How to you keep your music?

chillywilly

Reaction score
i have sheet music that i have printed out in 3 different binders. How do you keep your music? Ipod, tablets, computer? in a binder?

Ive been noodling about a year with the ukulele and I'm just at a point I can play Mr Sandman roughly from memory after a week or so of practice. So I'm hardly a musician but I'm trying.

I have over the last year collected files in a folder called "ukulele" on one of my hard drives. I have a shortcut right on my desktop with a nice sunset folder icon that takes me there. I tried putting them on my iPod touch like my motorcycle manuals but find I don't really like it.

The songs I work on as well as uncle rods boot camp well those I printed out copies to look at while playing. I find I do better learning something from paper than a screen as far as music is concerned. When I want to dedicate time to learning something from this collection I just send a PDF to my iPod and print it out at my shop. My stack of printed music is either sitting on my desk here or in various pockets of different ukulele cases.

I have a collection of videos as well but I didn't tell you that.

~peace~

Attachments

• ukulele.jpg
    ukulele.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
My wife gave me thirty of those three ring plastic sleeves that you can put in a binder. I have the music that I've printed off in those, but instead of having them in a binder, I have a key ring through the top holes. I have them placed in there so that if a song is more than one page, I can lay it out open with both pages facing up. Most of my songs are just one pagers though. I like that because it is light, and I can roll it up and put it in my ukulele case with everything else. When she gave them to me there were thirty of them. They are full, and if something goes in, something comes out. I don't need to get more. A lot of my music comes out of my Daily Ukulele books. The ones that I really like to play, I print off on my wife's printer and put them in the sleeves. I like to go out to the park or out to the lake to play, and trying to haul a bunch of books out there doesn't work well. I also have a lot of stuff on my computer, but I don't like to carry it around everywhere I go either.

I have pages and pages and books and books for various brass instruments, flutes, Celtic Music, harmonica & blues books, piano books, fife & whistle books, recorder books and much, much more. Oh yeah, I have lots of Ukulele music too. It's all in 3 ring binders or books filed with the binders in book cases in our bedroom (permissive wife) and in my music room. We're gonna hafta move soon. Our whole upstairs is full of hobby stuff. It sure does accumulate! And we moved here to kinda downsize. :eek:ld:

54544859.jpg

I have one for my guitar music........one for uke stuff......one for my Coursera music classes. Couple of others that I float stuff to when needed (sheets for gigs, etc).

Last edited:
If you're an iPad owner, the app Onsong, is great. It does many things and it will connect to the Chordie.com database to pull songs into your library. Transposing is as simple as moving an onscreen slider with your finger.

Thanks for that ukemunga, I'll check the app out.

Not having much music as yet, I keep the sheets in plastic sleeves in a binder. If the binder gets full I'll buy another since they were gratifyingly inexpensive.

I use two-pocket folders in different colors. That way I can easily sort and move things around as I please. There's low g, new stuff, favorites, Irish/Celtic, classical... even a red one for Christmas stuff.

Then I have a couple of folding knitting baskets similar to this next to my chair and music stand that serve as vertical filing cabinets for my folders and books so they are handy when I'm practicing. The rails on top are good for sitting folders and books on when I've got more out than fits on my music stand.

For all the handouts I've gotten at uke meets, there's a 3-ring binder where everything's alphabetical.

Here's another vote for the good old-fashioned ring binder. I've several, variously optimistically labelled "Mandolin" "Ukelele" "Banjo" etc. which is OK for the instrument-specific tabs I've printed out like Aaron Keim's clawhammer tabs or Jamie Holding's "lute music for ukelele" tabs, but mostly it's just generic "dots on lines" conventional music that gets played both on strings and woodwind. They're (mostly) indexed, so I can usually find a tune I want, provided I can remember the name of the tune, but some of the Welsh or Gaelic-titled tunes can take a few minutes to find :mad:

I also have several shelf-feet of old-fashioned music books ... oh so cheap on your friendly on-line auction site, seems almost sacrilegious not to buy them :)

I did try the PDF on a Tablet solution ... it works in theory, but I get paranoid about the machine getting knocked off the music stand :confused:

If you're an iPad owner, the app Onsong, is great. It does many things and it will connect to the Chordie.com database to pull songs into your library. Transposing is as simple as moving an onscreen slider with your finger.

Yes, Onsong app on an Ipad is great --- all my songs on screen that scroll to the speed I want and also can play audio at that speed....and more ....
Terry

i write out notes on my cell phone cause thats always with me.

The Onsong sounds good. Anything similar for a kindle fire?

I use Mobile Sheets (Android app) on a Nook HD (the larger format size). I also have several binders, and some unbound sheets, in several rooms in the house. Hence, the Mobile Sheets / Nook approach.

I tend to use the good old 3 ring binder most of the time. I have an android tablet and I look up songs to play and if I like them they get printed off and stuck in the binder.

I'm sure there are many Android apps but I'm a Mac, iPad, iPhone guy. Google is our friend. :) But firsthand knowledge is best.

Very cool. Does this have a vast selection of songs? I do jazz and am looking for lead sheets or fake books with Uke chart chords. Yup. Just being efficient so I can focus on playing. Thanks.

I use onsong which I understand has plans to be available for android but others have said that songbook for androids is similar. I used to do the three ring binder thing, but it became too cumbersome as my music library grew. I have a case for my iPad which will support it for when I'm really traveling light but generally, I bring my inexpensive (I think onstage folding mic stand. I unscrew the top and the threads fit the talents iClaw (also inexpensive) and my iPad is held very securely. If you are dragging along books, you would probably be carting a music stand around anyway.

I'm using a three ring binder with sheets in plastic sleeves. This allows me to pull them out, make notes, etc. I love the idea of OnSong but many of my songs are multi page and I found the scrolling a bit of a hassle, especially when learning a song. Eventually I'm sure I'll get there, but for now it's old tech.

Top Bottom