Should I Trade My Banjo Uke for a Pocket Uke?

Papa Tom

Reaction score
I really thought I was going to use my banjo uke a lot more than I did. It's not an expensive one; it's a Rally that I bought on eBay for about $175. I never really set up the bridge correctly, so it's got an annoying little buzz whenever I play a G chord in the first position. Mostly, though, it's just too heavy to lug around on trips and to work, and it's not versatile enough to whip out at a party.

I REALLY want a pocket uke, but I can't really justify spending any more money on these silly little instruments, so I'm thinking of trading in my practically brand new banjolele. I've been out of the loop for a bit, so can anybody tell me if banjoleles are still in as much demand as they were a couple of years ago? Also, what do you think I should ask for this particular instrument?

Thanks!

Can't rely say what you should do but I do know that just the other day a woman asked if that was a uke in my pocket or was I just happy to see her.

if you think ull get more use out of the pocket uke then, well, go get one! Im a big believer in why keep something, ( especially of significant value ) if it can help you on your way to pay or trade for something you will really enjoy? Otherwise its just pickin up dust in the corner. I had a koaloha soprano that was amazing, realized afterwards im not a huge soprano fan and had it traded in no time. Now i could have kept it simply on the premise that it is "nice" but that doesnt get you to far in the world of music if you're not even touchin it. Send it towards something you will get true use out of, at least thats my two cents!!

I realize now i didnt really answer the question lol i imagine they are in just as much demand as before, put a FT ( for trade ) post in the market place for a pocket uke and who knows what will happen!

PM sent a minute ago.

What size are you used to playing?

Isn't a pocket uke smaller than a sopranino? I'm a tenor gal, concert is okay, but even soprano gets a bit cramped for me. I can't really see (myself at least) getting much use out of a pocket uke.

I've seen pocket ukes on ebay for like $50. You might consider selling your banjo uke to buy a pocket one instead of going for a trade where you'd lose more than you gain.

I've never really understood the point of a pocket uke. They don't really sound that great (to my ears), and they have super cramped fretboards. I would consider actually learning how to set-up your banjo-uke and messing around with that. But there's no accounting for taste!

i dont understand the complaining about size. I play and generally prefer sopranos. i messed with a kala pocket travel at my first visit to a samash. i'll be getting a rubin soon to play with. no i never played guitar before my hands are too big for the skinny string spacing to play chords. barre chords are your friend:

here's a shot showing my fingers getting stuck in a piano (this one is a full sized midi controller):
https://imgur.com/aD3EUYH

that being said in general banjoleles seem to demand higher prices than ukuleles. I suspect we'll start to see more sopraninos start to show up soon, perhaps even as fasr as we've seen plastics explode in the past year or so. We'll be seeing more budget brands released.

Last edited:
Ohana coming out with a new pocket uke, all solid with a spruce top. Have you played a pocket uke? Some love'em, too tiny for others. How about a "travel size" uke? Some of the advantages of a pocket uke, a little easier to play. If money isn't a problem, keep the banjo uke for ?????? I don't play my Rally often either, but when I want to play a little bluegrass, I'm glad I have it. I also have a soprano size banjo uke with a 6" pot. Some vintage models have a slightly smaller or slightly larger pot. It's open back, so it's not nearly as heavy, but it's still a lot heavier than a similar sized uke. You might be able to find someone with a solid lacewood Kala travel uke to trade. They came in all three sizes but were discontinued. They sound really loud for their size.

I really thought I was going to use my banjo uke a lot more than I did. It's not an expensive one; it's a Rally that I bought on eBay for about $175. I never really set up the bridge correctly, so it's got an annoying little buzz whenever I play a G chord in the first position. Mostly, though, it's just too heavy to lug around on trips and to work, and it's not versatile enough to whip out at a party.

I REALLY want a pocket uke, but I can't really justify spending any more money on these silly little instruments, so I'm thinking of trading in my practically brand new banjolele. I've been out of the loop for a bit, so can anybody tell me if banjoleles are still in as much demand as they were a couple of years ago? Also, what do you think I should ask for this particular instrument?

Thanks!

How about one of those Chinese Rubin pocket ukes? Only 24 UK currency units shipped, and very playable! There's a thread on them somewhere.

I should have one of these rubins with soft case in a couple of weeks. I should probably actually try to do a video review for once, before and after setup or something.

....it's got an annoying little buzz whenever I play a G chord in the first position.

Ah yes, it sounds like a banjo then! Seriously, i wouldn't trade between genres of Ukuleles. If you want the pocket Uke, keep the banjo Uke and get the pocket Uke too. I would always keep my instruments, or trade up within the same genre. Maybe your decision right now should be, "Do I get the pocket Uke, or trade up to a better banjo Uke?"

I should have one of these rubins with soft case in a couple of weeks. I should probably actually try to do a video review for once, before and after setup or something.

I had to radically lower the saddle and file a proud fret on mine (as well as the usual tightening of tuners), but it's really nice now.
I'll be taking it to a uke rally in Holland (by bike) next week.

Top Bottom