Tuning

I've used that (Bb tuning) on a tenor. SouthCoast has the strings for that. Depending on the setup, I've found higher tension FC strings can be tuned down that low with OK results. You might get some fret buzz if you have a low setup.

Oasis have worked for me.

Last edited:
You didn't really mean a high B string did you? That would be pretty odd.

I assume you meant F Bb D G which would be Bb tuning as Hodge said. That's my only tenor reentrant tuning. Southcoast is good for it. I also had a pHd set slacked down that worked fine.

If you wanted to do linear Bb, a baritone would be better. Soutcoast is probably the best bet there as well though I haven't tried it.

This tuning is called Slack tuning in Louisiana. Cajun Fiddlers tuned their fiddles down a tone to overcome high humidity problems. Add some Cajun songs to your repertoire and you will fit right in when you see someone playing a C accordion.

I do....I love the richer warmer tone and less tension..plus it's easier to sing too... in fact I use alot of different tunings
even... F#, B, D#, G# or two half steps lower..... PS it depends on the ukes voice and what you want to compensate or acheive

Last edited:
I have a concert tuned F Bb D G. I like the more mellow tone I get and the lower tension is an added bonus.

I have standard Living Water strings and the tune down just fine. I also have a tenor tuned down a further semitone - E A C# F#. Same arguments apply and it also has standard Living Water strings.

I have a tenor currently tuned with linear Bb. I rather like the timbre and range, particularly for songs in F, as often fits my singing better than G. I could use a baritone instead, with or without a capo, but the Bb tenor is handy, especially early in the day, when my voice is lower—I don't have to change how I play a song, or strain, or capo. And the key of F is more satisfying in Bb or G linear tuning, due to the low tonic.

As for whether a baritone would be better for Bb, the thing is that it would sound like a baritone, not a tenor. I love baritones, but not for everything.

This tuning is called Slack tuning in Louisiana. Cajun Fiddlers tuned their fiddles down a tone to overcome high humidity problems. Add some Cajun songs to your repertoire and you will fit right in when you see someone playing a C accordion.
?? Do Cajuns slack-tune their accordions, too? :D And wouldn't a slack-tuned fiddle still be tuned in perfect fifths, rather than anything resembling this tuning (F Bb D G)? Have I misunderstood? Maybe the songs often go down to low F (or Bb), necessitating the lower tuning for ukes?

DIGRESSION:
One thing I'm definitely confused about is what someone means when they say "taropatch", since I've heard it used to describe both reentrant and linear G tuning on tenor ukes and open C tuning (vs. C6) on anything. Now I just wait till they spell out what they mean like Lewis Carroll's caterpillar, rather than trying to second-guess them.

Many cajun fiddlers use the traditional slack tuning. Dewey Balfa was a friend of mine. He did. His daughter Christine is maintaining the Balfa Brother tradition. She is worth listening to.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPYYBS4dHQo

The Cajun Accordion aka German Accordion is a diatonic instrument which is capable of playing in approximately 4 Keys, (4 positions). The accordion player in the video has two accordions. One is doubtless a D the other a C. F accordions are made but only have 41 reeds rather than the usual 48. The 4 knobs on the right side of the accordion each control a rank of chords. So that the cajun accordian has one fourth of the usual number of notes. Again this is a response to the High humidity in LA. When one reed goes bad you still have three more sets of each note. The knobs control the pitch of each rank of reeds. If memory serves they can be adjusted by about 25 cents.
My first cajun accordion was an inexpensive C Hohner. I didn't know if I would take to the instrument. And I got the C because it was traditional. Mark Savoy made my second accordion for me. It is a D because most fiddlers in my circles don't don't like to play in C. The last person I played with who had his fiddle slack tuned was Keith Grimwood the bass player in Trout Fishing in America, two weeks ago. We had a great time and we both have horrible Cajun accents.

Top Bottom