ORCAS - still stretching?

SuperSecretJohn

Reaction score
I've had my ORCAS black fluorocarbons on my tenor for about 18 days now, and they're still stretching! I know it takes longer to stretch when you simply tune it to key and play, but good gracious... D'addario Pro Arté J71s didn't even take that long. At this point, should I even try pull stretching the strings? Does anyone else with ORCAS strings have/had long stretching periods?

Make sure your soundboard or bridge isn't folding, bending in or coming unglued.

Most quality Ukes won't do this but I've had to get creative with some gluing of wood scraps on my cheap Kay.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. When I first got my Pono, it had a very small lift on the bridge when I had the standard Ko'olau golds, and the soundboard was never quite 100% flat to begin with. It hasn't moved since. It's still pretty secure I would say. The rest of the glue holding the bridge seems to be doing its job.

It's just that every day or two I have to tighten it 5cents or so. I hasn't got to that point where I can truely say they've settled.

5 cents every two days? I'd say that's not too bad, and they're mostly settled. I still get a few cents of movement once in a while, and more than that if I'm doing a lot of playing. But a bit of manual stretching on the strings probably wouldn't hurt either.

Every so often I have to tighten the screws on my Fluke because the friction heads tend to slip a bit over time. Even some of my open geared tuners get loose - albeit not as often. Have you checked these screws to make sure they're tight?

Top Bottom