KoAloha is moving!

Wow. That will make it a lot easier to visit than Kalihi since it is closer for tourists to Waikiki. It also puts them near Kamaka -- making tours to both possibly on the same day. Ooh, I can't wait to see the new location and to see the stuff for sale. :)

the rumor getting stronger that Kamaka will have to move to....Kakaako becoming the place for art and high priced condos....

This is great! I was at the factory in March and it was jam-packed with stuff. They need more space. Glad to see the current wave is still strong enough for growth!

KoAloha Factory Moving to (near) Ala Moana Shopping Center

Was reading the news today and saw this:
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...kulele-is-moving-into-a-new-factory-that.html

Look forward to the new convenient location within walking distance of Ala Moana. Great food options within walking distance from that location too!

After 20 years at its factory in Kalihi, KoAloha Ukulele is moving into a new, 4,000-square-foot factory space that it will share with Iolani Sportswear on Kona Street, its president, Alan Okami, said.
The company is moving because the area around its current factory is being redeveloped in about three years, so it decided to get ahead of the curve and move toward "the hub of Honolulu."
“Being closer to the hub of Honolulu and the new developments surrounding the Kakaako neighborhood is great, because now we will be within walking distance for many visitors who stay in the Waikiki area, as well as closer to a lot of local businesses," owner Paul Okami said.
The company has 15 employees and will move in January to 1234 Kona Street.
KoAloha produces about 500 ukuleles each month.
"Our major markets are in the far east like Korea and Japan," Alan Okami said. "Japan is our biggest market. New Zealand, Australia, you name the country."
The new facility will include a factory, showroom and a performance area. Alan Okami said that the sportswear company has secured a new contract that will reduce the amount of manufacturing that Iolani does at that particular plant. Iolani sportswear owner Lloyd Kawakami could not be reached for comment.​

I'm involved with a local waste hauling company there (Rolloffs Hawaii) that services that shopping center (which is massive, by the way). Maybe I'll ask the drivers to watch that trash bin extra carefully. ;-)

another way to get more Sun in Hawaii...
walk from Waikiki to HNL, and stop by Koaloha at Kaka'ako along the way.

Will anyone be setting up a shave ice stand to help cool us off?
Oh, there's one at the Ward Warehouse along the way :)

Thanks for the heads up.

keep uke'in',

Just goes to show you that one needs to read the post in full. On the "new posts" title page what showed up was "KoAloha Factory Moving to (near) Ala". Made me initially where in Alabama or in the South that KoAloha was coming....

I hope this means more ukuleles for sale onsite. When I was at the KoAloha factory in April 2011, there was only a small wall with a few factory seconds for sale.

Top Bottom