NUD x2 (part 1) Thanks Sam!

bassballz

Reaction score
On a recent family trip to the Big Island I wandered upcountry from Kona to visit Sam Rosen's ukulele gallery in Holualoa. I must have sat and chatted with Sam (he's a great guy BTW) for at least two hours while strumming everything he had on the walls. He only carries small-volume local luthiers...no Kamaka or KoAloha here. Some sounded really sweet, others did not tickle me. I kept gravitating back to a soprano made by Leo K. It just had the sweetest chime and great projection to it. It is all Koa, ebony bridge and fingerboard, birdseye maple rosette, and an attractive tiger-flame on the headstock and back. I couldn't resist and ended up walking out with it.
DSCN0344.jpg

I urge you to visit Sam if on the Big Island. His gallery occupies an old post office in the center of Holualoa. Don't blink or you'll blow right by.
Cheers.

That's a very handsome little cutie...........with a sweet chime? I can see why you walked out with it. Congrats on what sounds like a wonderful, memorable, buying experience.

Thanks! And on a side note, Sam runs a uke building class at his shop. If you ever get 3 weeks or more there on the island, he gives access to whatever materials and design you can dream up, and will work with you to build your own custom one-off under his guidance. (Yes, he is a uke-builder also). Hmmmm...three weeks on Hawaii? I could deal with that!

Top Bottom