Help in dating a vintage baritone

rls3800

Reaction score
I have a solid Koa, white label, vintage Kamaka baritone. Gold decal but no date stamp. Kamaka says they didn't stamp baritones. Anyway it has ivory keys with large screws, which appear to be original. It was sold as a '75, but Kamaka also says the larger screws weren't used until 1978. Anyone have any more insight into how I might tell when this was made. I'm guessing late '78-'80. 2527_mid5.jpg2527_mid2.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you want to go out with an aging opera singer...

Damned handsome baritone. I'd say get mm stan some more/bigger/better pictures. He correctly dated my white label soprano quickly enough.

I'd say get mm stan some more/bigger/better pictures. He correctly dated my white label soprano quickly enough.

And he has the sopraninos to prove it

These should help. Thanks.
IMG_7695[1].jpgIMG_7696[2].jpgIMG_7697[1].jpgIMG_7698[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7699[1].jpg
    IMG_7699[1].jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 9
first, you must determine if it's a boy or a girl, and don't ask me how to do that...

The white label suggests 1969-2001.

The Schaller tuners with thumbscrews (not very usual on a Kamaka baritone) narrow that down to post-1974.

Since you didn't mention any date or serial number stamp on the inside (on the heel block), that's even closer: 1975-1999. But still a 24 year time frame... I don't suppose the construction details changed that much during that period, perhaps you should ask them.

Top Bottom