Princess of the Streets - Audacity

exoticices

Reaction score
I have become addicated to Audacity. This is the latest - an arrangement of 'Princess of the Streets' by the non-punk punk band, The Strangles IV.
https://soundcloud.com/exoticices/princess
(It's best with headphones or decent speakers.)

I did the uke track then used that for over-dubbing the vocals and keyboard. I wanted to experiment (mess about) with stereo panning, e.g. having a constant organ sound on one channel with a pulsing (or octave higher) organ sound on the other channel.

Incidentally, I used a Behringer C1 mic for the vocals and was really pleased that it worked! I had previously used it through a Behringer 302 mixing box into the usb port on a Windows laptop and the volume was ridiculously low, to the point of being unusable. The 'net suggested this was a common fault with the mic. However... this time I recorded into the mic/line-in of a Linux laptop and it was perfect! Who would have thought that something would be crap on Windows but perfect on Linux?

I had a similar problem. Plugging the mic into the mic/line in worked OK on my Windows Laptop. Using my Behringer X1222USB connected to the USB port on my windows laptop=virtually no volume. I solved it by messing with the microphone input drop box in Audacity in order to set it to the USB input. I think from memory it will do that automatically if you start Audacity first then plug in the USB connection from the mixer to the PC.

I think my problem was with the usb drivers rather than Audacity. Apparently within Windows you can adjust how usb ports handle audio input but depending on which version of Windows you have and which drivers it can be easy or difficult to do.

From what I can gather, one of the main reasons for using a usb port (rather than the line/mic-in that goes through the soundcard) is that some soundcards have little/no shielding so can suffer from electronic noise. Fortunately I don't get any noise interferance from my Linux laptop soundcard so the line/mic-in port is fine.

Top Bottom