visiting Oahu: want to buy a uke

toque

Reaction score
We're going to be on Oahu for a week in Nov. We're toying with the idea of buying a good uke (solid wood, $500+) as a souvenir.

Good idea?? Or would it be better to buy a good uke back in Vancouver, BC? Are good ukes overpriced in Hawaii, or are there good deals to be had?

Thanks for reading.

toque

Go to Hawaiian Music Supply, great ukes at good prices, all set up. You can get a KoAloha Opio Concert for about $400, with a case, and a set up!

Shops in Waikiki will tend to be more expensive.

If you can, go to The Ukulele Site (aka Hawaiian Music Supply) in Haleiwa (North Shore of Oahu). It has a huge selection of ukuleles at competitive prices, and every ukulele is set up (checked for string height and for any nut and saddle issues). The staff is wonderful and helpful. Here's the website: http://www.theukulelesite.com/

In case you can't get to The Ukulele Site, there are other places to buy ukuleles on Oahu, including Ukulele Pua Pua in Waikiki (probably higher prices) and Dan's Guitars in Honolulu (seems to be competitive). The KoAloha factory in Honolulu sometimes has factory seconds (ukes that are structurally fine but may have very small cosmetic issues) at reduced prices.

The KoAloha factory in Honolulu sometimes has factory seconds (ukes that are structurally fine but may have very small cosmetic issues) at reduced prices.
This option is well worth the time and effort. You may even get a tour of the factory.

Also, if you buy ukulele at that price range, shipping i usually free. So you can just have it sent to your home so you won't have to worry about travelling with it. (I'm sure you already have enough luggage without an ukulele)

The best place to buy a ukulele on Oahu is Hawaii Music supply. I've been there twice and have left with well setup wonderful instruments at a fair price both times. Haleiwa is well worth the drive.

Top Bottom