6 string ukuleles

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day guys, just wondering what peoples thoughts are about 6 string ukes, i know there great for strumming, but can you still pull off small amounts of picking, and whats there song prrojection like, the main one im talking about is a pono solid koa 6 string with pickup....

hey, im intersested in these too. sorry i don't have the answers to your questions, but wondered if i could add a few.

do they play like guitars, with guitar tuning??? just smaller?

peace :cheers: and beer

hey, im intersested in these too. sorry i don't have the answers to your questions, but wondered if i could add a few.

peace :cheers: and beer

the one im getting is tuned high g gcea

I personally do not like playing 6 sting ukes. I have only had one exsperience for a littl eover a week. To me the one I had was way to mellow and almost sounded like a guitar. I have been told they take some getting used to. But some people love the sound right from the start. It is possible to pick with a 6 string but it is kind of tricky with the doubled up strings and probably takes alot of practice.

As for the tuning it is not like a guitar. It is played similar to any 4 string. Same chord shapes and notes on the fretboard. The C and A strings are doubled up with a high and low octave. Something like GCcEAa.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

One of the guys we jam with has a Kamaka 6 and it sounds great with good volume. He fingerpicks on it with no problems especially when we're playing traditional Hawaiian. On my 6 string, the A is unison and the C octave. You can also opt for a low G should you desire.

One of the guys we jam with has a Kamaka 6 and it sounds great with good volume. He fingerpicks on it with no problems especially when we're playing traditional Hawaiian. On my 6 string, the A is unison and the C octave. You can also opt for a low G should you desire.

would you recommend getting a 6 string, if there tuned in high g do they still keep that sweet hawiian sound also when hes picking the strings with 2 strings as one, does he pick both or just the one

I just got my 6 string back. I changed the strings to a low G and it is booming. When I first played the six string it was a different sound that took me a little used to hearing but I play with a guitar player alot and the six string helps me be heard. It is like playing a 12 string guitar. I picked it up and was strumming and picking in no time at all. The head is a little heavier because it's got two extra tuners but other than that it is the same as my four stringger.

Actually, It has four normally tuned strings, one paired up with C, an octave higher, and another paired up with A, in unison.

I asked Aldrine why he played a four string instead of a 6 string, because I thought 6 strings were better. Check out the UGM for that

-Miso

would you recommend getting a 6 string, if there tuned in high g do they still keep that sweet hawiian sound also when hes picking the strings with 2 strings as one, does he pick both or just the one

WHen he picks, it's one string at a time. If you can get a good deal, I would get it. I have a Kala 6 and I plan to get a Kaka 6.

Top Bottom