First BP ML Tenor

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Wanted to share the excitement with the substantial progress in the build of my first custom.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Looking good!

Thanks! Your build looks so fantastic with the sap wood on the back. That wasn't available at short notice so Jerry suggested a strip of maple on the back. My order was at short notice as I wanted to return to Australia with it after my vacation here in the USA.

It looks lovely! Love those fretboard markers.

Gorgeous. Bet I'd love a BP concert too....at some point my first one!

I picked up my ML tenor from Jerry's shop in April. It's an amazing instrument in terms of beauty, playability, and sound. Congrats on your beauty coming up!

P.S. I have an MP redwood/walnut tenor too. The figured walnut on the back of my instrument looks like the face of a hound dog!

Last edited:
Very nice. Must be exciting! I've heard good things about BP but never seen one in person. I like the looks of ML Concert they have posted on their web site.

Very nice. Must be exciting! I've heard good things about BP but never seen one in person. I like the looks of ML Concert they have posted on their web site.

I've played several BP ukes (soprano M style, concert 12-Fret, tenor Kayak, and a tenor ML). All were excellent sounding ukes. But the ML tenor with the big body is my favorite. Still I wonder about the those new D style BP ukes. ;)

Last edited:
Way Cool, congrats.

My 5-string ML Concert is an incredible instrument. Congratulations on getting a custom from Jerry before he quits building customs.
He recently told me no more custom orders once he clears his list. He's going to build whatever he likes and leave it at that.

I've played several BP ukes (soprano M style, concert 12-Fret, tenor Kayak, and a tenor ML). All were excellent sounding ukes. But the ML tenor with the big body is my favorite. Still I wonder about the those new D style BP ukes. ;)

Yes, very different, very Avantgarde.

I went with Steve P. once to Jerry's shop. It looks to be in the small town of Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show, only no Cybill Shepherd.

I wish Jerry's studio wasn't so far away for a travelling Aussie. I'd really love to visit and say thank you in person.

My 5-string ML Concert is an incredible instrument. Congratulations on getting a custom from Jerry before he quits building customs.
He recently told me no more custom orders once he clears his list. He's going to build whatever he likes and leave it at that.

I am truly fortunate then to have my dream instrument built. I'm not surprised though that Jerry said quits to dealing with us obsessed uke crazies (of course I only speak for myself). I really do greatly appreciate Jerry's patience in working through to the final design of my build with me. This will be an instrument that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

Given the not-so-humble ukes you've strummed, that's quite an endorsement. I'm with you on the new D style but really, really like the ML. I'd love to hear the concert version in person some day.

Congrats for sure. I didn't think any other uke sizes could make me stray from my favorite Baritone. Boy was I wrong. After receiving the beautiful ML tenor from Jerry earlier this year I routinely reach for it first and most often. It sounded great when I got it and just gets better with time. I know you'll enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Given the not-so-humble ukes you've strummed, that's quite an endorsement. I'm with you on the new D style but really, really like the ML. I'd love to hear the concert version in person some day.

I'm sure you'd like a Boat Paddle ML concert. While the ML tenor is my current favorite Boat Paddle uke, I really enjoy seeing all the new designs and innovations Jerry continually makes. He's recently come out with another new cutaway design, shown on his FB page.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Now back to more updates from Hollis.

Last edited:
What gorgeous instruments come out of the Boat Paddle Company's workshop.

No new news re my ML. I expect that the next photos will be the finished product. Can't wait to see the lacquer finish on the cocobolo.

Top Bottom