NUD, but not for me. (Mainland Mike, you owe me! :)

Preacher

Reaction score
So as part of my job, I give presentations to other pastors on the topic of ministerial health. (The rate of depression among ministers in Protestant churches is well above the national average for the general public.)

At my last presentation a couple weeks ago I brought up the idea that learning to play a musical instrument is a good way to relieve stress and do something fun outside of "work." I had my Mainland Mahogany Tenor with me and mentioned learning to play the uke as an example from my own life. One of the ministers there is a former Lebanese terrorist who is now a Christian minister. He was quite taken with my ukulele and asked me many questions about it. Today, he told me he just got his Mainland Spruce Tenor and is very happy with it! He wants to use it to play Arabic songs in his community.

How cool is that! The ukulele crosses all boundaries!

Yes, this.

Deciding to play the ukulele has been a turning point in this preacher's depression.

That is really cool. Whenever I have my ukulele with me, I just place it in people's hands and talk to them about how fun it is, how easy it is to get started, and how it is better than any blood pressure medication out there. It is definitely a mood lifter and stress reliever.

Nice story. It's always comfortable to remember that my uke doesn't judge me.

Mine does. It hates hubris, and moves the frets and strings on me when I get too confident. It must have been a Calvinist in its last incarnation.

So as part of my job, I give presentations to other pastors on the topic of ministerial health. (The rate of depression among ministers in Protestant churches is well above the national average for the general public.)

At my last presentation a couple weeks ago I brought up the idea that learning to play a musical instrument is a good way to relieve stress and do something fun outside of "work." I had my Mainland Mahogany Tenor with me and mentioned learning to play the uke as an example from my own life. One of the ministers there is a former Lebanese terrorist who is now a Christian minister. He was quite taken with my ukulele and asked me many questions about it. Today, he told me he just got his Mainland Spruce Tenor and is very happy with it! He wants to use it to play Arabic songs in his community.

How cool is that! The ukulele crosses all boundaries!

Wow, cool....
I'm a former Lesbian terrorist, who is now a nurse/business owner/ukulele player. Hospice nurses get WAY depressed sometimes, so we have a lot in common!

Top Bottom