Your Ultimate Ukulele Festival

Ooh 10? In no particular order...
1) Daniel Ho, 2) Herb Ohta Jr., 3 and 4) Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee, 5) Kris Fuchigami, 6) Aldrine Guerrero, 7) Brittni Paiva, 8) Jake Shimabukuro, 9) James Hill, 10) Corey Fujimoto.

Aldrine, duh!!! If you have never seen him? He will blow your mind. He is CRAZY good.
Jake -- another no-brainer
Troy Fernandez
Taimaine
Herb Ohta, Jr -- but he needs to bring Jon Yamasato along
Craig Chee
Sarah Maisel
Jim Beloff -- ukulele players owe him a lot. He has made it so accessible with his books, etc.
DanielleAteTheSandwich -- dang, pure fun.
Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britian. (Does that count as 1 unit?)

Cripes, Limiting it to only 10 is very difficult. I did pick some that aren't "blow you out of the water with technique players", but have great shows.

You win the lottery, Mike? Is this happening?

1) Daniel Ho, 2) Herb Ohta Jr., 3 and 4) Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee, 5) Kris Fuchigami, 6) Aldrine Guerrero, 7) Brittni Paiva, 8) Jake Shimabukuro, 9) James Hill, 10) Corey Fujimoto.

Thanks Staci for mentioning Corey...he is the best undiscovered talent in Hawaii...he will be in Taiwan in October for a few concerts....he is huge there....:)

1) Daniel Ho, 2) Herb Ohta Jr., 3) Kalei Gamiao 4) Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee, 5) Kris Fuchigami, 6) Aldrine Guerrero, 7) Brittni Paiva, 8) Jake Shimabukuro, 9) James Hill, 10) Corey Fujimoto.

I like this list but I'm going to combine Sarah and Craig (even though each is enjoyable alone, they're also great together) so there's room for Kalei Gamiao. ;-

James Hill
Herb Ohta, Jr
Aldrine Guerrero
Corey Fujimoto
Troy Fernandez
Brad Bordessa
Daniel Ward
Craig Chee
Gerald Ross
Aaron Keim

I would pick the guys who also know how to teach and communicate. I can just buy a CD if I want to be amazed by there skills. I want to learn something from them. With that said, I would include Paul Hemmings

Omitting some folks I love, but have seen several times.
I'd pick in no particular order:
Bruce Shimabukuro,
Aldrine,
Ralph Shaw,
Gus and Finn,
Kyas Ryo,
Taimane Gardner,
The Canote brothers,
UOGB,
Kalei Gamiao
and Singto Numchok.

O.K., as some have mentioned, there are way too many good players to make this possible for many of us, so I’ll take an approach that narrows things down a lot. I’ll skip the instructional aspect and pick players that you either seldom hear playing or that live a long ways from here in Dixie.

I wouldn’t go with 10, this would just be just one long afternoon/evening – cut it down to 6.

Opening Act: Rob MacKillop (start out quietly with some subtlety and class).

Second, go with that seldom heard, yet still legendary Uke Ellington. After all, how many people have heard these guys (yet)!

Then bring out: Victrola Lague Debushwick (great chops – very unique take on the classic songbook, and now everyone’s in a good time mood).

Follow her with: Steve Martin (won a grammy for his banjo work, but still has chops on the Ukulele). He can’t sing that well, but between song banter would be to die for.

Since Steve can’t sing, he brings out a friend, his Special Guest: Bette Midler (the opposite of Steve – just a basic strummer, but boy can she sing).

Then, go back to Britain again for a fellow named: Sir Paul McCartney (here’s where the lottery money comes in, as he brings a small back-up band, but is told he can only play Ukulele).

And for the grand, tear the house down finale, I’d bring together a couple of fellows to form a true Ukulele Super Duo. Their performance would make trad Uke style history. I'd call them Bekken & Duncan (too much like a law firm?).

Last edited:
Bekken & Duncan, fo' sho'!:drool:

:cheers:

1. Ingrid Michaelson
2. Sarah Maisel
3. Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain
4. Nelly McKay
5. Vance Joy
6. Noah and the Whale
7. Sophie Madeleine
8. Danielle Anderson
9. Taylor Swift
10. Victor and Penny

Last edited:
1. Ingrid Michaelson
2. Sarah Maisel
3. Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain
4. Nelly McKay
5. Vance Joy
6. Noah and the Whale
7. Sophie Madeleine
8. Daniel Anderson
9. Taylor Swift
10. Victor and Penny

Hey Don, for an old guy, you know lots of young performers! :p

Hey Don, for an old guy, you know lots of young performers! :p

Thanks Daniel. It helps to have three cool daughters (21, 19, and 17). I love that the uke is becoming more mainstream. I miss-spelled Danielle Ate the Sandwich's name but just corrected it. We have all her CDs.

Jason Arimoto
Uke Ellington
Sarah & Craig
Corey Fujimoto (thanks again for the CD Len)
Kimo Hussey
Troy Fernandez
Herb Ohta Jr.
Daniel Ho
Aldrine & Aaron
Taimane

Gerald Ross (and I'd hope he would also remember to bring along a steel guitar), Lil Rev, Joe Brown, Janet Klein, Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer and Deb Porter if she is still active. No need for any more acts ...just give these people plenty of time.
JP

Top Bottom