PDA

View Full Version : How to you keep your music?

chillywilly
09-21-2014, 09:55 AM
i have sheet music that i have printed out in 3 different binders. How do you keep your music? Ipod, tablets, computer? in a binder?

Inksplosive AL
09-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Ive been noodling about a year with the ukulele and I'm just at a point I can play Mr Sandman roughly from memory after a week or so of practice. So I'm hardly a musician but I'm trying.

I have over the last year collected files in a folder called "ukulele" on one of my hard drives. I have a shortcut right on my desktop with a nice sunset folder icon that takes me there. I tried putting them on my iPod touch like my motorcycle manuals but find I don't really like it.

The songs I work on as well as uncle rods boot camp well those I printed out copies to look at while playing. I find I do better learning something from paper than a screen as far as music is concerned. When I want to dedicate time to learning something from this collection I just send a PDF to my iPod and print it out at my shop. My stack of printed music is either sitting on my desk here or in various pockets of different ukulele cases.

I have a collection of videos as well but I didn't tell you that.

~peace~

Rllink
09-21-2014, 10:25 AM
My wife gave me thirty of those three ring plastic sleeves that you can put in a binder. I have the music that I've printed off in those, but instead of having them in a binder, I have a key ring through the top holes. I have them placed in there so that if a song is more than one page, I can lay it out open with both pages facing up. Most of my songs are just one pagers though. I like that because it is light, and I can roll it up and put it in my ukulele case with everything else. When she gave them to me there were thirty of them. They are full, and if something goes in, something comes out. I don't need to get more. A lot of my music comes out of my Daily Ukulele books. The ones that I really like to play, I print off on my wife's printer and put them in the sleeves. I like to go out to the park or out to the lake to play, and trying to haul a bunch of books out there doesn't work well. I also have a lot of stuff on my computer, but I don't like to carry it around everywhere I go either.

Down Up Dick
09-21-2014, 10:52 AM
I have pages and pages and books and books for various brass instruments, flutes, Celtic Music, harmonica & blues books, piano books, fife & whistle books, recorder books and much, much more. Oh yeah, I have lots of Ukulele music too. It's all in 3 ring binders or books filed with the binders in book cases in our bedroom (permissive wife) and in my music room. We're gonna hafta move soon. Our whole upstairs is full of hobby stuff. It sure does accumulate! And we moved here to kinda downsize. :old:

Staredge
09-21-2014, 10:58 AM

I have one for my guitar music........one for uke stuff......one for my Coursera music classes. Couple of others that I float stuff to when needed (sheets for gigs, etc).

ukemunga
09-21-2014, 11:08 AM
If you're an iPad owner, the app Onsong, is great. It does many things and it will connect to the Chordie.com database to pull songs into your library. Transposing is as simple as moving an onscreen slider with your finger.

pritch
09-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks for that ukemunga, I'll check the app out.

Not having much music as yet, I keep the sheets in plastic sleeves in a binder. If the binder gets full I'll buy another since they were gratifyingly inexpensive.

itsme
09-21-2014, 12:52 PM
I use two-pocket folders in different colors. That way I can easily sort and move things around as I please. There's low g, new stuff, favorites, Irish/Celtic, classical... even a red one for Christmas stuff.

Then I have a couple of folding knitting baskets similar to this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-VINTAGE-WOOD-FOLDING-CLOTH-SEWING-KNITTING-CROCHET-BASKET-2-POCKET-/400775147580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d500f703c) next to my chair and music stand that serve as vertical filing cabinets for my folders and books so they are handy when I'm practicing. The rails on top are good for sitting folders and books on when I've got more out than fits on my music stand.

For all the handouts I've gotten at uke meets, there's a 3-ring binder where everything's alphabetical.

kypfer
09-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Here's another vote for the good old-fashioned ring binder. I've several, variously optimistically labelled "Mandolin" "Ukelele" "Banjo" etc. which is OK for the instrument-specific tabs I've printed out like Aaron Keim's clawhammer tabs or Jamie Holding's "lute music for ukelele" tabs, but mostly it's just generic "dots on lines" conventional music that gets played both on strings and woodwind. They're (mostly) indexed, so I can usually find a tune I want, provided I can remember the name of the tune, but some of the Welsh or Gaelic-titled tunes can take a few minutes to find :mad:

I also have several shelf-feet of old-fashioned music books ... oh so cheap on your friendly on-line auction site, seems almost sacrilegious not to buy them :)

I did try the PDF on a Tablet solution ... it works in theory, but I get paranoid about the machine getting knocked off the music stand :confused:

CanuckUkeMaui
09-21-2014, 01:13 PM
If you're an iPad owner, the app Onsong, is great. It does many things and it will connect to the Chordie.com database to pull songs into your library. Transposing is as simple as moving an onscreen slider with your finger.

Yes, Onsong app on an Ipad is great --- all my songs on screen that scroll to the speed I want and also can play audio at that speed....and more ....
Terry

chillywilly
09-21-2014, 01:21 PM
The Onsong sounds good. Anything similar for a kindle fire?

kwall
09-21-2014, 02:00 PM
i write out notes on my cell phone cause thats always with me.

ukemunga
09-21-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm sure there are many Android apps but I'm a Mac, iPad, iPhone guy. Google is our friend. :) But firsthand knowledge is best.

DaveY
09-21-2014, 02:13 PM

I use Mobile Sheets (Android app) on a Nook HD (the larger format size). I also have several binders, and some unbound sheets, in several rooms in the house. Hence, the Mobile Sheets / Nook approach.

DownUpDave
09-21-2014, 02:21 PM
I tend to use the good old 3 ring binder most of the time. I have an android tablet and I look up songs to play and if I like them they get printed off and stuck in the binder.

kissing
09-21-2014, 02:38 PM
All i need are chords and lyrics, so Internet/Google are my storage :D

(Normally always play uke in front of computer)

sam13
09-21-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm sure there are many Android apps but I'm a Mac, iPad, iPhone guy. Google is our friend. :) But firsthand knowledge is best.

Very cool. Does this have a vast selection of songs? I do jazz and am looking for lead sheets or fake books with Uke chart chords. Yup. Just being efficient so I can focus on playing. Thanks.

Down Up Dick
09-21-2014, 02:49 PM
kissing, lots of songs give one chords and lyrics. So where do you get the melody (tune)? :old:

bunnyf
09-21-2014, 04:32 PM
I use onsong which I understand has plans to be available for android but others have said that songbook for androids is similar. I used to do the three ring binder thing, but it became too cumbersome as my music library grew. I have a case for my iPad which will support it for when I'm really traveling light but generally, I bring my inexpensive (I think onstage folding mic stand. I unscrew the top and the threads fit the talents iClaw (also inexpensive) and my iPad is held very securely. If you are dragging along books, you would probably be carting a music stand around anyway.

Ukulele Eddie
09-21-2014, 04:36 PM
I'm using a three ring binder with sheets in plastic sleeves. This allows me to pull them out, make notes, etc. I love the idea of OnSong but many of my songs are multi page and I found the scrolling a bit of a hassle, especially when learning a song. Eventually I'm sure I'll get there, but for now it's old tech.

Icelander53
09-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Binder, I'm old school.

itsme
09-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Those of you using plastic sheet protectors/sleeves must not have very extensive collections. They add considerable bulk/weight to a binder, and to your base cost of just paper and ink to print things out.

I have a really cool binder with a built-in easel stand. You pull a metal frame piece out from the bottom of the spine, bend it backwards, and it works as a tabletop stand.

Would love to recommend it and give you an amazon link or such, but apparently they are no longer made (mine's probably ~20 years old). I searched high and low and could not find anything like it. :(

RAB11
09-21-2014, 09:25 PM
I mainly learn a song through the Ultimate Guitar app on my tablet, it has an autoscroll feature so I can play along without having to worry about turning pages or whatever. Only issue is I rely on chord sheets as there are very few uke tabs on there. So then if the song I want to play has a melody part I definitely want to incorporate, I sort of adapt it from the guitar tabs I find, chuck in a bit of improvisation, and then play it to death for a day or two. At that point it's in my memory, although the new stuff is starting to push the older stuff out thanks to doing two or three new songs a week for the seasons.

Could do with a folder so I can play older songs on the fly if I wanted, but I normally only need that for open mic and I tend to plan my sets in advance for that.

kohanmike
09-21-2014, 09:57 PM

I use Mobile Sheets (Android app) on a Nook HD (the larger format size). I also have several binders, and some unbound sheets, in several rooms in the house. Hence, the Mobile Sheets / Nook approach.

I gave up paper long ago, and now that includes music. I use to use OnSong on my iPad, but the 9.7" screen is too small for me. The rumor is that Apple will be releasing a 12.9" iPad "Pro" sooner or later, but while I was cruising the internet, I ran across a sale at Amazon for a Chinese made Hannspree 13.3" 1280x800 tablet with Android for $199. I then looked up music apps for Android and found MobileSheets.

I'm a graphic designer and scan all my music, then convert or remake it to fit the 1280x800 screen. I transfer them via Dropbox from my Mac to the tablet. It also has audio playback. As much as I'm an Apple fanboy (since 1986), the Hannspree with MobileSheets has been an ideal solution for me, no more binders and piles of paper.

Manalishi
09-21-2014, 10:47 PM
I have the bulk of my sheets printed out on paper,from
the 'days before'...but now all my sheets go straight
onto my seven inch android tablet.I can update and
shift them around very easily,and it stands on a table
at our group meetings,about eighteen inches from my
eyes,so simple as can be!
I still keep all my sheets as PDF files and Jpgs on my
desktop computer too,which is frequently backed up
to storage disc and memory sticks!

VegasGeorge
09-22-2014, 02:00 AM
I traditionally used the three ring binder. I have several, roughly organized either by instrument or by genera. But more recently I've been playing music off my iPad or computer, not stored stuff, but online stuff. When I come across a tune I want to add to my "permanent" collection, I print it off and into a binder it goes.

Daktari
09-22-2014, 02:12 AM
Another here going the analogue route. I use a couple of folders similar to ring binders.
The odd tune I have in Dropbox for quick reference. Somehow I learn the songs more effectively from printed out sheets.

Jon Moody
09-22-2014, 03:55 AM
I have a file cabinet full of old sheet music, divided into string bass and electric bass repertoire that has been published, as well as the countless amount of sheet music that I've hand written myself. I also have about a dozen Real Books (the illegal ones and the legit ones) hanging out on a shelf.

Currently, I have PDF versions of the fake books on my iPad, as well as most of the sheet music I use, in the ForScore app. I also keep a ton of songs that are just chord charts in the SongBook ChordPro app, which I like because it shows various fingerings for chords on the uke (and allows you to add chords as well.

actadh
09-22-2014, 03:59 AM
1. Binders with sleeves. These are for individually collected songs and worksheets such as Uncle Rod's, Dr. Uke, and Scorpexuke etc. One binder for strummed songs, and one for finger picking songs.

2. Accordion folders. One for all the books - Lute to Uke, Fretboard Roadmap etc. I have accumulated. Others for stapled printed collections such as holiday songs, nursery rhymes, and ukulele club archives.

3. Except for the book purchases, many are also saved on my laptop in a folder and on my Android phone in My Drive.

gnordenstam
09-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Yes, Onsong app on an Ipad is great --- all my songs on screen that scroll to the speed I want and also can play audio at that speed....and more ....
Terry

I also use OnSong on my iPad and iPhone.
--G

ricdoug
09-22-2014, 06:50 AM
I have a 5 foot stack of 3" binders full of songbooks, in addition to PDF's on my phone and Android Tablets. No software is needed for Android. The standard PDF and JPG readers that come with Android are all you need. Ric

chillywilly
09-22-2014, 07:04 AM
i like the idea of the fairly inexpensive 13" tablet....that is cheaper than binders, sleeves, paper, ink...and then loosing the pages you take out to work on a song. i may be asking some of you for assistance if you don't mind on how to load the music on my computer (i guess scan) putting them on a back up, then adding to my tablet. i have binders all over the house, and pages i have taken out...

Ukejenny
09-22-2014, 09:49 AM
My songs are printed out and in page protectors, in 3 ring binders. If I could find a tablet that would show like a 8 1/2 by 11 page I would invest and download all the sheets on there. A smaller size does not work for me. The print is too small.

strumsilly
09-22-2014, 10:11 AM
they are in my head. I just can't always find them. I also have a bunch of binders around that need some serious organizing. Most of the time it's easier to google the song .

acmespaceship
09-22-2014, 10:28 AM
I have mostly replaced the 3-ring binders with a Kindle Fire HD 8.9. It has a big-enough screen and a cheap-enough price (for me anyway). Scanning the old paper into PDF files was not as painful as I expected. Set up the scanner in front of the TV and remember it doesn't all have to get done at once.

I use MobileSheets for PDF files. Best 9 bucks I ever spent. You can search music by composer, artist, album, songbook, genre... plus any tags you want to add. The set list feature alone makes it worth installing.

I use GuitarTapp Pro to download tab from the internet. It transposes automatically and it can save files locally for use without a wi-fi connection.

When the uke club plays gigs, particularly outdoors, I still prefer to use paper. Better visibility and one less thing to worry about forgetting or dropping on the ground. I use plastic sleeves and black binders. After the gig, the gigbook gets tossed onto a pile of random uke music. I'll re-use the sleeves and binders, and maybe some of the printouts. Thus the Kindle has not entirely eliminated disorganized piles of dead trees from my house, but it's getting better.

UncleMoon
09-22-2014, 12:23 PM
i have sheet music that i have printed out in 3 different binders. How do you keep your music? Ipod, tablets, computer? in a binder?

On my laptop as word documents, pdf's, html pages, text files, on song sheets in the dining room, office, music stand... binders, paperclips, staples, clippy things... I mostly have it everywhere I turn, just in case I need to break out in song.

librainian
09-22-2014, 01:24 PM
I've got a mishmashed mess of stuff in different places. I've got tons of downloaded sheet music in PDF and TEF formats in dropbox, which is accessible on all my devices. This comes in handy sometimes.

I've got plenty of printed copies in binders too although these are being replaced just as soon as I can manage it. I started working out my own tabs and songs in Google Drive a couple years ago. I'm surprised no one else has even mentioned Drive as an option. I think it's great for creating my own arrangements because you get version control and instant search capabilities as well as instant search replace functions to quickly update chords in tabs.

Google Drive used to work great on my iPad but the recent switch to separate apps for preview and edit has made this unworkable. So now I am leaning toward creating my own song sheets in Drive and keeping those as my archive, then exporting all that content to PDF's and storing them in Dropbox for access in whatever reader suits at the time. Right now I am experimenting with unrealBook for iPad.

actadh
09-22-2014, 02:10 PM
. I'm surprised no one else has even mentioned Drive as an option. I think it's great for creating my own arrangements because you get version control and instant search capabilities as well as instant search replace functions to quickly update chords in tabs.

Google Drive used to work great on my iPad but the recent switch to separate apps for preview and edit has made this unworkable. So now I am leaning toward creating my own song sheets in Drive and keeping those as my archive, then exporting all that content to PDF's and storing them in Dropbox for access in whatever reader suits at the time. Right now I am experimenting with unrealBook for iPad.
I did, but I called it My Drive as that is how the app appears on my phone.

kohanmike
09-22-2014, 03:58 PM
I like the idea of the fairly inexpensive 13" tablet....that is cheaper than binders, sleeves, paper, ink...and then loosing the pages you take out to work on a song. I may be asking some of you for assistance if you don't mind on how to load the music on my computer (I guess scan) putting them on a back up, then adding to my tablet. I have binders all over the house, and pages I have taken out...

Sure, I have it down pretty well.

My songs are printed out and in page protectors, in 3 ring binders. If I could find a tablet that would show like a 8 1/2 by 11 page I would invest and download all the sheets on there. A smaller size does not work for me. The print is too small.

My Hanspree 13.3 is so close to full size, I don't think about it anymore. I make my PDFs right to the edges of the screen, and when I hold a page of paper next to it, they are really close to the same working space.

itsme
09-22-2014, 04:27 PM
When the uke club plays gigs, particularly outdoors, I still prefer to use paper. Better visibility and one less thing to worry about forgetting or dropping on the ground.
We had a meetup at a park last weekend and it was really hard to even read a clip-on tuner in the shade.

Anything smaller than 8.5x11" would be too hard for these old eyes to deal with. :o

Colonel Uke
09-23-2014, 03:39 AM
When my 3 ring binder of paper music got too full, I got a cheap 7" Nexus 7 Android tablet to view sheet music as PDF's. It's OK for practices, but for me it's too small to perform with. For performances, I still print off paper copies of the set list and put in a small binder. If I had a larger tablet like a 10" or bigger, I would probably perform with that.

Ukejenny
09-23-2014, 03:47 AM
Those of you using plastic sheet protectors/sleeves must not have very extensive collections. They add considerable bulk/weight to a binder, and to your base cost of just paper and ink to print things out.

I have a really cool binder with a built-in easel stand. You pull a metal frame piece out from the bottom of the spine, bend it backwards, and it works as a tabletop stand.

Would love to recommend it and give you an amazon link or such, but apparently they are no longer made (mine's probably ~20 years old). I searched high and low and could not find anything like it. :(

The sheet protectors definitely add the the bulk, but it helps with songs that I have several versions of - I put it all in one sheet protector, and also songs I've written with all kinds of sheets and scribbles on multiple pages. It costs more and you end up with more notebooks, but it is worth it to me.

I would also love to have a stand/notebook like that. The closest thing I've found is a hand bell notebook, where the bottom portion of the notebook cover kicks back to make a stand. It works well as long as you don't have too much weight in the notebook. I have one as a performance notebook, just to hold what I'm playing for X event. But, I usually just use a table top stand and one of my binders.

Ukejenny
09-23-2014, 03:49 AM
On my laptop as word documents, pdf's, html pages, text files, on song sheets in the dining room, office, music stand... binders, paperclips, staples, clippy things... I mostly have it everywhere I turn, just in case I need to break out in song.

We may have similar organizational skills.... :rolleyes:

Ukejenny
09-23-2014, 03:52 AM
My Hanspree 13.3 is so close to full size, I don't think about it anymore. I make my PDFs right to the edges of the screen, and when I hold a page of paper next to it, they are really close to the same working space.

Ahhhh, definitely something for me to look into. It would be so much better than carrying a bag of heavy notebooks around. Though, I'd probably still want pages for performances. Thank you so much for sharing this information.

All my songs, or at least the ones we use for UBA, are in PDFs on our website. So, it should be easy to pull them onto a tablet like the Hanspree. Mahalo! :shaka:

BlueLatitude
09-23-2014, 05:27 AM
For those of you who have tablets --- or don't have tablets because of the page flipping issue, have you seen these?

http://www.pageflip.com/

They sound like just the thing! (Not involved with this product in any way, in fact I don't even HAVE a tablet.)

Rllink
09-23-2014, 08:35 AM
The sheet protectors definitely add the the bulk, but it helps with songs that I have several versions of - I put it all in one sheet protector, and also songs I've written with all kinds of sheets and scribbles on multiple pages. It costs more and you end up with more notebooks, but it is worth it to me.

I would also love to have a stand/notebook like that. The closest thing I've found is a hand bell notebook, where the bottom portion of the notebook cover kicks back to make a stand. It works well as long as you don't have too much weight in the notebook. I have one as a performance notebook, just to hold what I'm playing for X event. But, I usually just use a table top stand and one of my binders.

71135I think the bulk comes from the binders, not the sheet protectors. You can put a bunch of those sheet protectors together with a single ring through the top hole, and it works fine. For me anyway. Some people maybe not so much. I can really see the benefits of stands and such, but I have to travel light, and often times I have to give up convenience for light and portable, even at home. I do the best I can, but I've played plenty of times with my music spread out on my knees, or propped up on a chair. I'm actually thinking that a tablet might work well for me, but I don't want to haul around another piece of equipment to turn the pages, or scroll, so I'm trying to figure out how to make that work.

mikelz777
09-23-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm a 3-ring binder with page protectors guy. Each page protector holds 2, 1-page songs or a 1-page song plus the 1st or 2nd page of a 2-page song. In my case, a song is the lyrics with bracketed chord names ([C], [G], etc.) inserted where the chord changes occur. It works very well because it lays flat and stays open when propped up. There is no issue with the bulk of the page protectors so far because I'm pretty selective with what I print out and put in the book, I won't put just any old song in there. It's got to be stuff I enjoy playing and playing repeatedly.

I use the smaller binders with a 1-1/2" spine. My first binder is not even full yet but it's to the point where I don't play long enough to play every song in the book even when I sing them back to back. (1-1/2 hours+)

bnolsen
09-23-2014, 10:47 AM
For those of you who have tablets --- or don't have tablets because of the page flipping issue, have you seen these?

http://www.pageflip.com/

They sound like just the thing! (Not involved with this product in any way, in fact I don't even HAVE a tablet.)

Holy smokes. You can get a straight usb pedal from amazon for under 10usd. Just need a real tablet that has real usb!
Maybe another solution would be to install a "STOMP" application on your phone and use that in bluetooth slave mode for page turning :drool:

graybones
09-23-2014, 11:36 AM
I have this big 3-ring beast with all my ukulele books and sheet music in it, something like 150-200 pages. The mini-ukulele is a USB drive I got at a Jake Shimabukuro that contains my digital sheet music and various ukulele music.

Ukejenny
09-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Isn't there some kind of scrolling app out there? I think I overheard some folks talking about that during our Alabama Uke Fest. They were saying if it scrolls too fast, you just add "extra lines" whatever that means. I think they were talking about lyrics with chord names above only. No actual tab.

I have way too many page protectors in each binder. Also, I have several pages in some of those protectors. I really need to add another huge three-ring binder but dread it.

SailQwest
09-23-2014, 12:17 PM
I keep my music mostly in my head. :D
I've managed to memorize an average of about a song a month since taking up the ukulele.

I have a binder for songs I'm in the process of learning, but most of my playing is off book. Heck, most of my playing is done with my eyes closed.

acmespaceship
09-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Isn't there some kind of scrolling app out there?

Most of the apps designed for musicians support auto scrolling. Check the feature list. With GuitarTapp I can open a song, tell it the song takes 2:45 minutes to play, tap the screen to tell the app when I'm ready to start, and we're off. I can't say it works perfectly, but usually it's close enough. If necessary a quick swipe gets things back in the right place.

Are you dealing mostly with tab, or with chord/lyrics sheets, or standard music notation?

You can see how it works for chord/lyrics here: http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.lindesign.se/uwp/guitar/b/byrds/mr_tambourine_man.crd#
On the right in the blue box under "Cool Service" (and above the rating stars) you can click on the little auto-scroll icon and then click a number to speed it up or slow it down.

ETA: UU shortened the URL in a most unfortunate way. That's Mr. Tambourine Man, not Urine Man! :rofl:

kohanmike
09-23-2014, 03:18 PM

Everyone I know who uses a tablet for music has a foot pedal, the most popular seems to be the AirTurn. It's a great accessory for playing music.

chillywilly
09-23-2014, 04:52 PM
wow!!! thanks for all of the replies. i am going to try and see if i am able to add some music to my kindle hdx...i like the foot pedal idea also...i may be pm'ing some of you for assistance...i am not a computer guru...i just know i need to do better than all this sheet music laying around, and sometimes more than one copy.

actadh
09-25-2014, 03:51 PM
I just did an impulse buy of the Woot deal of the day. 14" HP Chromebook with lifetime 200mb each month through T-Mobile. Between a memory stick and Google Drive, I will have plenty to play.

Peterjens
09-25-2014, 04:17 PM
I just did an impulse buy of the Woot deal of the day. 14" HP Chromebook with lifetime 200mb each month through T-Mobile. Between a memory stick and Google Drive, I will have plenty to play.
Drats! Sold Out.

VegasGeorge
09-25-2014, 04:50 PM
I finally broke down and drafted an alphabetized list of the tunes in my binder. There are so many I'm going to get a set of a to z dividers for it. I'm spending too much time rifling through it trying to find stuff.

chillywilly
09-25-2014, 05:06 PM
i was out looking at larger size tablets. Samsung has a 12.2 incher. Next closest is the 10.5. Dang....looks like i am dipping into the ukulele $ fund....

twentytabby
09-25-2014, 05:17 PM
I have over 30 years of music, much of it in three ring binders. I finally broke down and got a file cabinet for storing much of it and I'm so happy I did that. Some of the music binders live permanently in bags I take to jams or gigs.

I also have a lot of music on the computer in jpg, pdf, or ABC format. The ABC format is useful for me when I want to either write up new music or modify existing music. I know it's old school, but I've been doing it since there were 300 baud modems. I then use web based software for printing pdfs from the ABC files.

I've seen some nice software for the iPad for cataloging and displaying music that is nicer than any I've seen for my Android tablet. It's nice enough that I may pick up a used/reconditioned iPad to use at jams. The bags of music binders are getting heavy to haul around.

actadh
09-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Drats! Sold Out.

In the comments section it mentioned that Woot often runs the Chromebook promo. Others mentioned checking at Groupon. And I am sure box stores will have some Black Friday deals.

I have a perfectly good 17" laptop and a Droid Maxx - both great options for web based applications. But for reading pdf's of music in a portable mode, one is too big, and one is too small. I am hoping for a Goldilocks effect. I was going to get a tablet. For the same price I got a lot more that is useful to me.

itsme
09-25-2014, 05:26 PM
I finally broke down and drafted an alphabetized list of the tunes in my binder. There are so many I'm going to get a set of a to z dividers for it. I'm spending too much time rifling through it trying to find stuff.
I have a-z dividers for mine and they're really useful. :)

Thing is, at a lot of meetups they pass out stapled packets of double-sided sheets, so you can't really file them alphabetically.

I did start a list as a text file for all of these handouts, just put a # on each and a reference for the individual songs so I can find things.

VegasGeorge
09-26-2014, 03:15 AM
It's funny how our minds work, and how different they can be. For several years I've played Trumpet/Cornet, Tenor Horn duets with a friend. We write our own arrangements. I have all that stuff piled up in alphabetic order by title. He comes with several folders in which his music is kept by genre. I've never understood how he knows whether a tune like "Old Rocking Chair" would be in the Blues or Standard folder. But I've never seen him look in the wrong one!

vanflynn
09-26-2014, 03:27 AM
I'm suprised at the lack of love for the SongBook ChordPro app. I have that and OnSong and prefer SongBook.

Anyone else use it?

(BTW I have a big ass binder as well)

Gary Gill
10-18-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm suprised at the lack of love for the SongBook ChordPro app. I have that and OnSong and prefer SongBook.

Anyone else use it?

(BTW I have a big ass binder as well)

I just downloaded Songbook today. So far so good.

IamNoMan
10-18-2014, 01:07 PM
I guess I'm old fashioned. As much as anything I keep tunes and songs in my head. I play out as much as possible. Binders, song sheets and ipads all end up in the mud as often as not. When I set down at home to learn a new song I use my computer to facilitate the process. All my bookmarks, PDFs, vids are organized about three times a year. I also have about 6 board feet of book shelves within easy reach of my work station. These get organized once a year.

I would rather carry instruments around than all the memory aid paraphernalia. This allows me the freedom to play/practice and noodle almost anywhere.

I do have one secret weapon. I like chocolate. A 3.5 oz Lindt Chocolate bar has 32 healthy servings. Rather then litter the empty cardboard goes in the instrument case. It holds one or two songs. Mix pleasure with pleasure I say.

VegasGeorge
10-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Mix pleasure with pleasure I say.

Now there's some advice I can follow!

itsme
10-18-2014, 02:40 PM
A 3.5 oz Lindt Chocolate bar has 32 healthy servings.
That's a crock of malarky and you know it. A regular Hershey bar is like 1.5 oz, so at best your Lindt is 2-1/2 servings. :p

Phluffy the Destroyer
10-18-2014, 06:23 PM
When I first started playing, I printed out every free ukulele songbook I could find online. Now I restrict myself to only printing out chord sheets for songs I want to learn, but the end result is that I have piles and piles of chord sheets cluttering up my apartment. That's sort of okay I suppose, since I live alone, but it's really not a very efficient way to keep music. I also have an app called Song Chord Finder on both my tablet and my phone that I can save songs on. That program has a scroll feature and can transpose music, but the song finding part of it just seems to be a free version of the Ultimate Guitar app.

A few months back I became rather fascinated with grilles, which are a sort of shorthand music notation that was used a lot in jazz for playing rhythm and chord melody. Grilles don't come with words and only have minimal instructions/notations though. They're basically designed so a touring band can hire local talent to play all the background bits. The beauty of grilles is that they don't take up much space so there are well over 1500 songs there. I have a .pdf on my tablet with around 480 pages of grilles.

Earlier this month I played at the Ukulele Slam here in KC with the club I'm in. About 10 minutes before one of the other local clubs did their set someone asked me to play along with them. I didn't know the songs they were playing though, so he gave me a quick rundown of the chords and I just wrote out grilles for them. Then I taped the grilles to the top side of my ukulele, and played rhythm for the set.

Phluffy the Destroyer
10-18-2014, 06:43 PM
That's a crock of malarky and you know it. A regular Hershey bar is like 1.5 oz, so at best your Lindt is 2-1/2 servings. :p

:biglaugh: I think the key word was "healthy". I'll sit down and eat a pound of M&Ms watching a movie, but that wouldn't qualify as "healthy", lol.

DownUpDave
10-19-2014, 01:32 AM
:biglaugh: I think the key word was "healthy". I'll sit down and eat a pound of M&Ms watching a movie, but that wouldn't qualify as "healthy", lol.

I think the intention of "healthy" meant eating just one of those 32 squares. The chance of me sitting down with a chocolate bar and eating just ONE square is about the same odds as me winning the lottery. Slim to none and slim just left the building.

IamNoMan
10-19-2014, 02:13 AM
Healthy chocolate, yes that is correct.

I am diabetic. Non-fiber carbohydrates are a problem. for diabetics. Sugars and Starches aren't metabolized properly in a diabetic. Abstention from sugars and starches is bad too. They are too good a food source, (distilled spirits are a form of carb that Diabetics can handle, but they are metabolized differently and have zilch food value. That is to say whiskey is safe for a diabetic but shouldn't be considered healthy).

Regulating the number of carbs one consumes is more important than counting calories. My goal is <200 grams/day of carbs. I weigh ~ 200 #. Some examples: a slice of bread or a light beer is 26 g of carb. A bagel or a 6" sub roll is 60 g. A small portion of of rice or pasta, or a nice microbrewed ale is 80 g of carbs. 1/8 of a Lindt chocolate bar, (1 1/2"x1 1/2" square) is 3 grams of sugar carb. I consider a quarter square a portion. 3/8 g of carb. 7.5 calories!

Sorry to hijack the thread here, but it could be important. Now what kind of healthty food can I eat that will improve my memory enough so I'am not buried in all these pesky song sheets?

KaraUkey
10-19-2014, 02:24 AM
Over the last forty years I've collected boxes and boxes of sheet music and song books. Since I started writing KaraUkey with scrolling lyrics and chords I only ever refer to them in order to create more KaraUkey. This provides me with simple Playlists sorted into different genres and artists so I can find the song I want in a few seconds, press play and I'm off. The playlist can be customised in terms of tempo and instruments included from nothing, to just percussion or bass, or both, to full backing tracks, so it's exactly the way I want it, with scrolling chords and lyrics. My "ready to sing or play" repertoire has now expanded to the biggest it has ever been. I've finally abandoned my notion of creating one big index for all of the sheet music I have. It would have been an incredibly laborious task anyway and this modern solution works much better for me.

Down Up Dick
10-19-2014, 04:51 AM
I guess I'm old fashioned. As much as anything I keep tunes and songs in my head. I play out as much as possible. Binders, song sheets and ipads all end up in the mud as often as not. When I set down at home to learn a new song I use my computer to facilitate the process. All my bookmarks, PDFs, vids are organized about three times a year. I also have about 6 board feet of book shelves within easy reach of my work station. These get organized once a year.

I would rather carry instruments around than all the memory aid paraphernalia. This allows me the freedom to play/practice and noodle almost anywhere.

I do have one secret weapon. I like chocolate. A 3.5 oz Lindt Chocolate bar has 32 healthy servings. Rather then litter the empty cardboard goes in the instrument case. It holds one or two songs. Mix pleasure with pleasure I say.

It must really be nice to have a memory. I had one once, but I seem to have lost it. Ahhh . . . :old:

bonesigh
10-19-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm embarrassed to say it's absolutely EVERYWHERE! It would take me weeks to get it in order! Then when would actually be able to play if I took the time to organize it?:o:deadhorse:"this is me wishing I could kick my own a**!".

Garydavkra
10-20-2014, 08:38 AM
I keep my music in a three ring binder with protective sleeves. I also have tons of fake books and other music books. I do have some on my computer but, I'd rather print it because, I don't have to plug it in or worry about the battery. It's easier to carry, fits real nice on the music stand and there is just something about music on paper especially when I write my own.:D