a few of my uke's

little timber

Reaction score
I've been making ukuleles out of my basement for the last year or so, before that I had made a few electric guitars, but ukuleles are my first stab at acoustic building. your input is very much welcome. I have made a few tenors, a baritone, and a concert. here are a few of them...
IMG_20140712_124558939.jpg
IMG_20140712_124620107.jpg

IMG_20140719_125113283.jpg
IMG_20140719_125211708.jpg

ukeweb.jpg

by the way, how does one get the pictures to show up in the body of the post instead of just as links? thanks all!

They look impressive to me. As well as seeing the finished product, lots of folks like to see/hear how you have made them, materials used, jigs/tools you've employed etc. I think it encourages others to have a go.

They look well finished: have you used Tru oil or sprayed with nitro cellulose?

the last picture- the redwood and walnut baritone was done with lacquer, the rest are truoil... I love truoil and doubt that I would willingly go back to lacquer unless by special request. i'd be up for posting a build in progress, if I could figure out how to get the pictures to show up as pictures and not just links that would make it easier for me, and probably easier for anyone reading this to follow. any advice on that?

yay! now just to figure out how to do it with flickr pictures

LT005web5.jpg

These are really beautiful. The binding in particular is gorgeous. Is there a particular rationale behind the bridge design? It's larger than I'm used to seeing.

Nice ukes. I enjoyed the pictures. I really like the cutaway with the slotted headstock. I like the other cutaway but am not a huge fan of short headstocks.

Great work, thanks for sharing.

Very nice ukes

The only thing that I would change if I were you is to reduce the bridge size. They seem too wide and a bit too long IMO. Keep building, you're doing nice work.

These are really beautiful. The binding in particular is gorgeous. Is there a particular rationale behind the bridge design? It's larger than I'm used to seeing.

Its more that I'm afraid to make them too small...and they usually end up on the large side

Its more that I'm afraid to make them too small...and they usually end up on the large side

Large side is an understatement. I've heard of caution but...Yikes. They look very nice to me. Most will say the big bridge will hurt your tone, but if you like how they sound then go for it

Thanks for all the comments, seems like bridge design is a good place to start tweeking my designs... I have a new tenor in the works and I will think of this thread while working on its bridge. I'll post pictures. Appreciate the input.

Very pretty ukes! Keep it up! Maybe if the bridges were made of the same wood as the tops, they would seem less blatant....

Top Bottom