I've witnessed with such an underated instrument. Than I thought to myself, I want to play and sing how you guys do. Although the uke isn't my instrument, I've developed a certain respect for uke players; a respect that I don't even have guitarist. What does it say about a person who chooses what would appear to be the less of two, and create something even more beautiful than it was thought capable and perhaps even more beautiful that it's competitor? It means you have vision. It means you're willing to put a fight even though the odds are against you. Tsudawuda, if you were really passionate about playing the uke then you wouldn't even be "locking up" your Penelo.

Last edited:
so what if some guitarist give you crao for your instrument. tell them to their face that they can suck on Mozart's 4th Sonata and then continue to play.

if people want to hold it, say that you dont like people who touch your uke because of others almost breaking it.

i dont let anyone touch my uke unless i know that person knows how to play an instrument and cares as much as i do when they hold it.

give it some time bro. you made a lot of stuff happen already just by you alone on these forums.

I feel your pain bro,
But giving up is not the answer.
You don't want to look back in 10-20 years, and remember how you used to love to play music on your Ukulele, but then stoped because of stupid ignorant wanna-b musicians.
A real musician would have respect for anyone that loves music, just like them, even if they didn't particulary like the person's choice of instrument.
Music is music, no matter what style, no matter what instrument.
If you quit, then those ignorant jerks win.
I agree with Fred, you should play twice as hard, and show those idiots that the Ukulele deserves respect too.
And, I don't let anyone but my wife touch my Ukuleles, so if someone asks to see your Ukulele, just say no.

Don't let ignorance win.

Aloha
Acabooe:cool:

it hurts me to see that someone is turning away from their music. it pisses me off when its because someone puts them down because of the music they play. but i will be the first to say that i am guilty of both. so i know the pain of feeling like im not worthy. and i know the sorrow of realizing that i caused that same pain on someone else.

your music is YOUR music. no matter what anyone says, or how they make you feel, the only thing that can get you through it... is YOUR music. please trust me on this.

I think you should listen to everyone's advice. Don't let something like that stop you dude. The best thing I did when I was in my slump was to take everyone's advice and just keep truckin. You can't reproduce the feeling of those strings on your fingers with anything else. I'm a guitarist and an ukulele player, and I have respect for both instruments. The people who don't are just plain ignorant. As Jake always said, "Peace, love, and ukulele"

dont give up on the ukulele. its not limited to what it can and cannot play. the guitar does not completly blow away the uke on any contest. it is compatible with any type of music. and most importantly, even if you think you arent the best singer, who cares? sing from your heart. love your instrument, dont break that bond.

Why dont you do yourself a favor a listen to what YOU told us.

if someone who isn't skilled try's to play and is doing something that is damaging it let them know what there doing wrong

and ignore anyone who disrespects you or your ukulele.

keep playing, call your friends who lost respect for you up and jam.

What??

They snicker out of ignorance. Simply hand them the uke and say "play it....lets see how "easy" it is."

If they happen to be really good, then they most likely appreciate the instrument for how cool it is and are not the ones that talk trash...

Jake is becoming very famous for a reason... Most people "get it" when they see what he can do and what the uke is capable of.

I feel that we are at the beginning of change. The uke is making a strong come back and it is just a matter of time before we don't have to educate people anymore about how great this instrument is.

Be patient and continue what you love. True friends support, not hate..

Plus....did you learn the uke just to IMPRESS your friends? I doubt it. It makes you feel great to play it and that is ALL that matters.

Last edited:
Dude, the uke comes from a different part of your heart. I play both the guitar and uke. However, the uke is the only instrument I know that breaks things down to the simpliest form. Four strings that radiates warmest and love no matter what you play on it. Those guys just don't get that, therefore, they don't "get it". Dude drop the zero friends and hang out with people who'll encourge your playing...unlock the uke brother!....e-lo.....

ahh dustin, don't quit buddy.

Honestly, I get clowned on for a lot of the things I do, but I continue to do it because I enjoy it.

Never let reputation put you down, play to your soul's content and if other people want to bash you bro, just laugh it off. I love playing the ukulele, and a lot of people think I'm weird for it and what I say is

"I don't really mind that it's weird, honestly I love it."

Do what you love, not what people want you to love.

Good luck dustin, stay head strong.

Your friends are probably just in a phase. It will pass.

If you wanna jam you should try to hook it up with other local uke players.

I'm up for it.

Any other Oahu-ans down?

Last edited:
Top Bottom