Strings for Mainland tenor?

Helms

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Recently I've been looking a lot into low-G songs, and thought I'd give it a go.
I've tried several times to equip my Mainland with different low-G brands, but every time the result has been bad. I don't like wound strings, and all the unwound strings causes buzzing.

I've decided I'd try to restring my Kanile'a with low-g unwound Living Water strings.
Therefor I am looking for some great strings for Mainland. I'd really like to use Living Water on it, but unfortunately it seem to cause too much buzzing.
I'm not too keen on aquila (at least not the regulars, that comes packed with every uke), and don't have much experience with other strings.

What do you guys use for your Mainlands (or other tenors) to really make them sound fantastic?

EDIT: Didn't make myself clear - at all - I'm searching for high-g strings for my Mainland :)

Last edited:
Get South Coast mediums with the wound G & C strings. It sounds so much more balanced and less boomy that just a wound G string set up. Get the polished wounds if you don't like squeaking. Disclaimer: I don 't have a uke with this set up but have played 6 different ukes with this set up and really liked it and I am typically a non low G guy. My Pono ET-PC that is in transit will eventually get these strings as I already have them in hand

For nonwound Low G give the Aquila Reds a try, you can buy just the single low G string.

Last edited:
I have been playing a Worth Clear Low G and the rest Worth Browns. I like the warm sound of the Browns.

I have the Living Water Low G set on my Pono tenor. Sounds rich and wonderful.

I got a used Mainland mahogany tenor with Living Water low G and there's no buzzing.

Did Living Water cause buzzing even with the High G strings?

Aquila reds have been my go to for anything tenor and up!

Top Bottom