How To Mic a Uke Group

HokuBray

Reaction score
I have a group of uke players, which number anywhere from 30 to 50 on stage. What is the best sound system configuration for this situation? The problem is this: When we perform, our audience, can only hear the instruments plugged in and the vocal mics set onto myself and another player. I/we really want/need to hear the group as a whole. Any suggestions?

The classical way of amplifying a group like this is the same way you amplify a choir. You use a pair of small diameter condenser microphones in an overhead position. You need to be able to supply phantom power to condenser microphones.

Anthony

I recently setup a sound kit to video group performances using two Azden WMS-Pro battery operated wireless kits. Each has a sender and lavaliere or hand mic, which I put on a tall light stand with an arm extension to get the mics hanging above the group. The receivers go into an Azden mini three channel stereo mixer, then into my video camera (or audio recorder). Works very well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3659-REG/Azden_WMS_PRO_WMS_PRO_VHF_Wireless_Lavalier.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3631-REG/Azden_CAM_3_CAM_3_3_Channel_Mic_Mixer.html

I'd consider XY with a pair of cardiod condenser mics panned hard left and right, and "yes" on the lead player plugged in, but mixed properly...as in not too loud.

Thanks so much for all of your responses! There are several "sound" ideas presented here. The next question is: How do we hear ourselves? I mean, we cannot use stage monitors with the cardiod or supercardioid condenser mics... Any ideas???

In such circumstances, no, no foldback. Choirs don't have foldback and for such a large group of acoustic players you will have to work like a choir.

Anthony

In such circumstances, no, no foldback. Choirs don't have foldback and for such a large group of acoustic players you will have to work like a choir.

Anthony

Thank you Anthony. I was thinking the group needs to be mic'd like a choir. I am looking at 3 Shure sm81 mic's spaced about 9 feet apart set high and angled toward the back row. But, what is "foldback"?

Thank you Anthony. I was thinking the group needs to be mic'd like a choir. I am looking at 3 Shure sm81 mic's spaced about 9 feet apart set high and angled toward the back row. But, what is "foldback"?

Foldback is speaker(s) (usually wedge shaped) facing the performers so they can hear themselves and, more importantly, each other. They are necessary as the sound from the PA is projected away from the performers. Getting levels right can be tricky as they can be a source of feedback.

Foldback is speaker(s) (usually wedge shaped) facing the performers so they can hear themselves and, more importantly, each other. They are necessary as the sound from the PA is projected away from the performers. Getting levels right can be tricky as they can be a source of feedback.

We constantly have trouble with this in our choir. Make the monitor loud enough to hear, deal with feedback, lower it enough, and the choir can't hear it. It is definitely a delicate balancing act.

What our band does is use a Bose (Classic in one band, Compact in another). No need for monitors, no feedback. Period. So, perhaps a condensor mic into a Bose unit. the Bose can be behind the ukes and there will be no feedback.

Yes, fold back monitors and stage monitors are interchangeable. I used to be part of a youth choir MANY moons ago. No amplification and no monitors back then. Yes its a learning experience yet I was happy to only hear those in my section. I was worried about getting my part wrong if I was listening to someone else.

Anthony

Aloha Ricdoug,
I liked how you "miked" the performance of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". It was a great mixing of sound and performance. I'm using the same set up too. It works very well. Say hello to the gang at Molly Blooms for me, I'll see you in San Clemente this January 2015.
Reno Dave

Top Bottom