DIY quilted ukulele case

sukie

Aloha
UU VIP
Reaction score
Somewhere (prob. here on UU) I ran across directions for making a quilted ukulele case. My young student has a birthday coming up and I made her a case and a bag for her ukulele stuff.. It was a bit challenging, but a lot of fun to make it. So fun I will be making at least 2 more.
image.jpgimage.jpg

That is great. I like it. I'm all about making stuff instead of buying it. You did a good job. I think your student will be thrilled.

That looks fantastic do you have the directions still? cause I would love to quilt my own case

Very nice indeed!

Did you put any structure for support inside or is it more like a gig bag? I wonder how hard it would be to make it more rigid like a hard case....

Did you put any structure for support inside or is it more like a gig bag? I wonder how hard it would be to make it more rigid like a hard case....

The only support is the batting between the layers. For a little Makala Dolphin it's just fine. It's just a gig bag.

You might like this one better, then. I haven't tried it, so I can't say how hard it is or anything.

http://www.instructables.com/id/a-cardboard-ukulele-case/

Edited: the cardboard case looks quite fun. I think I will try one. Looks putzy, though.

Last edited:

Maybe adding a heavyweight sail cloth into the lining might make a more 'hardish" styled case.

Maybe adding a heavyweight sail cloth into the lining might make a more 'hardish" styled case.

I did use a heavy outdoor material for the outside. I also used muslin for a lining for the outer case. And also the is the red interior lining.. I think it would get pretty thick if too much heavy fabric was used.

Very pretty Sukie, you are multitalented!
I tried the custom ukulele gig bag biz....way too labor intensive, couldn't get our time paid back outta them.
I recommend anyone who wants one, just make it yourslef.

Good points about the sail cloth heing too much. I really like the colorful pieces you chose. They are so much better than the dull nylon black gig bags in the shops. I wanted something more colorful and had my cardboard pieces poised and ready until I found your thread here. Your project really inspired me to get sewing! What a lucky student you have ♥

Last edited:
What a marvelous teacher you are and such a beautiful hand crafted gift. My hat is off to you. I am especially happy to see you respected the pattern makers intellectual property rights. Being a Crafter is a hard row to hoe. My wife is a fiber-arts Crafter. That makes me a S.C.U.M. -Spouse of Crafter Union Member.

And thanks to you Doc_J for posting the Ralph Shaw video. I've been wondering how to sheath my Vintage Melody Jr Banjolele.

Those who a concerned with extra stiffness might try using a layer of matte-ing board. Its thin, light weight, stiff, and cheap. Available at Arts/Craft Supply Stores and Framers' Shops.

Bumping this very old thread.

I'm a newbie, and have made lots of bags (Totes, Satchels, Messenger with internal and external pockets) out of canvas, thick cottons, denims etc., and I've even tried my hand at soft toys. Well I was looking through the shed thread and saw the beautiful Ukulele's being made there and wondered what I could do. I did a search and came across this wonderful thread. Thanks for the tutorials. I am definitely going to try my hand at making the covers.

The Ukulele I have did come with a carry bag, but annoyingly it has no pockets for the little things one needs to carry, such as pickers, tuners etc. I am thinking along the line of patchwork quilting, or at least using the wadding to do a thick outer layer, with an outer pocket. Zips can also be a bind to put in, thus I'm thinking press studs or a velcro opening. I could make the handle as long as I wanted, or adjustable length which is relatively easy with all the bits coming from my craft cupboard (easy enough to pick up on Ebay UK). Wish me luck I'll see how it comes up.

PS How I usually make things, is to make a paper mock up with a bit of cellotape, and then use that as a pattern for the fabric using an extra cm or so for a seam allowance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom