A sad, sad day for my Kala

srifenburg

Reaction score
So I've been playing this KA-S/CM for about five weeks and after tuning it the other day, the bridge snapped away from the top wood on an up-strum :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzomv98tfzee0fg/Photo Sep 22, 5 25 33 PM.jpg?dl=0

Unfortunately, the KA-S/CM is a discontinued model so the retailer wasn't able to help with warranty service but after calling Kala and talking to Will in the service department, they are going to replace it with a standard KA-S (cheaper model but heck, at least I'm not out a whole uke!)

Guess in the end it's not too sad, just a bummer that I don't have a uke to play for a week or so.

I'd reglue the bridge if you don't have to send it back.

Hmmm... I would get a bit of filler on the body. Rub off the fragments of wood from the back of the bridge and glue it back down. What have you got to lose? :)

Agreed all around. That's not the cleanest bridge pop I've ever seen, but with a bit of prep and a bit of patience, you could get that close to good as new.

It looks to me like you could glue it and clamp it thought the sound hole pretty easily. I'm with the "glue it and play it" crowd. You could be playing it again in twenty four hours tops.

I wouldnt take any wood off of the bridge and leave it on using it to help reset the old bridge. Maybe try and scrap off some of the old glue on the exposed areas and Titebond that sucker back on with a couple of deep throat C clamps from Harbor Freight. Nothing to loose right.

I wouldnt take any wood off of the bridge and leave it on using it to help reset the old bridge. Maybe try and scrap off some of the old glue on the exposed areas and Titebond that sucker back on with a couple of deep throat C clamps from Harbor Freight. Nothing to loose right.
yep, just scrape off the old glue down to bare wood.

For all of you asking, no, I was told not to worry about sending it back. I didn't really think that much about self repair but from your replies, it doesn't sound too difficult. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

This brings up a question: Are all Ukulele bridges simply glued down to the tops without any pegs or notches to hold them? Or do different makers have more secure ways to attach them?

Sorry about your ukulele breaking, that sucks. Good luck with the repair, post photos if you manage it!

The OP photo hurts to look at! Poor uke! I hope you are able to repair it and if you try it, please take photos during the process. I'd love to see how that turns out. And if it turns out well, you have two nice ukuleles to play.

If you do reglue it make sure it gets exactly back in the same place or the intonation will be off. I'd give it a go ( or find a friend ). What do you have to lose? You may get another playable Uke and you get to learn something about how uke's are built

Keep us posted

shannon..don't scrape or remove any wood from anything. i've got tite bond and clamps. call and i'll look at it. can't imagine that can't be fixed better than new.

shannon..don't scrape or remove any wood from anything. i've got tite bond and clamps. call and i'll look at it. can't imagine that can't be fixed better than new.

Ukulele Emergency! Uke EMt on the way! How cool is that?

Harbor Freight sells cheaper priced deep throat clamps that are perfect for uke bridges. Titebond 2 and make sure there is no finish you are gluing to. You can keep the bridge from creeping by building masking tape up around the area to be glued, some folks put in needles or small brads to do the same.

Sorry to see that your uke failed :(

+1 on doing the repair.

For the first time, I just removed and reseated a baritone bridge on a cheapo Savannah baritone ($52 on ebay) that was lifting from day one, and rather than send it back, I decided to repair it, and use this as a learning experience to build upon for another rather scary project for me.

I have what I consider a family heirloom uke, an old Harmony baritone, given to me by my Grandfather who passed away in 2009, and the bridge on that uke was lifting, which now is currently de-strung and resting in it's case, as per the kind advice from Rick Turner here on the forum.

The apparent success of this project on the Savannah has given me the confidence to consider an attempt of the same kind of repair on the Harmony.

However, it's been only a few days now, so I am still checking it to see that the bridge is holding before I am going to mark this as a win.

Also, I am not a luthier, and used only a stack of books on top of the re-glued bridge (inspired by many uke-building kit instructions), and left it on over night (about 14 hrs), since I have no clamps, nor any budget for new tools right now.

For the Harmony, I may get some clamps, and make some cauls first though.

So, with your Kala, it may be worth the attempt vs. just leaving it with the bridge off, and looking at it all sad and not making music any more.

This brings up a question: Are all Ukulele bridges simply glued down to the tops without any pegs or notches to hold them? Or do different makers have more secure ways to attach them?

They are glued. Some have strings that go through the bridge and top of the guitar with a bead to keep the string. It takes the tension off of the bridge, which is not alot to begin with. And most will probably say that if prepped correctly the bridge should not pop off under normal circumstances.

Awesome! When we get back from vacation, I'll surely take you up on that offer :)

Top Bottom