A Concert Uke Question

BuddhaFuzz

Reaction score
Hello, I've been doing research in finding a new ukelele. I like the deep, rich sound of the Tenor body size but prefer the neck on my current Concert - particularly the neck width around frets 1-3.

I have seen Concerts with a Tenor neck and Sopranos with a longer neck... have makers made a Concert neck on a Tenor body? Would something like that be a custom made Uke?

In my search for the deepest sounding Concert, I have been going back to the KoAloha brand but wanted to see if I am missing another option.

I believe the ML series from Boat Paddle Ukulele fits the bill of what you're after. They offer a concert neck on a tenor body.

You are right about Koaloha. The deepest of the K's I think. You have like the Koaloha sound, though. Personally, I like it. Any Koa uke sounds warmer and deeper, at least to my ears.

The trick is finding one that has a warm deep sound but still has the clarity and punch of a good uke. Many inexpensive uke sound warm and deep, but muddy. With higher end ukes, this isn't so much a problem. My new Wm King soprano sound very warm and full but but sounds like a harp up and down the fretboard.

I'm a concert player and have heard good things about the Blackbird Clara eKoa ukuleles - they are supposed to get a nice, big sound.

I have a cedar/rosewood Ohana concert and it has an incredibly nice, full sound, due in large part to the nice wood combination.

Kanilea's seem to have a little bit larger body and wider neck, than normal.

Check out the Iriguchi IDeale. Sounds like it's made for you.

Proprietary New Size!

Overall length: 25.5″
Scale length: Variable from 15-17″
Total # frets: 16-18
Frets to the body: 12/13/14

The IDeale is a new size body that is in between a Concert and a Tenor. It’s the ‘Momma Bear’ of ukuleles, in other words, it’s ‘just right’. Because of it’s perfect size, it can be set up with a 15″ scale with 12 frets to the body, a 16″ scale with 13 frets to the body or a 17″ scale with 14 frets to the body. In each of these cases the bridge and saddle are in exactly the same place. It has the big voice of a tenor but can be made more compact to be more portable and to fit smaller players.

Popular options:
side soundport(s)
custom milk paint on back/sides
K&K Sound Twin Spot internal pickup

http://iriguchiukuleles.com/ukuleles-2/models-sizes/

On a budget? Check out the Kamoa super concert...can probably get quite a deal on one now.

Grand concert : a grand concert is a longer string length than the concert, shorter than the deadline. The professional size ( 14 full- fearless distressed body shape ) has a big bottom end and maintenance sweet treble that is the spirit of the ukulele .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=421vIo-2X7Q

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies, did not realize that many options were available. Looks like I have more researching to do. My initial parameters are: the sound of the KoAloha tenor but want a concert sized neck... my budget is around 1500.00. Like all things, what I want tends to change day to day as more information is available. Thanks again.

I'm a concert player and have heard good things about the Blackbird Clara eKoa ukuleles - they are supposed to get a nice, big sound.

They certainly do and I can second that recommendation.

@BuddhaFuzz: I had the same objective. Never thought I'd play anything but tenor but have found concerts and sopranos more comfortable to play. You might also experiment with some different strings on your current concert before making further investment. I really like how the Aquila Reds sound in the lower register without being boomy.

You might like the Kamaka Ohta-san. Deep rich tones, concert body, slightly longer fingerboard. (15-15/16")

Last edited:
I always wondered why there are long neck sopranos and concerts, but haven't heard of short neck Tenors or concerts, or large body soprano or concerts. To me the scale length should determine if it's a tenor, concert or soprano. i.e., IMHO a long neck soprano should be called a small body concert, but that's a whole other can of worms, now I'm confused...

With your budget, a "custom" is within your reach. Wonder if Ko'Aloha would make you a short scale tenor?

Spoke with KoAloha... they are unable to mate a concert neck to a tenor body. The scale length of the neck would cause the bridge to be located in a position they do not believe would provide optimal sound. Gotta respect those that say why something shouldn't be done, rather than simply saying "no" or making something just for the sell.

Ive made two last year, tenor body with concert scale neck. Tenor deep warm sound but easy to play concert scale. If your in honolulu your welcome to try the first prototype

Last edited:
Top Bottom