my payday project

niwenomian

Reaction score
Every two weeks on payday, I treat myself to some new music. For the past year or so, it's been all uke related music or bands. I'm trying to explore all the different places that people have taken this instrument of ours. Whenever I hear about an artist or band that sounds interesting, I add them to the list.

Some recent purchases:

Brad Bordessa-Point A
John King-Royal Hawaiian Music and J.S. Bach
Amanda Palmer-Who killed Amanda Palmer
Tune-Yards-Bird Brains and Bird Droppings EP
Beirut-Gulag Orkester
Herb Ohta Jr.-'Ukulele Journey
Ohta-San-Body Surfing
Ka'au Crater Boys-On Fire
Brittni Paiva-Four Strings:The Fire Within
Cliff "Ukulele Ike' Edwards-Singin in the Rain-The Best Of
Roy Smeck-The Best in Ukulele
etc

Next up this Friday is the new James Hill album. I'm really looking forward to that There are maybe a dozen more on the list beyond that.

If you could suggest one uke-related album for my list, what would it be?

I really enjoy Kimo Hussey and Kalei Gamaio, so something by each of them would be on my list.

I'd throw a Jake Shimibukuro album in there.

Edited to add:

Okay, just one. Eminent Ukulele by Kimo Hussey

Last edited:
That's a great idea. What about a Taimane Gardner album?

Great idea, and a tough question to answer -- I like it!

Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain: Live in London

Great idea, and a tough question to answer -- I like it!

Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain: Live in London

They crack me up!
I think I will treat myself to that album for I have not heard it yet. Thanks..

I really enjoy Kimo Hussey and Kalei Gamaio, so something by each of them would be on my list.

I'd throw a Jake Shimibukuro album in there.

Edited to add:

Okay, just one. Eminent Ukulele by Kimo Hussey

All great suggestions. Eminent Ukulele was an early collection that I didn't list, as were Jake's albums. I didn't catch on to Kalei until fairly recently, and he is fantastic. I had a chance to see him AND Kimo at the Strum Shop in Nor Cal a few months ago. Two great guys, amazing players and each with their own way of playing.

All great suggestions. Eminent Ukulele was an early collection that I didn't list, as were Jake's albums. I didn't catch on to Kalei until fairly recently, and he is fantastic. I had a chance to see him AND Kimo at the Strum Shop in Nor Cal a few months ago. Two great guys, amazing players and each with their own way of playing.

I would love to see them together or separately or whenever!!! I love them both and love their unique styles. You have quite a listening library. Very nice.

Craig Chee - Life in the Key of Chee
Craig Chee/Sarah Maisel - Say When...
Mike Kassel - 59 Minutes to Midnight

Those are three of my favorite albums, and people.

Couple I have from Lil Rev are "The Happiest Way to Be Sad" and "Drop Baby Drop". He also just came out with harmonica 2 CD set called "Harmonica Americana". Not your typical harmonica. Another couple of guys that I like are the Flea Bitten Dogs from St Louis area. There first 2 cd's are "Dawg Bones" and "Love Songs". Dave Spangler does most of the vocals and what a mello voice. Thom Pallozola does the pickin' uke.

Dan

http://www.ukuleleplayermagazine.com/
Check out the above link for a great free magazine. In reading a few articles I saw a recommendation for A J Leonard. Wow what a talent from the "Down Under".
Then do you self another favor and visit A J's site where you can listen to each of his CD's in whole. I bet you will wish to add one or three to you Pay Day wish list. What a talent!
http://www.ajleonard.com/
Enjoy....

http://www.ukuleleplayermagazine.com/
Check out the above link for a great free magazine. In reading a few articles I saw a recommendation for A J Leonard. Wow what a talent from the "Down Under".
Then do you self another favor and visit A J's site where you can listen to each of his CD's in whole. I bet you will wish to add one or three to you Pay Day wish list. What a talent!
http://www.ajleonard.com/
Enjoy....

Don't forget to check the "archives" tab on the menu. We have 31 issues of Ukulele Player Magazine when it was available in PDF format. They are all linked in the archives. Eventually, all of the contents will be available on the new WordPress site. We also will be adding the new club listing soon. It will include some new clubs that we are adding to the list. It will be added to the Archive page after the links to the old issues. The new club listings will be updated as submissions come to us. The entire list will be a PDF file. We'll make sure that every submission makes it into the list.

~Mickey

Top Bottom