Which Capo & why!

arpie

Reaction score
Hi guys

Every now & then, we play a song that is a bit low or high for our voice ranges - and I'd like to recommend to our Uke Group to get a Capo so that we can change the key to any of the songs ......

But the dilemma is WHICH ONE TO GET??

I know there are some inexpensive 'cloth/elastic' ones - I had one for my Guitar back in the 70s & it fell apart after a while.

Then I got one that looked like a horse shoe with a bar across it & it never buzzed .... haven't seen that one 'transferred' to uke yet tho!

Then there are the Shubb type ones that are spring loaded or you do up the little knob ......

Which one do YOU use & why do you think it is the better one to use??

Cheers

Roberta

Shubb L9 is the only one I have and it works great as I can adjust it for all the sizes

I've got a Shubb (looks like an L9 but it maybe an L5) that I bought for my banjo that fits my ukuleles, but I do find, with the narrower fret-spacing on the ukulele, that it rather gets in the way. Over the years I've bought/tried various style capos for my guitars, the old sprung-lever "full-clamp" style, Jim Dunlop's "webbing-wrap" style, an anonymous "elastic-with-holes-in" wrap and a Shubb ... they were all "OK to a degree", but I'd suggest that making a global recommendation to a group might be a recipe for disappointment.

One person's capo maybe another's pain in the wrist. Might it be possible, as a group, to have a local music shop loan out a selection (if such a choice exists) for everyone to try? Chances of a multiple sale may prove attractive to a retailer, especially if the "loan/demo" items were against a full refundable deposit.

This may be obvious, but presumably you have tried transposing the music to a different key and not been able to find a suitable set of "easy" chord-shapes to use?

Many thanks for the replies, guys - some top info there to consider, kypfer! I'd thought that a few of the designs looked like they could cause a bit of annoyance depending on your 'chord forming style' - because of the long handles & all ...... I will ask all my members to bring any that they have along to the next session so that we can try each others!! A couple have made their own 'elastic' ones!

I've researched different capo designs for banjos and mandolins on the net & found some that don't go around the back of the uke at all - or have minimal 'back stuff'!! Here are some of them - clever folk could have a go at making them up themselves?
Capo for ukulele.jpg

You could put a screw thingy on the top of this one & possibly make it work (without the back piece!) ......similar to the one further down .....
Capo Perfect Pitch.jpg

This is the one that I think I could 'try & make' with a narrower bottom piece ...... with a bit of luck :) You could have a flat bit of threaded aluminium on the bottom so the screw goes directly into it to form the pressure?
Screen shot 2014-09-19 at 8.13.36 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2014-09-19 at 8.13.58 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2014-09-19 at 8.14.05 PM.jpg

Our closest music store is 1/2hr away & most of our members buy their stuff from there ..... I was there last week & should have taken my camera & got some shots of the different ones available! Or - as you said, asked for some 'loaners' which I am sure they would have done! DUH!

cheers & thanks

Roberta

Last edited:
My first capo was made from a length of BIC pen and a wide rubber band that you find around stalks of broccoli. It worked wonderfully. I got pretty good at attaching it. But when I got my Koaloha I didn't want it to look ghetto and bought the one I reco'd above.

There are plenty of "how-to" vids on Youtube like this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A38xZuy9NaM

......when I got my Koaloha I didn't want it to look ghetto ....

LOL So Koaloha made you into a Uke snob!! (only kidding in a funny way!!) I can understand that!! :D

Good idea with the Bic Pen case too! :)

Re transposing (mentioned in earlier post) it makes some of the trickier chords come into play ..... and my group is mainly retirees who don't like tricky chords!

cheers

Roberta

My son uses a bic lighter and rubber band but he doesn't mind looking ghetto. I love the G7th performance capos. Clamp on quick with easily adjustable pressure, one hand control, easy off too. Check out their reviews, don't think there's any negatives except the price. I think all capos get in the way a bit, esp. If you play first position chords and I usually prefer to transpose, but in a pinch, this really is a nice capo.

Top Bottom