Fender ukuleles

Rllink

Reaction score
Anybody have an opinion about the Fender Ukuleles. The local music shop has one. The guy working there doesn't know much about ukuleles. I asked about set up, and he said he would have to check on it. I didn't have a lot of time to look at it. I'm thinking of going back though. I don't even know which model it is, so I need to do a little more research.

I'm not a Fender guy when it comes to guitars but I've tried a few of their ukes out in stores and they seem to be very well made, pretty easy to play and relatively affordable. Believe they have Fishman preamps as standard which is a big plus.

Fender ukuleles have never been highly regarded as they have been overbuilt in the past. Fender recently changed the construction of their ukuleles and the recently constructed models have been getting some pretty decent reviews, at least more positive than in the past. Hawaii Music Site (HMS) is a good source for Fender ukuleles and they will assure it is setup well before they deliver.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/fender.html

Fender ukuleles have never been highly regarded as they have been overbuilt in the past. Fender recently changed the construction of their ukuleles and the recently constructed models have been getting some pretty decent reviews, at least more positive than in the past. Hawaii Music Site (HMS) is a good source for Fender ukuleles and they will assure it is setup well before they deliver.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/fender.html
Thanks......

I've had a $ 200 Fender NoHea for 2 years. I still like it more than my $ 1100 Kanile'a, and I like my Kanile'a a LOT. If you like it, buy it. Just don't buy it from your "local music shop". The chances are that the only reason they're stocking ukuleles is because they are currently popular, and they want to make some money before this particular bandwagon dies on its arse. Buy it from HMS, or don't buy it at all.

I've had a $ 200 Fender NoHea for 2 years. I still like it more than my $ 1100 Kanile'a, and I like my Kanile'a a LOT. If you like it, buy it. Just don't buy it from your "local music shop". The chances are that the only reason they're stocking ukuleles is because they are currently popular, and they want to make some money before this particular bandwagon dies on its arse. Buy it from HMS, or don't buy it at all.
Thanks, if I do buy one, I will get it from HMS.

The first ukes Fender brought to market were hit and miss with quality. Some people are claiming that they are much better now, but, I have not had a chance to review one. When I do get a chance, I'll post a comment on it.

Have read a lot of good posts from happy Fender uke owners. That being said, unless you just like the Fender design and all, there are lots of other nice $200 ukes.

Fender has become quite an instrument conglomerate. Have had a Fender mandolin for a while that's been better than expected and today got a Gretsch banjolele. The number of names now under the Fender banner has really grown. Have not tried their ukuleles, but would not be against the experience.

We have a lady in UBA who has a Fender tenor. She bought it earlier in 2014. She bought it at a music store in Nashville and had a set up done on it at a guitar shop in Huntsville, Al. It really plays well and I think it has a great sound.

Is Gretsch owned by Fender? My husband plays a deluxe tenor Gretsch and that thing is also very sweet. Feels and sounds great.

We have a lady in UBA who has a Fender tenor. She bought it earlier in 2014. She bought it at a music store in Nashville and had a set up done on it at a guitar shop in Huntsville, Al. It really plays well and I think it has a great sound.

Is Gretsch owned by Fender? My husband plays a deluxe tenor Gretsch and that thing is also very sweet. Feels and sounds great.

In 2002/2003 Fender and Gretsch joined forces, in that the Gretsch family still owns Gretsch, but most of the business (marketing, product development, distribution and such) has been effectively subcontracted to Fender. That has changed the product to something under Fender's control with the Gretsch name still on the headstock. That's not necessarily bad, because of all the possible companies Gretsch could have made arrangements to build under the Gretsch name, Fender is one of the better ones.

I have several Gretsch Ukes. They're nice instruments and a good bang for the buck!

My Gretsch G9121 A.C.E. is really good, even better when I changed the strings to Worth CT. There was a short time when I thought I would like to get a Fender T-Bucket™ Tenor, but went for Vorzon steel string Tele look-a-like.

I had a Fender Pa'ina. I bought it used and it was a 2nd. I loved that uke and regret selling it. I sold it on here to a no longer active member. I've tried messaging him to see if he wanted to resell it if he's no longer playing it. Never heard back. That's one uke I really regret selling.

I had a Fender Pa'ina. I bought it used and it was a 2nd. I loved that uke and regret selling it. I sold it on here to a no longer active member. I've tried messaging him to see if he wanted to resell it if he's no longer playing it. Never heard back. That's one uke I really regret selling.
I don't know if that is what I want to upgrade to, or not. A good friend of mine took up playing the guitar when he retired. I had actually been thinking of taking up the guitar as well, but watching what my friend was doing, and how serious he had to be all the time, I decided to go with the ukulele. So I just saw it and how it looked like a miniature fender guitar, and thought that it might be fun. We will have to wait and see though. I'm not going to get all UAS, so I need to be pretty careful about the next upgrade. Another thing, the one that I saw at the music store did not have an electric pickup. I asked about getting one with a pickup and the guy working suggested that he thought getting a Fishman installed there would be better.

Sounds like a Fender 52. All the ones I've seen have had Fishman pickups installed. Really liked the feel of it when I played one a few weeks ago.

Did it look like this?

fender_ukulele_52.jpg

I think the "bad" fenders came out in around 2010 and then after a year on the market they fixed them up (correct me if im wrong). I have a 2012 and it is FANTASTIC its my go to ukulele and I would never part, they are laminate but I think they are fantastic and worth the money

In 2002/2003 Fender and Gretsch joined forces, in that the Gretsch family still owns Gretsch, but most of the business (marketing, product development, distribution and such) has been effectively subcontracted to Fender. That has changed the product to something under Fender's control with the Gretsch name still on the headstock. That's not necessarily bad, because of all the possible companies Gretsch could have made arrangements to build under the Gretsch name, Fender is one of the better ones.

Thank you so much!!

Also, the Fender ukulele posted above looks quite different from the one my friend in UBA plays, but it just may be the sunburst throwing me off. I looked at some photos online, and compared them to a UBA photo. I think the one I've played is the Hau-oli mahogany Fender. It sounded and felt quite good.

Thank you so much!!

Also, the Fender ukulele posted above looks quite different from the one my friend in UBA plays, but it just may be the sunburst throwing me off. I looked at some photos online, and compared them to a UBA photo. I think the one I've played is the Hau-oli mahogany Fender. It sounded and felt quite good.
I'm not where I can easily post a picture, but that is the Hau'oli is the one that I was looking at.

Top Bottom