New Uke Hangout in LA

Gillian

Reaction score
It is a really cute space -- plus as a bonus, though I've only been twice, both times Daniel Ho was there. :) They are supposed to be having two events in the next month or so and I'm really hoping to make it to both of them - Kris Fuchigami on October 26 and Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee on November 8th. I would love to take the classes there but I don't know that I want to commit to driving from the South Bay on a regular basis (and finding parking downtown!) Though it just might be worth it to grab lunch at Yang Chow or El Cholo.

It is a really cute space -- plus as a bonus, though I've only been twice, both times Daniel Ho was there. :) They are supposed to be having two events in the next month or so and I'm really hoping to make it to both of them - Kris Fuchigami on October 26 and Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee on November 8th. I would love to take the classes there but I don't know that I want to commit to driving from the South Bay on a regular basis (and finding parking downtown!) Though it just might be worth it to grab lunch at Yang Chow or El Cholo.

. . . and you can have Jason Arimoto make you an espresso :)

don't you mean King Taco? hehehe

Like the place but it is a pain to get to for many of us. Would love if they opened one on the West side, but not sure it would be viable on its own.

Like the place but it is a pain to get to for many of us. Would love if they opened one on the West side, but not sure it would be viable on its own.

Yeah that is my main thing. I would love one in the South Bay -- lots of people from Hawaii and Hawaiian hula halaus and stuff in Torrance, Redondo, Carson, etc. but no uke related stuff since the one uke store on Artesia closed. If this place had existed back when I lived in Pasadena I would have definitely gone there often.

I've been going there since shorty after it opened, once for a pot luck jam, and a half dozen group lessons, and private bass lessons from Brad (off the cuff a couple of times). Last week Jason headed a jam of previous students where we picked songs randomly out of the 365 book, it was great fun. They also head the Music Center Ukule-Alongs during summer, this year they had Sara Maisel as a guest. They also started the annual LA Uke Expo this year, including the effort to break the Guinness World Record uke group play-along, which needs a lot more people to show up next year. I bought a Gold Tone GT MicroBass from them last month.

What's cool about the place is that they focus on the Uke and they're young and enthusiastic! I've come to realize that So Cal has some of the best players and teachers outside Hawaii.

i've been looking at this spot as well, wanting to check it out as well.

yang chow... mmmmmmm slippery shrimp :p

Like the place but it is a pain to get to for many of us.

Hmmm...you should try getting there from Chicago. Great to see a place like this opening, to bad we won't ever see a place like this around here.

don't you mean King Taco? hehehe

Exactly, skip El Cholo and look for a King Taco instead.

Actually, best places to eat near U-Space are Sushigo 55, Sushi Gen, Daikokuya Ramen, Men Oh Tokushima Ramen, TOT/Teishokuya of Tokyo, Little Jewel of New Orleans in Chinatown, and not too far away, Mexicali Taco and Guisados Tacos.

El Cholo is the blandest food of any kind, IMO. You can do much better in Little Tokyo.

If either of those places are the rotating sushi bar, I love that place. Right across 2nd Street from the parking lot entrance that I use.

That's Kula Revolving Sushi, another good spot and the price is right, at $2.25 a plate.

That's Kula Revolving Sushi, another good spot and the price is right, at $2.25 a plate.

What they raised prices??? I used to go when it was only $2 plate!

Cheeso, you and I need to eat together as we like many of the same places!

Exactly, skip El Cholo and look for a King Taco instead.

Actually, best places to eat near U-Space are Sushigo 55, Sushi Gen, Daikokuya Ramen, Men Oh Tokushima Ramen, TOT/Teishokuya of Tokyo, Little Jewel of New Orleans in Chinatown, and not too far away, Mexicali Taco and Guisados Tacos.

El Cholo is the blandest food of any kind, IMO. You can do much better in Little Tokyo.

The sacrilege! As a USC alumni I spent many a day having nachos and margaritas there. Haha just kidding - though my mom did go there when she was pregnant with me and I was two weeks late. So I have been eating there my whole life. :)

Though the slippery shrimp at Yang Chow is indeed the bomb! Dry sautéed string beans too.

Sorry for the diversion in the thread. :)

Back on topic - I actually moved from Pasadena in part to South Bay hoping to take lessons from Jason Arimoto in Torrance (more like a fringe benefit of the move, not a reason) and now he teaches near my old house!

What they raised prices??? I used to go when it was only $2 plate!

Cheeso, you and I need to eat together as we like many of the same places!

Yeah, for sure! Maybe go to one of the jams at U-Space then get some grub!

The sacrilege! As a USC alumni I spent many a day having nachos and margaritas there. Haha just kidding - though my mom did go there when she was pregnant with me and I was two weeks late. So I have been eating there my whole life. :)

Though the slippery shrimp at Yang Chow is indeed the bomb! Dry sautéed string beans too.

Sorry for the diversion in the thread. :)

Back on topic - I actually moved from Pasadena in part to South Bay hoping to take lessons from Jason Arimoto in Torrance (more like a fringe benefit of the move, not a reason) and now he teaches near my old house!
Haha Sorry! They do have good margaritas. But I grew up on homemade Mexican food, so...you know how that goes.

Top Bottom