Fraying fluoro strings?

Andy Chen

Reaction score
Without mentioning brands, I just want to ask if the fraying strings on my trebles mean they are going to snap soon?

The E and A strings exhibit lint-like piece coming off them...

But otherwise, they still play fine.

Any thoughts?

Worths. ;) Haven't figured out why yet, but every once in a while you get one that has a loose end (new frets seem to make it worse). I think I've only ever had one break once because of the fraying (it was because I had been pulling on it, to be fair). Other than that you can usually just roll with it and it either goes away or you forget about it. It really depends on the "grain" of the fray.

I'd be interested to hear if it's a universal flurocarbon problem.

Worths. ;) Haven't figured out why yet, but every once in a while you get one that has a loose end (new frets seem to make it worse). I think I've only ever had one break once because of the fraying (it was because I had been pulling on it, to be fair). Other than that you can usually just roll with it and it either goes away or you forget about it. It really depends on the "grain" of the fray.
I'd be interested to hear if it's a universal flurocarbon problem.

Yep, it's universal, and indicates the string has been damaged in some sort of way. It will often proceed from a fine fray to giving a dead sound and in worst cases to a break.

It can happen when strings are cut, packed, or installed by a customer. In our case, we figure 2 out of 3 means we should assume responsibility, and we replace any fraying material.

Hi Dirk,

Actually the strings are from South Coast: HML-FW, which I installed on my Mya-Moe tenor.

I haven't replaced them because they still sound great (MUCH better than the stock strings, actually), but I am concerned they may snap in the middle of a performance.

Yep, it's universal, and indicates the string has been damaged in some sort of way. It will often proceed from a fine fray to giving a dead sound and in worst cases to a break.

It can happen when strings are cut, packed, or installed by a customer. In our case, we figure 2 out of 3 means we should assume responsibility, and we replace any fraying material.

I had frayed strings once--A and E strings, same set, as I recall--and it was Southcoast Brand, a brand which I enjoy greatly. I contacted Dirk and, just as he says above, he explained it to me, then sent me replacements, pronto. Customer service second to none.

Try calling Worth, probably not the same response. ;-)

Last edited:
Andy, you're not in any imminent danger of breakage until you hear the sound start to deaden. It will happen sooner or later, however, so best to take care of it now.

... I contacted Dirk and, just as he says above, he explained it to me, then sent me replacements, pronto. Customer service second to none....

Thanks, cool! Yep, that's what we do. Just drop us an e-mail (the address is on site or in the signature below).

Top Bottom