Humidifier time

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just a public service reminder to those in the upper Northern Hemisphere-

Humidifiers go in when furnace goes on!

Do your favorite instrument a favor and keep it humidified. You can make them yourself fairly easily:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...als&highlight=water+absorb+crystal+humidifier

A hygrometer is nice to see what the humidity levels are but any humidifying is better then none.

Happy uking and stay warm

I live in Arizona and spend time in the summer in Colorado, so it's always humidifier time for my solids. I prefer Oasis, they're easy and compact.

I have a Herco humidifier and pill bottles. I was re-wetting every week to two weeks over the summer.

My latest ukulele was upgraded to the Oasis. I use it to determine refilling all the others as it seems to need filling every five to seven days. So, my house - which needs a dehumidifier in the summer - is drier in the fall than I thought as far as instruments are concerned. Now I am glad I keep the ukuleles in cases as I thought I would have a humid enough environment to leave a few out.

I have a Herco humidifier and pill bottles. I was re-wetting every week to two weeks over the summer.

My latest ukulele was upgraded to the Oasis. I use it to determine refilling all the others as it seems to need filling every five to seven days. So, my house - which needs a dehumidifier in the summer - is drier in the fall than I thought as far as instruments are concerned. Now I am glad I keep the ukuleles in cases as I thought I would have a humid enough environment to leave a few out.

I'm surprised you saw a need to humidify your ukes in the summer, while at the same time dehumidifying your house. Have you actually measured the humidity in the cases with a reliable hygrometer? I'm no expert (and just asking) but do believe it's possible to over humidify. Too wet isn't as bad as too dry as far as the wood is concerned and it can also lead to mold in the cases.

Most folks say to try for the 40%-60% in case/house range. Remember that the outside relative humidity is quiet different than inside the house. Furnaces/AC remove lots of moisture.

Top Bottom