Custom U-Bass prgress

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just received two photos of the custom fretless u-bass Bruce Wei in Vietnam is making me. Almost time for NUD.

U-Bass BWA2 front.jpg

U-Bass BWA2 back.jpg

And just to show that I'm fully infected by UAS, this morning I ordered a custom solid body electric micro bass from Bruce Herron at Blue Star Guitar Company in Michigan. This is the mock up I made for him. (Guess I can't get away from Bruce luthiers.)

Tele Bass build2.jpg

Last edited:
BSG! Didn't know he made basses but not surprised. What's the scale length on these?

BSG! Didn't know he made basses but not surprised. What's the scale length on these?

Apparently he'll make anything you request, he says he's been doing it for 30 years. The scale is 22" just like the Les Paul guitar conversion I did a few weeks ago. I actually wanted to convert a Telecaster at the time, but there are no 22" scale out there, so I settled on the Les Paul. Then last week someone here on UU mentioned Blue Star. I looked at his web site saw a custom Telecaster that I mistakenly thought was short scale. When I contacted him about making one as a bass, he clarified it was full scale, but he could make me a small bass version to my specs.

I assume the Blue Star will have a magnetic pickup. Which one? What strings will you put on it? What is the width at the nut?

I assume the Blue Star will have a magnetic pickup. Which one? What strings will you put on it? What is the width at the nut?

I'm obtaining all the parts to send him except the Tele style ashtray bridge plate, which he's customizing for bass, plus I'm sending ferrules, strap buttons and a small plate for the back to anchor the strings. He still has to determine the exact size of the nut.

Tele bass parts.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I did not know about those. Crap and the others just arrived. Thanks very much. Now for some redesign work.

Wait, I looked them up and I don't want the copper color, and in a video sample, they sounded too metallic for me. The Rotosound Tru-Bass black coated on my Les Paul sound real good. I'm going to look up the steel sound.

Last edited:
I'm confused. In the photo you posted in your first post about your custom fretless base, the instrument has frets.

Top Bottom