Update of Ukulele Player Magazine

Pippin

Reaction score
Hi Gang, you might have heard that we switched the magazine to a WordPress site a while ago. The purpose was to make it so that the design work would be much easier and we could just concentrate mostly on adding valuable content.

I've been adding content to the new Ukulele Player Magazine website. The goal is to provide all previous ukulele reviews, CD reviews, and artist spotlights in a searchable database through the power of WordPress.

http://www.ukuleleplayermagazine.com

This morning, I added profiles on Craig Robertson, Amber Nash, Dave Gjessing (Waverly Street Ukes). I also added a uke review of the Martin S-0 (that appeared in Issue1 of the magazine).

In regard to interviews, I'll add the start of the articles and a link to the original issue in which the interview appeared.

Going forward, new interviews are going to be added with a lead paragraph and some other content with a link to a PDF with the full interview.

If you have not had a chance to check out the new format, take a look.

The other thing I want to emphasize is that you can now subscribe to the magazine and that way you can keep abreast of updates and new additions as they occur. We don't allow comments because we don't want to spend endless hours removing marketing crap and spam. We want to keep the magazine alive and well for a long time to come and making things a lot less physically taxing on me really had a lot to do with the decision, as well as the need for people to subscribe (which has been our biggest request over the years), keeping it FREE, and also making it searchable.

~Mickey

Thanks for sharing the link. I was not aware of your magazine and took a peek and I will be back to digest it more.
I read this article What is the Difference in Tone Woods?
Posted on July 28, 2014 by Mickey Maguire
and it made me recall a recent challenge placed to UU folks to identify which ukulele was made of Koa. To my surprise some of our more seasoned members "guessed" wrong. I must add both of the ukuleles sounded fantastic to my untrained ears. In fact the majority chose the wrong uke as made from Koa.
Best wishes and again Thank You.

Update...I did check out A.J. Leonard and recommend other who have not heard of him like me. He did a remake of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts (opps I mean Uke) Club Band and has a video that I think you will like......awesome! Check out his albums which you can listen in whole. What a treat!
http://www.ajleonard.com/

Last edited:
Thanks Mickey!!

. . . off to read :)

I want to add... check out the "archives" section. In it, you'll find links to all 31 issues of Ukulele Player Magazine when it was put together in PDF format. Every issue will eventually be in the new WordPress format, but, until then, you can read them all in the archives.

Mickey

Thanks for the posting! I didn't know about the magazine until now.

Edit: OK, I signed up and looked around. Nice site! I'm hoping to get a l lot of value from it over time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the posting! I didn't know about the magazine until now.

The first issue was released December 2008 although the last two years, we had few releases due to health issues and other things. That was another reason for the change in the way we do things. In the older configuration, every page was built from the ground up. Now, the design is there and I can just post the articles, add a picture or two, and get onto other things. We also have a team of writers... all talented, all musicians, and all professional caliber writers.

Over the last few months I've read all 31 issues of Ukulele Player magazine, and just last week looked at the new web site. Glad to have this information at my finger tips (literally with my iPad).

Over the last few months I've read all 31 issues of Ukulele Player magazine, and just last week looked at the new web site. Glad to have this information at my finger tips (literally with my iPad).

Thanks for reading.

I've been amazed over the years since we started the magazine how many people have said that they just recently discovered us. We have, at last count, over 155,000 readers from around the globe. Our number one question was "How can I subscribe" followed closely by "Can you put me on your mailing list?" So, that was a big factor in changing to the WordPress format.

We hope that the manufacturers like the new format.

Thanks, Pippin, for your time and effort in creating such great magazines! I've been reading and re-reading your articles multiple times since last year. You do fantastic work. Thanks again!

@equina --You're welcome. Thanks for reading. I am still amazed that the ukulele has grown so big in popularity over the last few years. I've played one since the 1960s (guitar, too). When Jimmy Buffett started playing a uke and brought Jake Shimabukuro on tour with him, that said something. The uke is now enjoying popularity that might just surpass the so-called heyday. We may be living in the "Golden Age" of ukulele.

Top Bottom