Great prices on Islander (by Kanile'a) ukes at Amazon

You lost me at "Amazon"

What difference does that make? Amazon are Amazon, and still one of the worst places to buy musical instruments.

Last edited:
If I bought something online it would be from a reputable website with professional set up.

Otherwise you could get anything.

While buying an instrument off a site like Amazon might not be for everyone, this is a great deal for anyone who would like a good ukulele on a budget. If you have a good tech around, someone who can do a great setup, then getting something that isn't setup isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

FWIW, I just price-checked Hawaii Music Supply and their prices are equal or better for the same instruments. Uke Republic is comparable on a few of them.

Each individual has the right to limit or to expand their opportunities as they see fit. The right to trash others choices is a bit shaky though. I have never had a bad buying experience through Amazon. Most mail order dealers don't do setups, doesn't make them a "bad" place to buy anything including instruments. Many of them are highly reputable. Just means you have to be a savvy buyer and the savings have to be low enough so that you can pay for some setup work "if" it needs it and still come out well ahead. I have bought a few ukes from such dealers that were perfect and didn't need any set up work save a little fret end filing, etc. etc. Just sayin!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing this information John

Last edited:
FWIW, I just price-checked Hawaii Music Supply and their prices are equal or better for the same instruments. Uke Republic is comparable on a few of them.

Thanks, that wasn't the case when I bought mine last week. Mine was very well set up though I did do the same tweaks I nearly always do, even to a Martin guitar from a high-end dealer...the nut slots were cut a little higher than needed so I lowered them. Also shined up the frets with Gorgomyte cloth (these things are great). It's a lot of uke for this money, maybe not as pretty as an equivalent Kala but sounds quite a bit better to my ear.

For what its worth - Hawaii Music Supply has dropped its prices on the Islanders dramatically in the last couple of days. I got the mt-4 GPU off of Amazon for 173.50 when it was 299 at Hawaii Music Supply. The HMS one comes with a case, but you have to pay shipping from Hawaii.

For what its worth - Hawaii Music Supply has dropped its prices on the Islanders dramatically in the last couple of days. I got the mt-4 GPU off of Amazon for 173.50 when it was 299 at Hawaii Music Supply. The HMS one comes with a case, but you have to pay shipping from Hawaii.

Yeah, just looked at HMS and while not as low as Amazon their prices definitely dropped lot since last week -- and in some cases the higher price also includes a case. I wonder if dealers are blowing these out for some reason? Maybe new model lines coming, or the line is even being discontinued?

UU rules of conduct:
5) Posting Links:
5.1 You may post links to items that you think may be of interest to your fellow members, but please do not post links to your own business, or other for-profit website in which you may have an interest, except in your forum signature or in the "Links and Videos" section.

Wow, I just looked at the Islander ukes on HMS and the price of the solid mahogany concert uke has got me seriously thinking about it. It's less expensive than on Amazon, and may still be even after shipping, plus it would be set up.

I'm just wondering if I should stick with laminates in my climate. I'm not good about things like humidifiers.

UU rules of conduct:
5) Posting Links:
5.1 You may post links to items that you think may be of interest to your fellow members, but please do not post links to your own business, or other for-profit website in which you may have an interest, except in your forum signature or in the "Links and Videos" section.

Maybe there needs to be more clarification as I see some posts in uke talk get moved to Links and Videos and not sure why...of course, it could be my own ignerenc

How do the Islanders stack up to the Ponos in terms of tone and volume? (Specifically, how would an Islander MST-4 compare to a Pono MT?) If Ponos are better, are they better enough to justify a $130 difference in price? Is an all-solid Islander substantially better in tone than similar all-solid ukes from Kala and Ohana?

FWIW, I'd much rather buy from a respected source like HMS, Uke Republic, Mim's or Mainland than some random guy posting on Amazon.

I bought the Islander MC-4 from HMS when it was much higher in price than they have it on for now (and it came with a case)- the set up was, of course, superb and the shipping very reasonable. At the new lower price it is a steal. Wasn't in love with the matte finish but I used DownUpDave's steel wool, lemon oil and renaissance wax trick that he used on his Opio and it really turned out great. But if I couldn't get what I wanted from HMS, I wouldn't hesitate to buy through Amazon at the bargain basement price. A little DIY setup or a local luthier could make it a very good instrument in short order. I'm even thinking about getting the soprano (that HMS doesn't have in stock or I would buy from them).

I find Amazon to be a great place to buy instruments, done so with no problems what-so-ever. Either I do the setup, or I have a local place do it.

Top Bottom