'The KoAloha Ukulele Story' wins Film Fest's Golden Kahuna Award

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
koaloha20film20photos.jpg

The KoAloha Ukulele Story, an animated documentary short film based on the life of Alvin Okami, has won the 2009 Honolulu International Film Festival's prestigious Gold Kahuna Award for Excellence in Filmmaking.

More at the link.

Nice seeso, all the more glad I have my KoAloha soprano coming in tomorrow. By the way do they have the film uploaded to the internet for viewing yet? Love to know a little more about the guys who made my uke =)

What a tease. I want to see this film and the Kamaka documentary "Heartstrings" as well. Haha, I'm so used to everything I want to see being on Hulu or YouTube now.

without giving away too much...

you should see the invites for the screening.

edit: wait. i havent even seen it yet.

Last edited:
Thanks ukulele underground for the KoAloha Ukulele Story Shout Out!

Mahalo everyone for posting the news of our award!

It means a lot to have support from folk here in the ukulele underground and in the ukulele community world wide.

My name is Gary San Angel and I'm the director and producer of "The KoAloha Ukulele Story". I've been a singer/song writer for a while and an aspiring ukulele player and long time documentary filmmaker so it has meant the world for me to see this little film that we created in our Philly backyard on old beaten down pc computers garnish a bit of attention. I'd like to think we are the little uke- version of "Rocky."

I've had the good fortune and blessing to be able to start an on-going oral history documentary project with Alvin Okami and KoAloha Ukulele. "The KoAloha Ukulele Story" is a short animated documentary film about Alvin Okami when he first started KoAloha. But it is more than that to me, it really is an amazing story of hope, perseverance, a little divine intervention if you will, and an amazing amount of passion and love.

Our little film is like the little engine that could. Super low budget. Film footage lost. It almost never happened. And perhaps, through a little divine intervention, it still happened. With the fortunate artistic brush of Rocky Kev, the visual images were created to tell a simple story powerfully winning the hearts of both uke fans and folks who have no idea what an ukulele is. It really is a nice little gem that I hope you all can see.

We've submitted this film to a few festivals and are still waiting to hear from them before we widely distribute the film across the web. Once we hear from them we hope to work with KoAloha to get the movie and DVD out there.

It's definitely something that both me, Rocky and everyone from KoAloha want to make sure that we can get as many people to see.

So for now stay tuned! Get the buzz out there! We definitely want to bring this film to as many cities as we can!

Thanks for the warm Aloha! On behalf of the filmmakers we thank you and hope you can catch the film at a film fest near you!

Kind regards,

Gary

Last edited:
Gary, Aldrine and I were on Oahu this past weekend. We stopped by KoAloha and we were fortunate enough to get a copy of the movie. It's really something special. It's so simple in its execution but the story is so warm and heartfelt and its told with such emotion by Alvin. It's really a must see for everyone here on this website.

Gary, Aldrine and I were on Oahu this past weekend. We stopped by KoAloha and we were fortunate enough to get a copy of the movie. It's really something special. It's so simple in its execution but the story is so warm and heartfelt and its told with such emotion by Alvin. It's really a must see for everyone here on this website.

i heard about his film in hawaii.. i am hope to be able to see it very soon! well whenever they put it out!! i will buy a copy that is for sure! at the moment i am on lunch.. sitting at my desk with my koaloha concert in hand..

d

If there's anything I can do to get this film screened in Chicago, let me know. Is there a Facebook page or group for it?

Welcome, Gary! I would really love to see this film. Our local International Film Festival ended in February and I didn't see it on the schedule guide. I will email them and see if they can get it for next year's festival. :D

Wow! Thanks all for your help!

Thank you, thank you everyone!

All your suggestions are most helpful. Keep them coming!

Mahalo rayan! That's awesome, I'm so glad you liked it and got what we were trying to do. Really, it's a simple story, done simply with a lot of heart, and to my knowledge I don't know anyone who has created an animated ukulele film. If you all know of one I'd love to see it. We really love the way Alvin Okami is drawn out and really hope to have a small series of these.

He'll be like a animated ukulele hero! :)

Hopefully you've submitted to the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Film Festival because I'm really dying see your film. Ukuleles and cartoons is all win as far as my film needs are concerned. (And I love my Koaloha.)

Love Minneapolis Lanark!! Thanks for your recommendation. Will try to get that submitted to them.

HTML:
i will buy a copy that is for sure!

I've made a few batches of DVDs for KoAloha. Rayan can attest that it even has special features! :) With Alvin Okami playing and singing extras. I hope to talk to his son Alan Okami about soon selling them at the shop and site so stay tuned!

HTML:
If there's anything I can do to get this film screened in Chicago, let me know. Is there a Facebook page or group for it?

Hey seeso, I'm waiting to hear if we get into the music film festival in Chicago. I'll let you know. The FB suggestion is a good one, I'm new to FB so I thought you can only do yourself not projects or groups, may be a good idea. Maybe you can help a nube like me out figure out how to set that up. :D

HTML:
Welcome, Gary! I would really love to see this film. Our local International Film Festival ended in February and I didn't see it on the schedule guide. I will email them and see if they can get it for next year's festival.

Awesome Khrome! PM me about that and let me know if there's someone at the festival that I can talk to about having it for next year.

Will post pics after the KoAloha screening and performance event at the Arts at Marks Garage on the KoAloha blog and news and updates page so stay tuned!

Warm Regards,

Gary

Gary,

You can create a page or a group on Facebook. To create a page, you have to be the official representative of the person or organization of the page you're creating. A group can be created by anyone.

I would suggest that you create a page for your film company, and a group for the film itself.

Create a page here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php

Create a group here:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/create.php

Stuff like this helps to get the word out. It certainly doesn't hurt. If you need anymore help, let me know. Good luck, and I hope to see the film here at the Music Film Festival.

Once you get that stuff done, be sure to invite me. My full name is Narciso Lobo.

Mahalo everyone for posting the news of our award!

It means a lot to have support from folk here in the ukulele underground and in the ukulele community world wide.

My name is Gary San Angel and I'm the director and producer of "The KoAloha Ukulele Story". I've been a singer/song writer for a while and an aspiring ukulele player and long time documentary filmmaker so it has meant the world for me to see this little film that we created in our Philly backyard on old beaten down pc computers garnish a bit of attention. I'd like to think we are the little uke- version of "Rocky."

I've had the good fortune and blessing to be able to start an on-going oral history documentary project with Alvin Okami and KoAloha Ukulele. "The KoAloha Ukulele Story" is a short animated documentary film about Alvin Okami when he first started KoAloha. But it is more than that to me, it really is an amazing story of hope, perseverance, a little divine intervention if you will, and an amazing amount of passion and love.

Our little film is like the little engine that could. Super low budget. Film footage lost. It almost never happened. And perhaps, through a little divine intervention, it still happened. With the fortunate artistic brush of Rocky Kev, the visual images were created to tell a simple story powerfully winning the hearts of both uke fans and folks who have no idea what an ukulele is. It really is a nice little gem that I hope you all can see.

We've submitted this film to a few festivals and are still waiting to hear from them before we widely distribute the film across the web. Once we hear from them we hope to work with KoAloha to get the movie and DVD out there.

It's definitely something that both me, Rocky and everyone from KoAloha want to make sure that we can get as many people to see.

So for now stay tuned! Get the buzz out there! We definitely want to bring this film to as many cities as we can!

Thanks for the warm Aloha! On behalf of the filmmakers we thank you and hope you can catch the film at a film fest near you!

Kind regards,

Gary

correct me if im wrong, because i have a bad memory, but are you the guy that was filming on my first day?

Hey "Kaneohe til the end" that's right!

I got you to talk story a little bit about it being your first day working at KoAloha and they got you working on the engraving machine if I remember correctly. I hope you get to help out at the event. I'll see you and the guys this Friday at the shop. We're gonna be running around getting everything together. Remember you said you were gonna break out with your uke and share a couple songs. Gonna hold you to it! :D

-G

Hey "Kaneohe til the end" that's right!

I got you to talk story a little bit about it being your first day working at KoAloha and they got you working on the engraving machine if I remember correctly. I hope you get to help out at the event. I'll see you and the guys this Friday at the shop. We're gonna be running around getting everything together. Remember you said you were gonna break out with your uke and share a couple songs. Gonna hold you to it! :D

-G

whoa whoa whoa, i am nowhere near good enough to perform in front of the camera. im pretty sure ill be there. see you friday then!

Top Bottom