Things You "Should" Know

Brad Bordessa

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, one of my students requested I put together a list of things to practice/what skills make up each 'ukulele playing level. He thought this timeline of skills would be helpful for him to visualize what he needed to practice and check off the list.

It was a fun challenge for me to put together some skills and categorize them. I'm sure I missed a lot, but it seemed like the kind of thing that might be interesting/fun for UU peeps to help add to or just look at.

My groups are probably very idealistic - sort of the top edge of each level. Since it's on paper, I dreamed up things that I would want a "perfect" beginning student to know before showing up to an intermediate class.

Before anyone feels depressed or rips on me for imposing "rules" upon what they should know, please realize that I'm aware of a few things:

1. This is just a curiosity project
2. Learning is not a linear thing. Everyone approaches things differently, has strong suits and weak points, and takes their own time.
3. In real life there aren't any lines dividing levels or achievements. It's not bad to be considered "this" or "that."
4. One does not have to know or master everything on this list to be considered at the next level. I certainly don't claim to know it all perfectly.
5. Most importantly, music is not a competition.

Like I said, feel free to add your input. I'd love to make this a comprehensive resource for curious minds. I'll try to edit the original post to reflect updates.

UPDATED LIST (OCT 4):

I (Pre-Novice):

Knowledge:
The names of the strings
Simple 'ukulele terminology to aid learning (fret, up/down the neck, left/right hand, etc...)
C F and G7 chords (or similar)
Motor Skills:
Basic right hand motion to produce sound from instrument (downstrum and/or thumb pick)
Finger movement of the left hand to hold a simple chord
How to hold a chord and strum at the same time
How begin moving the fingers to new chord shapes while strumming
Musical Skills:
Be able to strum a simple song

II (Novice):

Knowledge:
Common chords in easy 'ukulele keys: C, F, and G7; G, C, and D7; F, Bb, and C7
Some basic music terminology like: key, chord, note, timing, rhythm, etc...
Motor Skills:
Chalangalang down, up strum
Moving fingers to achieve picked melodies.
How to strum and change through simple chords
Musical Skills:
How to stay on (or re-find) a basic beat when playing along with a group
Theory:
Chromatic scale

III (Beg 1):

Knowledge:
Proper posture and how to implement it
Basic chords in most keys: C, G, F, D, A, Bb, E
Simple picking exercises and melodies
Motor Skills:
Down, Up and Down, Down, Up, Up, Down strumming patterns
Begin playing chords just by feel, no looking
Musical Skills:
How to strum relatively in time when playing simple songs alone
Play a song from memory
Begin to hear when a chord change happens
Theory:
A better understanding of the chromatic scale, sharps/flats, enharmonics

IV (Beg 2):

Knowledge:
Open position Major, Minor, and 7th chords in all 12 keys
The C major/A minor scale in its basic position
What the notes are called up to the 3rd fret
Motor Skills:
Introducing the index finger to picking
How to add a "chop" or "chunk" to a strum
Musical Skills:
How to convey extremes in dynamics (loud, soft)
Hold confident timing (no rushing!) when playing alone
Play 2 or 3 songs from memory
Begin experimenting with improvising
Theory:
How a scale is created

V (Inter 1):

Knowledge:
How to transpose a basic song into any key
Some jazz chord shapes (6ths, minor 7ths, 9ths)
What the notes are called up to the 5th fret
Basic scales in 'ukulele-friendly keys: C, F, G, D, A, etc...
Motor Skills:
More exotic strum patterns like a reggae strum, country strum, hula strum...
How to integrate the thumb and index finger for picking string patterns
Musical Skills:
How to play with a metronome when strumming and for simple instances of playing lead
5 songs from memory (1-2 with picking)
How to play in simple odd time signatures like ¾ and 6/8
Learning start and stop notes for improv
Theory:
How a chord is created
Intervals

VI (Inter 2):

Knowledge:
All main major, minor, and 7th chord shapes up and down the fretboard
Simple open position jazz chords in 12 keys
All major scales in a simple position (relative minors too!)
What the notes are called up to the 7th fret
Motor Skills:
Basic picking articulations such as hammer-on, pull-off, and slide
Making what you already play more efficient/clean
Musical Skills:
How to recognize I, IV, and V chords in a progression
How to play triplet groupings
10 songs from memory
Beginning to solo in all keys
Theory:
Chord scales, how they are made, and create keys

VII (Adv 1):

Knowledge:
What the notes are called up to the 10th fret
All 6th, minor 7th, 9th, major 7th chords up and down the fretboard
Open positions for almost any other chord
All major and minor scales across the fretboard
Motor Skills:
Incorporating vibrato, hammer-ons, pull-offs, or slides into any lead
Musical Skills:
Play any song with a metronome
Enough songs to fill an hour set
How to accompany almost any song with confident strumming or picking
Incorporating ideas and energy in solos
Theory:
Modes
Memorizing key signatures

VIII (Adv 2):

Knowledge:
All notes across the fretboard
All scales across the fretboard
All chords across the fretboard
Musical Skills:
Figure almost any song out by ear on the fly
Close-to-perfect timing
How to play MUSIC: when to play, when not to play, feels, listening, what to play, what not to play, etc, etc, etc...

Expert:

All of the above, flawlessly

OLD LIST:

These things are in no particular order. Think of each item as being preceded by “should know.”

Novice:

Basic/common chords: C, F, G7, Am, D7, G, etc...
Chalangalang down, up strum
How to follow along in a simple jam song
How to stop, find the beat, and recover when lost in a simple song

Beginner:

Open position Major, Minor, and 7th chords in all 12 keys
The C major/A minor scale
What the notes are called up to the 3rd fret
Down, Up and Down, Down, Up, Up, Down strumming patterns
Proper posture
How to convey extremes in dynamics (loud, soft)
How to keep time to/with a metronome for simple strumming songs
At least 3 songs from memory

Intermediate:

All main major, minor, and 7th chord shapes up and down the fretboard
All major scales in a simple position (relative minors too!)
More exotic strum patterns like a reggae strum, country strum, hula strum...
How to play with a metronome when strumming and for simple instances of playing lead
At least 10 songs from memory (some picking parts)
How to transpose a basic song into any key
Some jazz chord shapes (6ths, minor 7ths, 9ths)
A few picking patterns
What the notes are called up to the 7th fret
How to recognize I, IV, and V chords in a progression
How to play in simple odd time signatures like ¾ and 6/8
Triplet groupings
Chord scales and how they are made
Basic articulation movements such as hammer-on, pull-off, and slide

Advanced:

All 6th, minor 7th, 9th, major 7th chords up and down the fretboard
Open positions for almost any other chord
All major and minor scales across the fretboard
Where every note is on the fretboard
How to play with perfect timing
How to figure almost any song out by ear
Enough songs to fill an hour set
How to accompany almost any song with strumming or picking
How to incorporate vibrato, hammer-ons, pull-offs, or slides into any lead

Expert:

All of the above, perfectly

Last edited:
After reading that list, I may go back to the banjo.

Novice: I think I'll spend 50 bucks on a uke. It arrives. How the hell am I going to ever figure this out. Ouch. That hurts.
Beginner: Damn! I know C, F and G and Am. Not bad. I can kinda play a few songs.
Intermediate: Please let me learn to barre this. I HATE you E chord!!!
Advanced: Sure. What key do you want to play it in?
Expert: Jake. And a bunch more I won't mention because I know I'll forget some.

I can appreciate this project because I am teaching my first student. Like the old saying goes, "You can't manage (or teach) what you can't measure." At least this is a start along with using Uncle Rod's Self-Efficiency 'Uke Evaluation.
Thanks

It looks well thought out. Some people need structure, and they are generally the ones who go to an instructor to get it. I think it is a good measure and it will give your students a way to gauge their progress.

You know, I'd almost want it broken up into more levels (for example, Intermediate IV). I think it's a great breakdown as it is, and I can't argue with a single thing regarding the content, but some of those longer lists are awfully intimidating. I mean, it looks like you could work on some of those levels for years before you proceed to the next - more interim levels means more milestones, which might give a better sense of advancement during those long time stretches.

Even many martial arts belts are typically broken up into a multitude of sublevels. You aren't just a purple belt. You're a purple belt with two stripes. :)

Anyway, just an observation.

Good thing I don't take these kinds of threads seriously. I'll stick to what I do and let others decided what level they are at.

That's way too intense. Different people do different things at different stages. I suspect a lot of professionals can't do everything at your intermediate level. Some of what you are listing there is music theory and not particular to the ukulele. Someone with a music background might know the fretboard or how to form many chords from theory. I think ukemungas list pretty much captures how I see it. But seriously, I just want to play I don't want to be graded.

what's interesting is how someone rates their own skill without false modesty.

I'll start. I always rated myself as an intermediate by my own standards since I can play songs but don't know chord names.

Last edited:
Is there something lower than novice? I'm feeling very intimidated by that list.

Sorry if the list came across as too intense. Please know that I'm not trying to make anyone feel inferior/judged. That is absolutely not the intent. I'm a teacher. I know how slow the learning process is, still being a part of it, working every day (well, most days) to improve my own playing in every aspect on the list. That's part of why it's an interesting concept to me. Now that it's been pointed out I see many things to improve and change.

That said, I was trying to avoid having an end product that was be a mile long with little things like:

Memorize where the 1st fret, C string C# is
Learn to strum four bars of F and then four bars of Bb
Etc...

Methinks I'll revisit my list and shift some things around so the "goals" feel a little more manageable and not so scary. The martial arts model is a great idea! I've just got to figure out how to implement it. Until then, don't mind me...

Last edited:
I thought your original list was spot on. I wouldn't change it because three people felt intimidated by it. You qualified your intentions from the start so I think you got it right. Anyway, I appreciated it.

Sorry if the list came across as too intense. Please know that I'm not trying to make anyone feel inferior/judged. That is absolutely not the intent. I'm a teacher. I know how slow the learning process is, still being a part of it, working every day (well, most days) to improve my own playing in every aspect on the list. That's part of why it's an interesting concept to me. Now that it's been pointed out I see many things to improve and change.

That said, I was trying to avoid having an end product that was be a mile long with little things like:

Memorize where the 1st fret, C string C# is
Learn to strum four bars of F and then four bars of Bb
Etc...

Methinks I'll revisit my list and shift some things around so the "goals" feel a little more manageable and not so scary. The martial arts model is a great idea! I've just got to figure out how to implement it. Until then, don't mind me...
I like that martial arts angle too. You could actually reward them with belts. Black Belt in Ukulele. You know, I looked at that list and thought, that just doesn't work for me. But that is me. I mean, I'm all about being self taught, no rules, yadda yadda yadda. But you aren't doing it for me, you are doing it for your students. Maybe it needs some tweaking, but I can see where your students might like to see where they are at and where they need to go. The thing is, you are the teacher, and you should decide where you want them to be at certain stages of their instruction, so I think that you need to take your expectations into account as well. Remember, this is a gauge of your teaching as well, and if your students are not reaching your expectations, it could very well reflect on you and your teaching. One other thing to remember is that it is important to have realistic goals for your students. If your expectations are not attainable, you set your students up for failure. You have to ask yourself, are these expectations reasonable for all my students, or does it target my over achievers and leaves the rest behind. Just a few thoughts.

Those of us who are late learners work under a different paradigm. For me, that means that the time I spend on learning to play my ukulele must balance pleasure with practice. The first thing I discovered about ukulele is that it made me feel better. I commonly run on low-level depression and the ukulele lifts me from that. I work to get better, but I hope never to become so burdened by technique that I forget to play. I take lessons from a gifted teacher. One golden hallmark for me is that I ALWAYS feel better and more intentional about my playing after a lesson than I did in the week leading up to it. Strums, finger style, 2nd and 3rd position chords, chord melody, &c, are all on the menu. Always in an organic way that leads eventually to music. As far as my skill building goes, it takes the time it takes. I figure I have a couple of decades left to play. But if I get hit by a car tomorrow I don't want my last thought to be, "Dammit, I never learned all the notes on the fretboard." I'd rather it be that I'm humming the latest song I'm learning.

I like that you put this list together, so thanks. And I don't have a problem with the "intensity". For me it's just a shopping list of skills- I can do these things at that level but not these others. Maybe (or maybe not) I'll use that to guide my practice program.

Hey Brad,

You're music is awsome and I just bought your Chord Book by clicking on your link in your signature. It looks very good and easy to understand. Keep sharing your love for the ukulele with us!

Hey Brad,

You're music is awsome and I just bought your Chord Book by clicking on your link in your signature. It looks very good and easy to understand. Keep sharing your love for the ukulele with us!
yea, it looks good,I'm gonna get one too.

Top Bottom