PDA

View Full Version : Ever Name Your Ukulele?

KaijuEmily
09-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Ive heard of musicians giving names to their instruments before,but what kind of nicknames do you have for your ukes? Im waiting for some life expirience to give me some inspiration.

Peterjens
09-23-2014, 08:29 AM
My Blackbear macadamia/mango 'uke is named Duane after the luthier who built it. The rest are anonymous.

Cornfield
09-23-2014, 08:41 AM
My Scott Wise ukulele's are made of Tasmanian Blackwood
The Baritone is "The Devil"
The Tenor is "The Lil' Devil"

dnewton2
09-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Yeah I have Koaloha, Moore Bettah, Howlett, KPK and Stagg. Ussually with 'The' in front.

Well I guess I didnt really give them names, but they came with them and they seemed to work for me.

graybones
09-23-2014, 12:27 PM
I have a spalted maple Ibanez ukulele (this guy... it's lighter in person) (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_ag_page14.php?year=2014&cat_id=3&series_id=95&data_id=77&color=CL01) that I've taken to calling "Blondie". I call my Makala Dolphin "the beater" and my Pono MCD (http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mcd-mahogany-concert-deluxe.html), I just call "my Pono". Didn't think I'd be the type to name my instruments but they came naturally.

VegasGeorge
09-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Odd. I'm a guy who does name inanimate objects. My car has a name, my scooter has a name. But I never even considered naming my musical instruments. I think it's because when I'm playing them, they seem more like an extension of me than they do like a personality of their own. And besides, I have so many of them that naming them would become rather confusing.

Ukejenny
09-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Nope. Haven't named any of my ukes. My main clarinet has a name. My dad named every car we ever had Betsy, so every car I've ever had has been called Betsy. I do not know why.

DownUpDave
09-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Kinda like a dog with no legs. No sense naming it because it will not come when you call it :confused:

But I have named a few of my ukes anyways, if something right just jumps up and it sticks. I wonder if the others without names feel less loved

RiotNrrd
09-23-2014, 01:35 PM
I have a Makala Dolphin and a Luna Tattoo. A couple of days after buying the Dolphin, I was doing something or other and suddenly had a few moments to spare. So I thought to myself "Guess I'll grab Betsy here and do some strums."

And then I thought to myself "'Betsy?' Where the heck did *that* come from?"

So, I guess my Dolphin's name is Betsy, and although I named it\her, it didn't quite feel that way. I've had pianos, electric organs, guitars, a banjo, an 88 key weighted MIDI keyboard, a harmonica, and a mouth harp, and none of them have ever had names.

The Luna also remains nameless. I simply don't ordinarily name inanimate objects. Betsy may beg to differ, however.

vanflynn
09-23-2014, 02:05 PM
I have referred to my ukes with words that can't be repeated here on the forum but that was more because of my lack of playing ability

PeteyHoudini
09-23-2014, 02:28 PM
I have a Triumph triangular tenor uke and it has three holes and I call it my "Swiss Cheese Uke." Makes me think back to my youth in the 1970s when we called our VW Beetle "Herbie!" hehe

Petey

actadh
09-23-2014, 04:13 PM
I have a Luna concert with inlaid dragonflies made of spalted maple around the sound hole. My husband always calls it my "Skeeter" and now the name has stuck.

LadyCrow
10-23-2014, 11:54 PM
My one and only is a Luna that i call My-Uke. Not very original, but that's what she's called.

ubulele
10-24-2014, 12:20 AM
I named my ukes so I could label the bags and cases. Now I rather like that each of my ukes has a name, though I didn't reach too far for them (no personal relevance) and I haven't named any of my other instruments.

KaraUkey
10-24-2014, 01:22 AM
My cars, my computers and my tablets etc have always had nicknames, even my bycycle. My ukes have always just carried the names of their maker, like Eddy, Kala, etc. I guess if I ever have two ukes from the same maker it might be different, and I'm sure the custom uke I am having built will have a name. I don't know what that will be though until I see it and play it. An experience I am really looking forward to with great anticipation.

I think giving them names is because the particular machines/instruments and I are often "out there" doing stuff together. So whatever I'm using is part of the team and you can't talk to them unless they have a name.

Ooooo maybe I need Uke_Therapy more than I thought. Oh no, did I say that out loud?

Ambient Doughnut
10-24-2014, 01:51 AM
No, absolutely not. Never named a 'thing' no matter how nice a thing it is!

coolkayaker1
10-24-2014, 02:29 AM
I call my Koloa/Silvercreek soprano "the doorstop". Which it is.

Pukulele Pete
10-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Kinda like a dog with no legs. No sense naming it because it will not come when you call it
I knew a guy that had a dog with no legs . Every nite he would take him out for a drag.

HBolte
10-24-2014, 03:57 AM
No, and I don't call them her or she either...

PereBourik
10-24-2014, 04:05 AM
I named my earliest ones. Now I have so many that names don't occur to me for them. See the names in my sig.

CeeJay
10-24-2014, 04:16 AM
I don't name my ukuleles .......but I do call them lots of names ....:rolleyes: especially if they aren't behaving properly and playing nice ....:o

Manalishi
10-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Mine came with names.Mahalo,Makala,etc.....They are musical
instruments not pets or children!

kohanmike
10-24-2014, 08:16 AM
I tend to call them either by the manufacturer name or style; Kala, Gretsch, Vorson, two hole, gypsy jazz, mandolele, fretless u-bass, LP bass, Gold Tone or MicroBass.

coolkayaker1
10-24-2014, 08:32 AM
I knew a guy that had a dog with no legs . Every nite he would take him out for a drag. That is so funny, Pete!

Reminds me of a joke in grade school. Kids at the door: "Can Jimmy come out and play?" Jimmy's mom: "You kids know that Jimmy has no arms and no legs." Kids: "Yeah, but he can play second base."

ohmless
10-24-2014, 08:41 AM
no proper name but nickname certainly. "Homegirl" or "Haina"

The Big Kahuna
10-24-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm desperate to have Beau Hannam make me a uke or guitar, just so I can name it "C......."

Actually, I'll leave that unsaid. Beau will know what I'm talking about ;)

Down Up Dick
10-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Do those of you who name your Ukes talk to them? :old:

KaraUkey
10-24-2014, 03:53 PM

More or less. You're a Solo performer doing your first gig at a new venue (so you're not sure of the acoustics) lots of people you don't know, you might say "OK Eddy, we're on" or "time to strut our stuff" or something else completely innocuous but a little reassuring. Like a competition surfer might say to his favourite board or a professional biker to his favourite bike. I guess it's because it's a solo gig. So, yes, to me anyway, I like the reassurance of a familiar instrument. None of the other equipment matters all that much, like mixers etc. because they're not there anyway when you're plugged into house sound.

stevepetergal
10-24-2014, 04:54 PM
I had a Johnson I called Junk. Once it was gone I changed its name to good riddance.

The Big Kahuna
10-24-2014, 09:17 PM
I had a Johnson I called Junk. Once it was gone I changed its name to good riddance.

Isn't "Junk" a slang term for your J...

CeeJay
10-25-2014, 03:48 AM

...well yes ..after I have called it a name I usually just give it a brief synopsis of why that particular name for the moment . But I make sure that there are no Ladies or kids ...or easily frightened small animals in the vicinity....and well away from the mic if on stage......

"You fuzzing bazza piece of ship kicking son of a titch mother plucker.." or at least I believe that is what it sounds like when uttered sotto voce............

cua94
10-25-2014, 04:45 AM
here are mine