Aaug5sus4 chord?

misterdub

Reaction score
I've been lurking around in the forums for a bit now. Just got my first ukulele a couple of weeks ago and *loving* it.

I've already taught myself one full song (still rough, but I can make it through it!) and working on my second. I'm working on the Hero of Canton, from the Firefly TV show, but there's a chord in there I haven't seen yet and can't seem to find any details on: Aaug5sus4? I used one of those online chord finders and didn't even see a good way of entering it. I also checked chordette and couldn't find it.

Can someone help me the fingering for this chord and any tips on what all the abbreviations mean? This is probably going to touch on music theory but what's the aug and sus mean?

Last edited:
Where on earth did you get that chord? It is a chord that you shouldn't ever see. Bizarre.

Basically, Aaug5sus4 is A augmented fifth suspended four. Whoever came up with that was really stretching and was probably high on illicit substances. ;)

An A augmented chord is spelled A C# E#. The E# is the augmented fifth. The suspended four means that you get rid of the third (C#) and replace it with the fourth (D). So Aaug5sus4 is A D E#. Replace that E# with its enharmonic F and you have A D F. Or Dm/A (D minor with A in the bass).

Dm will do ... 2210.

Haha, thanks!

That makes sense. There's a Dm E7 Am progression throughout this verse and for the last line it was Aaug5sus4 E7 Am. So it makes sense a Dm would fit. I just thought they were using it for an accent or something.

Sounds like they just threw it in to be cruel. :D Thanks again (especially for the explanation of what it all means).

Haha, thanks!

That makes sense. There's a Dm E7 Am progression throughout this verse and for the last line it was Aaug5sus4 E7 Am. So it makes sense a Dm would fit. I just thought they were using it for an accent or something.

Sounds like they just threw it in to be cruel. :D Thanks again (especially for the explanation of what it all means).

You're welcome!

It's an awful way to print that chord. You're just strumming along and digging the song and then :eek:.

Wow. Seriously. Reminds me of a post I made awhile back. Difference being, I was joking (and sober). :D

JJ

Classic. :D

Top Bottom