My Apologies and an Explanation

Luke El U

Reaction score
Dear Fellow UU Members,

First, my apology to any Muslim members in this UU community. My deleted post was understandably misinterpreted as a cheap attack on Islam. That was not my intent at all. I should have presented it to the forum like this: How would YOU FEEL if you were a Muslim and you read the thread title, "Is Mecca, Saudi Arabia anti-ukulele???"

My guess is that you would immediately recognize it as someone poking fun at your religion - in the exact same way that at least one Mormon did interpret the thread that continues to run under the title, "Is Salt Lake City, Utah anti-ukulele???"

Even though I'm an atheist, I've always loved the way this community goes out of its way to banish hate and negativity and continue to spread the love and good will towards our fellow ukulele players and all of humanity. And I think that's exactly what the people who responded to my post were thinking. They wanted to banish what they perceived as a kind of racism coming from me.

In hindsight, I see that my approach was poorly thought through. I wrongly assumed that everyone would understand my intent. And for any offense caused by my blunder, I am very, very sorry.

Sincerely,

Bill a.k.a. Luke

Your genuine apology should be accepted by all who were previously offended or concerned that some might be offended. To err is human and sloppy prose is more of a common cause of misinterpretation. I guess that is why many cultures have a day set aside to ask forgiveness from our communities for our transgressions. At the end of Ramadan, the Muslim fast, there is a special day where among other things you ask your friends, family, community to forgive you for you transgressions. Having taken part in a few of these fasts as a sign of respect when I lived in Muslim countries, I saw the cathartic benefit of asking for, being asked and giving forgiveness. I really respect you Bill for having the courage and heart to make your intentions known.

Bill, although your apology is gracious, it is not necessary. The thread has been forgotten already due to the ephemeral nature of the internet forums.

One could solve the ills of the world, post it on a forum, and, by the next day, it'll have sunk to the basement, unread and unloved, supplanted at the top by titillating threads about Monday Night Football and Bruce Jenner turning into a woman.

Besides, posts that we would "take back" are natural to all. Although I've never had one, I hear most others have. :)

Bill, although your apology is gracious, it is not necessary. The thread has been forgotten already due to the ephemeral nature of the internet forums.

One could solve the ills of the world, post it on a forum, and, by the next day, it'll have sunk to the basement, unread and unloved, supplanted at the top by titillating threads about Monday Night Football and Bruce Jenner turning into a woman.

Besides, posts that we would "take back" are natural to all. Although I've never had one, I hear most others have. :)

Hey. You take that back dude!!!

Somebody say somethin'?

Last edited:
I forgot about it too, but thanks for your heartfelt apology. I can tell it was real.
(Psst, I'm an athiest too)

Top Bottom