can glue finish questions

little timber

Reaction score
Wondering, if you finish a uke body in ca glue, do you need to mask off an area for the bridge? Or do you just ca glue the bridge to the finish?
Ideas or experiences?

Trying to sand around masked off areas is always problematic due to the "hump" of the tape you'll encounter. I pore fill and finish everything and then go back and rout off the finish where the bridge and neck heel/fretboard extension attach. If you are scraping or using some other method of finish removal, make sure to get down to bare wood before gluing.
BTW, I would never use something as permanent as ca glue to attach the bridge. You want to use a glue that is removable in case that becomes necessary at some point.

Trying to sand around masked off areas is always problematic due to the "hump" of the tape you'll encounter. I pore fill and finish everything and then go back and rout off the finish where the bridge and neck heel/fretboard extension attach. If you are scraping or using some other method of finish removal, make sure to get down to bare wood before gluing.
BTW, I would never use something as permanent as ca glue to attach the bridge. You want to use a glue that is removable in case that becomes necessary at some point.

wow good stuff Chuck...I saw pictures of you routing the bridge area on one of your MBs after you did the finish....
makes a lot of sense....pretty sure you may one of the few that do it that way...I have seen many customs ukes being built....and all use blue tape over the bridge area while they are doing the finish...

pretty sure it takes more time to do like you but small details are why your ukes are so nice.....

thanks for the info....

wow good stuff Chuck...I saw pictures of you routing the bridge area on one of your MBs after you did the finish....
makes a lot of sense....pretty sure you may one of the few that do it that way...I have seen many customs ukes being built....and all use blue tape over the bridge area while they are doing the finish..pretty sure it takes more time to do like you but small details are why your ukes are so nice........

The procedure comes from Fred Vento who was the finish guy for James Goodall, a guitar builder who used to live in Kona. I wouldn't do it this way if it weren't quick and easy. It's only scary the first time you do it.

The procedure comes from Fred Vento who was the finish guy for James Goodall, a guitar builder who used to live in Kona. I wouldn't do it this way if it weren't quick and easy. It's only scary the first time you do it.

Funny story Chuck...When I visited Kona after visiting you, I went to a uke store (Just Ukes) in Kona to look around. The owner was raving about a local builder Vento who made awesome ukes. I told him I just visited a builder on the Hilo side the day before and showed him your website and he was floored at how beautiful your ukes looked and sounded on the youtube link!! You are famous around the world but not as famous in Kona! go figure?? :confused:

I use a 1/8 downward spiral carbide router bit .. It is easier than it might seem, fast and clean.

Top Bottom