Equipment for making a video?

UkeTX

Reaction score
I hope this is the right strand to post in...but I need suggestions as to how to get started making a video of myself playing and singing. Okay, I have a Flip camera that I use for other things and love it...ha. I will appreciate any help you could offer.

If there are other posts that have already worn this topic out, please let me know of those too!

Terry

I hope this is the right strand to post in...but I need suggestions as to how to get started making a video of myself playing and singing. Okay, I have a Flip camera that I use for other things and love it...ha. I will appreciate any help you could offer.

If there are other posts that have already worn this topic out, please let me know of those too!

Terry

I don't know what a Flip camera is ... I am such a technophobe I am still using a Sony handycam (super 8 analogue linked through Roxio "VHS to Digital software")

What you may need is some software like say Serif Movie Plus X5 or similar ... a connection between camera and computer ..USB cable of two different ends ...one for PC one for camera....and it all depends on how good your camera mic is ...mine is a bit rubbish so I record into Cubase AI5 with a cheap Condenser mic plugged into a Yamaha Audiogram 3..

...turn it into MP3, import into Movie X5 and align it to the film and then edit ....the advantage of Serif is that it will upload to YT for you ...but I think a lot of Vid software does this.....

I record straight to PC but of course you can record to the camera elsewhere and then upload it from either it's hard disc or whatever mobile storage system it utilises.

http://www.serif.com/?mc=SERPPCFDBrand&gclid=COnAh4qKhcECFQMIwwod2AMA9g

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ very excellent free software .......you will still need an interface to record through....

The Yamaha audiogram is about 70 quids or whatever that is in US Dollars but comes with Cubase software ...which is fairly expensive on it's own ....Behringer do a fairly reasonable box as well for about forty ish squids...

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/behr...cy=GBP&flt=1&gclid=COmL79-LhcECFYzHtAodE1IAeA

http://www.rubadub.co.uk/yamaha-aud...tore=default&gclid=CMG_uMWNhcECFQsEwwod6T4Axw

Sorry the links are to UK sites but if you see the models then at least you have an idea what to ask for . Sweetwater may be able to help....

http://www.sweetwater.com/

Do you have a Mac? Because I use my phone, upload with iPhoto and then edit with iMovie. All free software that came with the computer. And when I want to really get into I use garageband for the audio (again something free that came with the computer.) Just get started somewhere and then add what you need. Nowadays free software gets a lot done. Then if you want more you can purchase a fancier piece of software that will do more. :)

Terry

First, it would be helpful to know if your computer is Windows, Mac or Linux. Each has different programs to help.

Second, aside from the FLipCAM, what other cameras do you have already, if any? Do you have a smartphone or tablet, either of which could be running Apple's iOS, Google Android, or WindowsPhone.

Without knowing your starting points here, and comfort level, it will be more difficult to advise.

As Johnny mentioned, if you are on Mac, Apple gives you ALL the software for FREE, and it all works well together and then it's 1-click to put your finished video on Youtube or Vimeo...I use a Mac and an iPad with some external microphones (still experimenting) - but it depends what you want to accomplish and how much 'gear' you are willing to mess with to achieve your goals.

having said that, MANY folks here on UU just use their smartphone, and then from that captured video, upload it directly to youtube. Youtube also offers some minimal video effects, editing and doing titles.

let us know as per the above, and you will get more detailed suggestions. There are at least a dozen ways to make videos with the way that technology is now, and not all of them are expensive, nor complicated.

Oh wonderful information! I use Windows 7 on my laptop and Windows 8 on my tablet. I do have a smartphone. I have no idea how to use it though for recording, but would like to know. I don't have any other cameras.

Oh wonderful information! I use Windows 7 on my laptop and Windows 8 on my tablet. I do have a smartphone. I have no idea how to use it though for recording, but would like to know. I don't have any other cameras.

Does your laptop/tablet/smarphone each not have a camera? I would think that the recording quality of both the audio and video would be better than that of the FlipCam.

Your smartphone camera might offer a similar convenience due to it's size when compared to the FlipCam, but may have better quality due to the hardware being newer.

I thought Cisco stopped making the FlipCam back in 2009?

There are built-in free apps for the tablet and smartphone that can record video, and also on your laptop.

Maybe you can make a comparison video test recording with each device, with it's native software, and then compare the quality when you play them back. That way you can see if you already have good enough hardware.

Lighting will be important, as in having enough, and shining ON YOU, instead of from BEHIND you. Face a window during the day, and get daylight on yourself, as this will give the most natural color and balance. Incandescent light (tungsten filament) tends to look yellow on video, and fluoroscent light tends to have a green cast, LED lights tend to have a blue cast. These can be fixed in software, but nothing looks better than natural daylight.

As far as editing, doesn't Windows still include (or offer on free download) Windows Movie Maker? If so, that might suit your needs well enough and is quite simple to use.

Also, what kinds of videos do you want to make? This might influence both the equipment choices as well as editing software.

I'm sure others can chime in, and I know there have been previous threads on this topic but right now I have no links too them.

-Booli

If you are just starting out, I suggest you stick to the free basics. Your smart phone should be able to record audio and video. I have an iPhone and find it works just fine. I have had people record me playing at UWC and I thought the video turned out great. Point and shoot.

You might look into a webcam. Some of them include audio and aren't that expensive.

Looking into a webcam is good advice ...do not look away..the back of your head:biglaugh: Sorrrrrrry....no really a web cam is good advice...they are relatively cheap....come with onboard reasonable quality microphone...software and usually uplink/load to You Tube.

Just one thing ..with the cheaper WCams you need to make sure that you are well lit or they start to get a bit slow and synchronisation between sound and sight is a bit off.

And don't be disheartened by the apparently complicated Software suggestions I made ...they aren't difficult to use and mostly self
explanatory at the basic level and then you have the opportunity to advance ....but the WebCam for static use is spot on ......

Keep it Slippy

CJ

What is your definition of "well lit"???? CeeJay:biglaugh:

Sorry I had to ask....

What is your definition of "well lit"???? CeeJay:biglaugh:

Sorry I had to ask....

A couple of spot lamps perhaps but keep the brewskis out the light 'cos they'll get warmed up !!

God, these latest iPads take amazing video quality in highly lighted conditions (even marginally dim lighting is an absolute video killer). The internal mic is small but of good quality. I find I can avoid any other external mic and the process of editing the sound back to the image by playing an amplified ukulele.

Wow, thanks for all this great advice. Now I have many things to think about - and I am keeping it simple for sure whatever I do. Maybe I will check out those free things first.

Wow, thanks for all this great advice. Now I have many things to think about - and I am keeping it simple for sure whatever I do. Maybe I will check out those free things first.

Well, you've got lots of options and suggestions. The only limiting factor is that if you use your computer and it's built-in camera, or a 3rd-party USB webcam, you are basically confined to the computer desk to make your recordings.

But, with your FlipCam, smartphone, tablet, a DSLR (like the Canon T3i or later) or that Zoom unit linked from Amazon above - you can basically video yourself ANYWHERE, even where there is no wall plug since all these devices run on battery.

Remember that Jake's video for 'My Guitar Gently Weeps' was recorded with him sitting on a tree stump in Central Park, NYC and that video has gotten MILLIONS of views and basically launched his career....

Also take a look in the CONTESTS section here on the forum as for the SEASONS contests, MOST of the videos are made solely with a smartphone or a tablet, and they come out pretty darn good using the built-in camera apps for those devices.....

Top Bottom