PDA

View Full Version : bridge size

little timber
10-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Since it seems to be a shortcoming of mine, would I be able to get your input on the size of this bridge blank? Its not shaped or anywhere near finished. Once done it will be a string through style bride. Let me know your thoughts

resoman
10-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Check out Dr. David Hurd's website ukuleles.com and look for the page that talks about bridge size.
The whole website is very informative.
Nice looking instrument!

Allen
10-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Somewhat depends on a few factors like bridge patch and bracing and if you plan on having wings on it, or just a simple small footprint block, but for string through ones I try and scale them appropriate to the size of the instrument. On a soprano I use 60mm wide and 20mm deep in the block shape. Height is dependant on the neck angle, fret board thickness etc. so you have to build to suite. On concerts they will be 90mm wide with wings.

Sven
10-05-2014, 09:53 PM
The instrument looks beautiful. I like small bridges, on sopranos I use similar dimensions to those on Martin sops. I also use the string through method, which I think allows a smaller footprint.

Timbuck
10-05-2014, 10:41 PM
With a fixed bridge, string through or whatever, the pull is still the same on the saddle tip...the lower the bridge/saddle the less strain on the top..simple lever principle ...I try for a bridge 1/4" high plus 1/16" for the saddle, this means the fretboard has to be very thin at approx: .090" .....On the "Island type uke" with no fretboard and no bridge patch and a thin top I can get away with a bit less on the saddle hight, and the shorter scale helps a bit as well ;)

Michael N.
10-06-2014, 02:49 AM
You could probably go to a quarter of that size and the bridge will still hold perfectly fine. I'm not saying you should but don't get the idea that the bridge needs a large footprint to hold 4 Ukulele strings, it doesn't.

RPA_Ukuleles
10-06-2014, 03:47 AM
What size are you building?

Here's the link to David Hurd's page on bridge size:

http://ukuleles.com/wordpress/?page_id=602

Sven
10-06-2014, 04:16 AM
I also angle the saddle slot to get it approximately in the bisecting angle of the string's angle. Or however you'd phrase that.

I want to add that slanting the saddle makes it a bit harder to place the bridge since I have to take into account that the saddle peak won't be over the expected place at the slot.

(But on a uke who cares about intonation and compensation - as soon as you pull one out everyone gets so darned happy instantly that they can't hear anything over their own laughter. And bridge size, the same with that. Who can accurately judge proportions with a face so wrinkled up by a large smile that the eyes are more or less totally shut...)

Michael Smith
10-06-2014, 07:50 AM
No larger, thicker, or heavier than necessary to do it's various jobs.

little timber
10-06-2014, 10:58 AM
What size are you building?

Here's the link to David Hurd's page on bridge size:

http://ukuleles.com/wordpress/?page_id=602

this is a tenor with an extended scale

little timber
10-06-2014, 11:00 AM
You could probably go to a quarter of that size and the bridge will still hold perfectly fine. I'm not saying you should but don't get the idea that the bridge needs a large footprint to hold 4 Ukulele strings, it doesn't.

your saying 1/4 of the pictured size? that seems like it would be itty bitty to me

Timbuck
10-06-2014, 11:02 AM
My tenor bridges are 7/8" x 4" ...that's when I last made a tenor.

Tigershark
10-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Just eyeballing that looks pretty oversized to me. Too much mass. I would go as small as possible.

Michael N.
10-07-2014, 01:23 AM
your saying 1/4 of the pictured size? that seems like it would be itty bitty to me

Well maybe not a 1/4. 1 cm x 10 cm's would suffice. I'm not stating that he should do it that size but technically speaking it would hold the string tension without problems. It's just an indication of just how small one can go, should one want to.

L'Ukes Lutherie
10-07-2014, 06:11 AM
Here's one of my bridge plans. It's 13/16" x 3" over-all, but because of the string tunnel (see section A), the contact-patch is less than 2 sq. in.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71640&d=1412696402

I don't know if it would be considered "correct" by any authority (I would welcome any opinions), but it works well for me, and I've never had one pop loose, once properly glued in place.