Season 138 - It's time for storytime!

cua94

Reaction score

Challenge

Play a song on your ukulele that can be used in a preschool storytime.
Consider whether the children will be listening, playing rhythm instruments, doing motions, or dancing with scarves. (among other things).
Please give a link to the chords and lyrics or list them in your post. 

Rules

1. Your entry must be a video produced this week for this contest. In your video, indicate somehow that your performance is for the 138th Season of the Ukulele.

2. You must play ukulele in your video.

3. Multi-tracking is discouraged unless it is to illustrate your motions.

4. Post your video entry in this thread no sooner than Sunday, October 5th, at 12:00am (Hawaii time) and no later than the following Sunday, October 11th, at 12:00am (Hawaii time).

5. You may submit three (I said 4 in the vid but I reconsidered) entries. There will be three winners: one will be the song I will play on my uke in storytime, one will be for the song I will play on youtube for the kids to enjoy (with dancing or motions),and one will be drawn out of a hat.

I will try to figure out how to make my YT comments appear here but if I can't I will just put them on the forum.

Here are some examples of storytime songs I have used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWnYdqYzEE
http://missmaryliberry.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/ukulele-in-storytime-bingo/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RI__sfDHfs

Prizes – prizes will be a storytime magnet.

Playlist-easy songs with chords
Playlist 2 - songs to listen to

Bonus Songs

Last edited:
Very cool. You may get a separate Puff The Magic Dragon playlist. This will be fun!

Nice one Liz. This should be fun:)

Already have a few ideas for this X3. This is gonna be a nice fun season to jump on after being sick the last few weeks. :)

Hmmm ...after a lifetime (well ...so far so long ) strenuously avoiding small and sticky human beings of the childer persuasion this Season is full of traps and pitfalls for me.

I am one of those curmudgeonly adults who follows the instructions "Keep Away From Children" on the side of paint tins as a life mantra.

Show me a puppy ,kitten or tiger/lion any big cat cub and I am as soft and squidgy as a jam doughnut. About as round as well. Ah well........tricky one.....

It just so happens that I recorded this last night as I was babysitting the grandkiddiewinkles.
Not sure if it counts but we had great fun making it. You will notice my grandaughter told me off for singing "hang" when I had written down "hung" as the lyrics. Silly grandad.

This is not quite the same as our version but its close enough.
C C7
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
F C
you make me happy when skies are gray
F C
you'll never know, dear, how much I love you
G7 C – F - C
please don't take my sunshine away

C C7
the other night, dear, as I lay sleeping
F C C7
I dreamed I held you in my arms
F C
when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
G7 C - F - C
and I hung my head and cried

C C7
F C C7
you make me happy when skies are grey
F C
G7 C - F - C
please don't take my sunshine a way

C C7
you once told me you really loved me
F C C7
and no one else could come between
F C
but now you've left me to love another
G7 C - F - C
and you've shattered all of my dreams

C C7
F C C7
you make me happy when skies are grey
F C
G7 C
please don't take my sunshine a way
G7 C – F - C
please don't take my sunshine away

Last edited:
My son loved The Wiggles when he was little. The original crew. I've actually seen them in concert twice. There's a lot of material there alone.

Not a Wiggles tune but kudos to whomever does The Duck Song!

Yes, 5 and under is the age group. A little hint. Kids don't just sit and listen to songs very well. Let me know what you invision the kids doing while the song plays. Hand motions or dancing with scarves or acting like an animal etc.

Thanks

I think I'll only be doing one entry again this week as it's going to be hectic, and I won't be around when the season ends or for a week or two after... so here we go, it's "The Fox". Old folk song. VERY old, apparently... perhaps the children could mime actions as the story unfolds..... ?
Funnily enough, on a mad whim, this tunic dress appealed to the mad side of me a couple of days ago and I couldn't resist! What a coincidence!

lesley that was great! and i LOVE the dress!

this is not an entry (it's not a new vid), i'm just saying, thinking of the fox here, that the modern song the fox (what does the fox say) is super fab for kids, it's really easy to play (i used Bm A E E for my take below) but the singing is another matter, lots of words, not much space to suck in air in between, and crazy animal sounds but crazy animal sounds is just the ticket for kids, i'll post a link here to my old vid, i did this just for kicks back in december, i'd heard the song for the first time and just could not get it out of my brain, i tried to uke it out of my system (be warned, it doesn't go, it just stays in your head even more!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgEoU12Bq9s

Nice one Liz, this week really will be a challenge for me as I have a 'kid allergy' .......they make strange noises, have bad habits and smell .......yuk.....but I will make the effort for one season only !! Lol

Last edited:
Last edited:
Top Bottom