Reentrant tuning?

IamNoMan

Reaction score
A reentrant tuning is a tuning of a stringed instrument where the strings (or more properly the courses on coursed instruments) are not ordered from the lowest pitch to the highest pitch (or vice versa).

A break in an otherwise ascending (or descending) order of string pitches is known as a reentry. Most common reentrant tunings have only one reentry. In the case of the soprano ukulele, for example, the reentry is between the third and fourth strings, while in the case of the Venezuelan cuatro it is between the first and second strings.
wikipedia

OK, I know what it is now but how can I use this feature of the Ukulele as I progress in learning the instrument?

It is part of the uke's personality, but I do not consider to be a challenge to play within but a feature for my use.

The banjo is reenterently tuned as well. The advantage there is to provide a drone for effect and to enhance the rhythm.
The guitar is not reentrantly tune but using dead thumb technique to play bass and treble at the same time or play counter melodies simultaneously. Dixie and Yankee Doodle for one.
The uke is reenterently tuned so dead thumb would let you play Dixie and Yankee Doodle at the same time but not base and treble.

I do not fool myself into believing I will be able to play two tunes at once. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. But if there are other effects or uses for the reentrant tuning I can work towards utilizing them on the uke.

Top Bottom