Clawhammer vs. Classical?

spazus_maximus

Reaction score
I usually see folks finger picking with just their Thumb & Index finger (clawhammer) on the Uke.

Does anyone play with Thumb & 3 Fingers? (That's how I've been playing?)

Is there an advantage to either of them?

Also does any one have a llist of common picking patterns for arpeggios on the uke?

Thanks in advance.

No Idea, but I usually pick with a three finger (well, thumb pointer middle) roll kind of like you do a banjo, where the thumb does the top two strings. That might just be because I play baritone which has to bass notes up top, so you can do that kind of alternating bass note thing....

which you can kind of see in this silly video whose lyrics you should ignore ;)

Clawhammer is a specific style of picking, not just using the thumb and index. You're actually striking the strings with much the same motion as knocking on a door.

It's harder than it sounds (at least to me). I've attacked the thing several times and still can't get it right.

I play banjo, but when I pick guitar or ukulele, I tend to use thumb and three fingers, and sometimes I toss in the pinky too. It usually depends on how much strumming is going to be tossed in with the picking. if I am strumming and catching a few melody notes, its the thumb and maybe a finger. If its all picking, I bring everyone to the party.

On my latest bring the song entry I am playing clawhammer. Basically you strike the string in a downward motion using the back of your fingernail, and then follow it with a downward strum and a pluck of the top string with your thumb. It works nice with the re-entrant tunings, because its a little like the banjo's high fifth string.

In my small experience with fingerpicking, I've found two very simple patterns that almost always work.

1 = thumb on 4th string
2 = index on 3rd string
3 = middle on 2nd string
4 = ring on 1st string

If the song is in 3/4 time, try:
-------4-----------4-------
-----3---3-------3---3----
---2-------2---2-------2--
-1-----------1-------------

If the song is in 4/4 time, try:
---------4---------
-----3----3---3---
---2---2----2-----
-1-----------------

Thanks CulpRJ....I'm assuming RJ?

I like that second pattern...I'll be using that.

Top Bottom