Whatayagonnado?

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
When I started to play music the trumpet was "in" -- Harry James, Louis Armstrong, and lots of others. Then, in the 50s, saxophones became very popular. Then, in the 60s, guitars were the rage, and they mostly stayed. And during all those years the ukulele was big then not big then not then big . . .

So, what are we all gonna do with our seventy 'leven unsalable Ukes? You think we'll just keep playing 'em? You think the clubs will dry up? People are pretty much like sheep. You think they'll keep plunkin' away if Ukes are no longer "in"? Will stores still sell and fix them? Will luthiers go back to making guitars?

Just food for thought. :eek:ld: Darn! My bad. The title to this is supposed to be Whatayagonnado? Catchy 'eh?

Last edited:
When I started to play music the trumpet was "in" -- Harry James, Louis Armstrong, and lots of others. Then, in the 50s, saxophones became very popular. Then, in the 60s, guitars were the rage, and they mostly stayed. And during all those years the ukulele was big then not big then not then big . . .

So, what are we all gonna do with our seventy 'leven unsalable Ukes? You think we'll just keep playing 'em? You think the clubs will dry up? People are pretty much like sheep. You think they'll keep plunkin' away if Ukes are no longer "in"? Will stores still sell and fix them? Will luthiers go back to making guitars?

Just food for thought. :eek:ld: Darn! My bad. The title to this is supposed to be Whatayagonnado? Catchy 'eh?

Never did try a horn, no matter if Herb Alpert or Kenny G was popular at the time. Didn't get with mandolin, tenor guitar or tenor banjo because they were "in" and marketable. Ukes came to my house out of curiosity, not because the "in crowd" had them.

If my musical instruments are unsellable, so what! I didn't get them as an inflation hedge or convertible asset. If none can ever be sold, It doesn't matter as they brought fun to me and have already been "cashed in."

As the old saying goes, It's not my problem. It's my future Executor's problem someday."

SteveZ, ya know, I worry about that all the time. What's my poor wife gonna do with all the instruments I have, when I kick off. Some of them are worth a lot but may be difficult to sell. It almost makes me wanna quit and sell 'em all now to help her out.

Plat a happy tune. :eek:ld:

SteveZ, ya know, I worry about that all the time. What's my poor wife gonna do with all the instruments I have, when I kick off. Some of them are worth a lot but may be difficult to sell. It almost makes me wanna quit and sell 'em all now to help her out.

Plat a happy tune. :eek:ld:

That's the easy part. Consider preparing an inventory with each instrument's wholesale value. Identify a music store which does consignment work and that's where they'll all go when you get called to gig that great hootenanny in the sky. Keep one laminate which gets interred with you (you never know!).

All kidding aside, the consignment music store option is the easiest one I've come up with.

I took up guitar in the 1965 because of the rock n roll craze, and I've kept them for 50 years, 5 at last count. So with my track record, I'll be 120 with the 6 ukes and 3 u-basses I have.

That's why we try and get our kids interested in ukes.

The future?

The fully electric uke to become more and more popular as a stage instrument. The acoustic uke confined to folk clubs.

Beyond that....virtual uke in full 3D !!??

Or...if we follow the 1960s into the 70's. - a Uke synthesiser called the keylele. ...Pass me the bucket Wilma I'm going to be sick

Last edited:
Well, hell, I play the recorder and have a set of those...

I think of good instruments and good books as investments, and not just just financial investments. I will pass my instruments down to my kids, so they will have to deal with my crazy crap just like I had to deal with my parents' crazy crap. Luckily, I kept some of my parents' stuff, so I have some treasured items that are priceless to me.

I have quite a few instruments, so the ukuleles are part of a big musical mashup that is incorporated all throughout our house.

Write your name in your books, write in the cover pages what they mean to you, and you might even want to put a little card in your instruments with the story of how they made their way into your family. That's what I plan to do.

The future?

The fully electric uke to become more and more popular as a stage instrument. The acoustic uke confined to folk clubs.

Beyond that....virtual uke in full 3D !!??

Or...if we follow the 1960s into the 70's. - a Uke synthesiser called the keylele. ...Pass me the bucket Wilma I'm going to be sick

Wilma: "Oh Fred, you're so old school !"

Hey, your talking to a guy who plays the bagpipe and musical saw, although not at the same time. Ukulele seems like a concert quality instrument to me! How could it ever go out of style?

Imnotgonnaworryboutit...

Look at it this way, once the hipsters move on to some other shiny thing, there might be a flood of used instruments on the market, just ripe for the picking!

I took up guitar when I was 12 yrs old because of Eddie Van Halen, and kept at it because of Andy Summers (The Police) and The Edge (U2), and other instruments along the way because a certain musician inspired me and I wanted a piece of what they were doing ...i.e., took voice lessons because of Sinatra, bought a trumpet and got lessons because of Chet Baker, both of which were a ton of work to even get mildly proficient, and found that I was more interested in writing music than trying to be a performer. I went on to study songwriters like the Gershwin Bothers, Jerome Kern, Rogers & Hart, etc as well as the orchestrations and arrangements from Benny Goodman, Johnny Mercer, Harry James, Nelson Riddle, et al, and came upon Bucky Pizzarelli, Chet Atkins, and others, which brought me back to guitar again.....

Since I have no kids yet , I hope my instruments would be passed down to my niece and nephew, and if not donated to some young children with lots of interest and/or talent but no money or access to a decent instrument.

I'm soon to be significantly thinning my large instrument collection save for my ukes and a few special guitars, in order to enable me to SIMPLIFY

- I will NOT part with my ukes, regardless what is on the radio. (in another life, I used to be a mobile DJ, and had to listen to about 20-30 hrs of pop radio per week at a minimum in order to remain a good DJ (you have to know all the music that 'the kids are listening to), and now listen mainly to the weekend programs on NPR only)

However, the study I have in mind for myself over the next umpteen years to be able to play like Aldrine, Jake, John King, James Hill, Tobias Elof, et al will keep up the interest enough for me. I have UU+ and also joined The Ukulele Way. After I complete all the offerings from those programs I will be looking for a teacher for one-on-one lessons to take me to the next level.

As far as the ukulele as an instrument, the future is here already, with the Blackbird Tenor uke, made of modern materials, and if you upgrade to the RMC pickups ($275), you get MIDI functionality, and then can further extend the tonality and textures that you can render beyond what a layer of strings, over a fretted neck, and then a vibrating sound box alone will give you.

Hook this MIDI-uke to your iPad or computer, and it will transcibe what you are playing in real-time, and give you notation and/or tabs, and sound like anything you want, all/each with the correct software.

I thought that by now, Godin would have made their MultiUke offering with this option, since they already have thier Multiac SA guitars that have these RMC pickups, but it seems that Blackbird is actually the first to offer MIDI capability with an acoustic ukulele.

I guess my point is that when you stop trying to 'be cool', and have the confidence to listen to your inner voice and just 'be yourself',and stop following (er CHASING) the trendy/SHINY-things with all the hipsters, you achieve a sense of FREEDOM, while others, who may not, are trapped like a rat in a maze, and cant find a way out.

I dont care if my clothes are out of fashion, they are comfortable and they 'fit' me. Same thing with the ukulele. I will always have and play several ukuleles, despite some yoppa-doppa on MTV with his underwear sticking out and 'mime-ing' his GuitarHero while his falsetto-N-beatz rise up the now-worthless-to-me music charts.

One of my long-time friends asked me what music I'm listening to, I told them about Appalachian Music with the Bowed Dulcimer, and about a vocal form from Portugal called 'Fado' done very nice by Ana Moura, and played them samples, and they just shook their head and walked away. Later I heard them tell someone that I will listening to Ozark mountain music, and 'French ballads' even though I did not speak the language. Further shock and horror.

I dont care any more. I listen to what makes me happy, not what I am aurally assaulted with on tv and radio.

We need bigger and more frequent Ukulele Festivals, like on the scale of Burning Man or the NFL SuperBowl, but at least 4-5 times per year, and that way all the other 'distractions' will fall even further into irrelevance.

I wanna build an Ark, load it with hundreds of like-minded musicians, and go on a never-ending world tour.

Who among my fellow UU brethren wants to come with me? :)

Last edited:

Now I'm really scared. I'll put mine up for sale this week. I'm keeping the pono's for as long as I can play however.

I like that idea! Good one....

Well, hell, I play the recorder and have a set of those...

I think of good instruments and good books as investments, and not just just financial investments. I will pass my instruments down to my kids, so they will have to deal with my crazy crap just like I had to deal with my parents' crazy crap. Luckily, I kept some of my parents' stuff, so I have some treasured items that are priceless to me.

I have quite a few instruments, so the ukuleles are part of a big musical mashup that is incorporated all throughout our house.

Write your name in your books, write in the cover pages what they mean to you, and you might even want to put a little card in your instruments with the story of how they made their way into your family. That's what I plan to do.

I wanna build an Ark, load it with hundreds of like-minded musicians, and go on a never-ending world tour.

Who among my fellow UU brethren wants to come with me? :)
Yep. Pick me up as you go by the land of Oz.

Well, it appears that you commenters are a lot looser than I am. I like to try to prevent bad things from happening, but maybe I'm just worrying too much. I'd hate for my wife to hafta go through a bunch of trouble though.

Well, que sera, sera. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom